Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Ford Focus 2016 locked me out!

Mark42

Hi All,

I have an odd problem I could use some help with. I was locked out of my 2016 Focus 1.0EB Style after leaving it for about 45 min and neither the key nor either remote would unlock it. I had to get a recovery guy to break in for me - thankfully it has rear window winders. Once the key went in the ignition the doors un-deadlocked and I could open them. Since then it's behaving completely normally!

Following some testing, I have found that on my car that if I lock it normally by pressing the remote button once, I can unlock it by twisting the key in the door lock. However if I deadlock the car (by pressing the remote lock button twice in 3 seconds), then I cannot unlock it using the key in the door, only by pressing the button on one of the remotes.

Can anyone tell me if this is by design or does my car have a fault? - please don't lock yourself out trying!  If it's by design, then does anyone know how you are supposed to open a car that's deadlocked if the remote isn't working?

Thanks and regards,

Mark.

I previously thought that if the deadlocks are on it can not be unlocked by turning the key, but I am sure i saw someone on one of these ford forums say that it will still unlock it you turn the key really really hard. But I am reluctant to try it in case key breaks. But I would think the recovery would know that - so perhaps it isn't true.

As above, you can unlock deadlocks with the key blade but it will need extra force to overcome the deadlock solenoid.  If you have rear winders it's easier just to push the window glass down tbh, no chance of any damage like that.

• Like 1

Of course you can unlock with key . The purpose of deadlocks is to block the inside door handle from working. So breaking a window wont be any help. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies, I agree it makes sense the deadlock is resisting the key but I also don't want to try turning the key any harder.

Getting the rear window down was not trivial for the recovery guy, he had to wedge the door and turn the winder. I'm not sure what you would do if you didn't have winders.

Reading the car manual it says that if you leave the car locked for "several weeks" the remote is disabled. While I don't know what disabled my remote in just 45 mins, it seems there should be a way into a deadlocked car with a disabled remote.

I think I'll take a trip to the dealer to see if they have any more ideas if I'm there in person.

19 hours ago, Mark42 said:

Reading the car manual it says that if you leave the car locked for "several weeks" the remote is disabled. While I don't know what disabled my remote in just 45 mins, it seems there should be a way into a deadlocked car with a disabled remote

My Mk3 disabled itself after several weeks without use. I hadn't been aware of this "feature" (missed seeing it in the manual). By pure chance it turned out I used the correct procedure to re-enable it. Mine was deadlocked but the key blade inside the remote (keyless start) unlocked the drivers door ok, which set off the alarm, after which I started the engine and everything was working again.

I don't recall having to use any excess force to unlock the door against the deadlock although the way the blade fits into the fob body (at right angles) does give quite a bit of leverage.

• Like 1

perhaps the answer is not to ever deadlock the car (press button on remote once to lock instead of twice - I think that is it isn't it)

The chances of having deadlocks on if you have a normal car (not ST etc) compared to having them not on is unlikely to ever make any difference to any theft or damage that is likely to occur as I see it.

I found on my previous car that I only needed to use excessive force in the lock once. After that the key would work fine when the car is deadlocked.

Thanks again for the replies and you are right - it does work if you apply enough force! I tried again and this time, a firm turn anti-clockwise activated the central locking.

Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head in that until this episode ,I don't think I had ever put the key in the lock at all and I think the lack of use exacerbates the problem.

I feel a bit stupid for not trying harder at the time but slightly vindicated that the recovery guy did try, and failed, too!

• Like 1

I lock my car all the time with a double click on the remote, activating deadlocks for the sole reason I get an indicator response to show the car is locked. If you press it only once, you are never sure if you've locked the darn thing or not, not the best of designs!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club