Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 focus 1.6tdci wont start and no lights on dash

Matt31

Hi i hope someone can help, my dad has a 55 reg focus 1.6tdci and has just had a new battery fitted but now the lights on the dashboard dont come on and the engine wont turn over. It did start twice with new battery but stopped straight away, faut code reader with forscan software used and came up with a lot of codes main one is faut with ignition and two Cambus codes and codes for accelerator pedal, break pedal and clutch sorry cant remember code numbers 

Can you clear all the codes and see if that helps? Its a possibility its related to the immobliser? I had similar and had to clear all showing codes and then was fine. That happened after disconecting the battery.

If you're getting canbus communication error codes that would likely generate a lot of other spurious codes. This sounds like it could be the well-known solder joint problem with Mk2 instrument clusters. You could try hitting the top of the cluster with your fist, that might temporarily clear the faults or start to throw different codes which would pin the fault down to the cluster. @Tdci-Peter is one of the members to advise on these kinds of problems.

• Like 1

one of the problems with reading codes for first time is that they are not dated and some can be old from previous problems/ hiccups. you always need to clear codes and then see which ones come back again.

the instrument clusters do have a well known fault. The connector on back of cluster is 32 pin (i think). the solder on the 32 pins connecting to printed circuit board cracks causing all sorts of problems. The pins can be resoldered (delicate fine soldering with thin tipped soldering iron). but to get to the soldering the cluster needs dismantling fully, including taking the needs pointers off all of the gauges. I have done this. there are some youtube videos showing how.

Also, some people have had problems caused by the big electrical connector plugs leading to the ECU needing contacts cleaning up. One of these is the big connector plug in the engine bay fusebox (called connector C90).

I did not realise how complicated the mk2 focus was with regard to the electrical stuff (two canbus systems - highspeed canbus for engine - low speed canbus for other electrical stuff) until I helped my brother sort out many problems with his focus. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:51 AM, Matt31 said:

now the lights on the dashboard dont come on and the engine wont turn over. It did start twice with new battery but stopped straight away, faut code reader with forscan software used and came up with a lot of codes main one is faut with ignition and two Cambus codes and codes for accelerator pedal, break pedal and clutch

It is a little early (55 reg) for the 2006 cluster soldering problem, but still possible. It needs more detailed info about what lights come on and when, whether the immobiliser LED is flashing, and what code number it is flashing, and if Forscan can still communicate with the car at all.

It does sound like a HS-CAN bus fault. But also check the fuses in the engine bay fuse box and passenger fusebox, especially any for the IC (instrument cluster) or for the PCM / ECU.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for that there is no lights on the dashboard not even the immobiliser light is flashing and there is nothing ont the little screen for mileage. Forscan can still communicate with the car but will have to look at the car again fir codes 

8 hours ago, Matt31 said:

there is no lights on the dashboard not even the immobiliser light is flashing and there is nothing ont the little screen for mileage. Forscan can still communicate with the car

Check the illumination of other switches, they use the same illumination source, from the light switch. Also double check  fuses F46, F67 & F68, they all supply the cluster (IC). See what else works, like wipers, lights etc. They are controlled from a separate module, if most of them work, then at least battery power is getting to some of the car.

There are fuses in the engine bay fuse box also: F3 powers lot of stuff including the IC. F9, F30, F35 & F36 all power the ECU.

If Forscan can communicate with the ECU/PCM (which is the first thing it does), then the HS-CAN bus must be working from the DLC (diagnostic socket) to the PCM, which is most of it.

Eliminating battery, main battery fuses, IC fuses and the CAN bus just leaves a fault inside the IC as about the only remaining option. There are a great many reports about the reliability of the soldering between the main socket on the IC and the pcb. Something I have experienced myself. However, it is still sensible to eliminate as much as possible before assuming that is the fault. There are Youtubes on removing and repairing the IC, and I did a little pdf on it:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

• Like 2

Hi thanks for that tdci-peter il have a look the next time im at my father's il post my findings after thanks

• Like 2

Hi just to say that iv looked at all the fuses in my father's car and the connecters all a ok so its down to the insument cluster, will be trying to fix it when have time thanks for all your help 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club