Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excessive Engine Noise When Under Load?

top banana

Hi

Had my 2008 (58) new shape Focus 1.6 TDCI for just over 2 months now (Ford Direct) and after a couple niggles which have been sorted, just querying the engine noise when accellorating normally or at any time when engine under load..... I know diesels are more noisey but this seems a little more than normal.

The engine appears to be noisier than other diesels around, like a lot more 'rattle' noise.

If you rev the engine in neutral its fine and the noise does not happen.

car has now done 14000 miles so not massive mileage and oil usage is nothing. There is a slight I mean slight vibration on the clutch pedal when in neutral.

The engine bay looks like it has been steam cleaned in the past, as I am having to re-protect the earth points to the engine bay as the grease been cleaned off!

Car drives fine as far as I can tell

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steam cleaning modern engines is an absolute NO NO. there should be a warning in the car manual to warn owners NEVER to steam clean their engines. It does untold damage to the terminals. the sensitive electrics and engine management system can be broken through steam cleaning. Plus when parts of the engine are exposed to excessive water this in the long term can cause rust.

DONT DO IT.................

Steam cleaning modern engines is an absolute NO NO. there should be a warning in the car manual to warn owners NEVER to steam clean their engines. It does untold damage to the terminals. the sensitive electrics and engine management system can be broken through steam cleaning. Plus when parts of the engine are exposed to excessive water this in the long term can cause rust.

DONT DO IT.................

Cheers for that, I never do it. it was done by prevous owner / dealer.

When weather warms up, will be going over engine with fine tooth comb more, re greasing areas!

more worried about the noise of the engine. wondering if an early oil change would help?

I have same engine as you 1.6TDCI 06 model. when i set off in 1st gear my engine tends to make quite a lot of noise, but i take it for granted. Maybe because your car is quite new it may still need running in so to speak.Its a diesel so i would not be too concerned. Its a pity you cant drive a similar car and make a comparison.

By the way, the other post was not aimed at you ,but anyone who may do the steam cleaning.

I have same engine as you 1.6TDCI 06 model. when i set off in 1st gear my engine tends to make quite a lot of noise, but i take it for granted. Maybe because your car is quite new it may still need running in so to speak.Its a diesel so i would not be too concerned. Its a pity you cant drive a similar car and make a comparison.

By the way, the other post was not aimed at you ,but anyone who may do the steam cleaning.

AT THT MILEAGE THE ENGINES ALMOST NEW IT WILL TAKE A GOOD WHILE TO RUN IN PROPERLY AND( oh !Removed! just noticed my daughter pushed the caps button sorry) in my experien ce they tend to quieten a bit as they get older and ive always found most diesels to be especially noisy in first and secont but quieter in higher gears

Yeah when i'm coasting in 4th gear i dont notice any noise at all. Yet to take mine on the motorway to see how noisy it will be there. I did however notice this morning in the rain that the road noise was a bit excessive.

Yeah when i'm coasting in 4th gear i dont notice any noise at all. Yet to take mine on the motorway to see how noisy it will be there. I did however notice this morning in the rain that the road noise was a bit excessive.

Cheers for all your comments, no offence taken regarding steam cleaning. Will test drive a friends diesel 2007 focus at weekend although its a 1.8 TDCI.

will also 'lube up' areas on engine bay that require it. anything I need to look for apart from earth points?

AT THT MILEAGE THE ENGINES ALMOST NEW IT WILL TAKE A GOOD WHILE TO RUN IN PROPERLY AND( oh !Removed! just noticed my daughter pushed the caps button sorry) in my experien ce they tend to quieten a bit as they get older and ive always found most diesels to be especially noisy in first and secont but quieter in higher gears

Cheers for the reassurance there. will of course keep you updated as to how car does with age!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club