Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Nut Advice

jonj1611

Just tried to get the nuts off the wheel spacers on my car and put so much force into it I have cracked 1 Halfords Advanced 21mm 6 side socket and a 21mm 6 side impact socket! Whoever put these on has done them stupidly tight, I have even had them soaking with release spray for hours and they are not even moving. Because of the small amount of space can only get thin walled sockets in there, had to take the outer cover off the impact socket just to get it to fit.

What to do? Will I need to get an impact wrench to get them off?

God knows what the size of the nut is 20mm is too small but 21mm seems a little loose.

Now I would normally probably not worry about the hassle and put the wheel back on but as I have put release spray on, concerned the nuts will undo themselves while driving, any advice on that?

Thanks, at a bit of a loose end on this one

Think for the time being will keep the spacers on but am concerned about the penetrating fluid, most will evaporate and I did read it won't penetrate the thread if the nuts can't move, anyone shed any light on that? My obvious concern is the nuts coming undone while moving.

Cracked an impact socket!?  How on earth did you manage that?  They're designed to take hundreds of Nm's of force and sudden impact! :unsure: I've never broken a Halfords impact socket (or indeed any impact socket!) in 10 years lol, have broken plenty of Torx bits though, Halfords should replace any of the Advanced ones for free under lifetime warranty if you take them back.

The nuts won't undo themselves.  Penetrating spray just loosens rust on the top of the threads really, it doesn't actually loosen the nut itself and it doesn't penetrate as far as the name would suggest either tbh.  Have you used decent spray like Plusgas or just WD40?  It sounds like you will need an impact gun to get them off...although from what you've said even that may just round the nut or damage the threads so heat may be necessary as well.

Not sure what to suggest about the nut size as it's obviously an aftermarket part.  Seems very unlikely but I wonder if it's an imperial size?  

Can't imagine what you mean by taking the outer cover off an impact socket??                                                                                                                     If you haven't got a windy gun, then can you borrow one? I bet they've been tightened up with one!            I know this doesn't help you right now, but I bought one from Aldi/Lidl <£40, 2 years ago have only just started to use it this week when I couldn't manage to undo nuts any other way. Look out for them coming into the stores any time soon.                                           Alternatively, try one if those impact drivers you bash with a hammer, did you know they have got a 1/2 Square drive on them?  (you pull off the screwdriver bit holder). <£8 at Toolstation  product code 90581

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Can't imagine what you mean by taking the outer cover off an impact socket??   

Nylon sleeve, to prevent wheel damage, like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Nylon-Sleeve-Car-Wheel-Nut-1-2inch-Drive-Socket-Air-Impact-Laser-Tool-17mm/123931448443?hash=item1cdae3d47b:g:NqsAAOSwLP9dmvzt

When I got my focus the wheel nuts were stupidly tight. Big breaker bar and a scaffold pole over the end got most of them off that I needed off. The rest waited till I bought a big nut runner and they flew off with little to no effort lol.

Don't bother with penetrating fluid. It won't get far enough down the threads and won't get past the taper of the nut either.

My mk2 focus ST has 19mm nuts though. I take it you're running aftermarket nuts or something?

10 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

My mk2 focus ST has 19mm nuts though. I take it you're running aftermarket nuts or something?

He's trying to remove the spacer>hub nuts, not the wheel>spacer nuts. :smile: 

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies, will work through them

The socket from the Halfords Advanced set was a standard 6 side deep socket, it literally tore like a piece of paper, I took it down to Halfords this morning and they replaced it.

The "impact" socket was a cheap thing from eBay, I really don't think its an impact socket, but it certainly was sold as one, the outer cover as has been mentioned is the sleeve that protects the alloys.

After struggling with the 2 sockets I didn't try any further types of spray as like I mentioned didn't want the wheel falling off somehow so left it.

Interesting you say about imperial, I did try a 8/16 (I think!) and it fitted like a glove, wasn't 6 sided though so didn't want to try my luck with it, especially as the nuts have started to round off.

I will get an impact gun, my breaker bar is only 3/8, however local garage said they would take the spacers off for £40. Seems a lot but to be honest with the nuts starting to round might be better letting them sort it and get myself an impact gun for future work.

As long as the wheel isn't going to fall off I am happy. Either way those nuts have been seriously overtightened.

I was removing them as I am not one for spacers myself but from a more pratical point of view I need to change the front discs soon and if I can't get the spacers off then I can't undo the screw holding the discs on!

• Like 2

"I did try a 8/16 (I think!) " . 8/16 is half inch which is 12.7mm so I don't think it is that .  13/16 would be 20.63 mm so that sounds more like it.

• Like 2

Is it possible the spacers were bought from the US? Could explain them being imperial. 

If it were me i’d get a half inch breaker bar from Halfords. That’ll most likely do the job and you can always put a scaffold bar or something over the top if you need more oompf. Waay cheaper than a decent battery impact gun. 

Doubtful. He's already cracked one socket trying it that way tho'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you used decent spray like Plusgas or just WD40?

Sorry didn't see that question, I just used Halfords Release Spray

24 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

Sorry didn't see that question, I just used Halfords Release Spray

Is that the 'Shock & Unlock' or do they do another one now?  That stuff is actually pretty good for rusty parts if they still sell it.  Not a bad price with a trade card as well.  Even so, the wheels won't fall off from having sprayed that on. :smile:

I think cheap eBay tool and possibly the wrong sized sockets would've been the reason the sockets broke and the nuts started rounding.  A 3/8 bar should have snapped before a Halfords socket really.  I've undone 300Nm hubnuts with the 30mm one and a breaker bar lol.  I think impact and/or heat is the next step once you're sure the correct size socket is on snug.

• Like 1

It's just called release spray now, not sure if its the same as before renamed :- https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-release-spray-500ml

I think the wrong sized socket was probably mainly to blame when I pulled on the breaker bar the socket started to pull up at an angle like not fully on.

As long as the wheels wont fall off I will get it booked into the garage, let them sort them out, I don't have the right sized sockets and its a very tight fit around the nut as in you can't get a standard impact socket in there, you need to use something thin walled, the eBay socket was supposed to be thin walled and impact, it was rubbish.

• Like 2

I know what you mean when I bought mines they came with the same bolts and I couldn't use them due to the size and space in between. I had to buy bolts off eBay that were made for the correct pcd, low profile for spacers and 19mm and they are perfect. If you get them off but a new set of 19mm.

• Like 1

Update : Car down garage today, nuts removed no problem with an impact gun! I know what I am buying myself!

Spacers removed, car turns a lot easier now and seems lighter

Also got a chance to look under the car while it was up on the ramp, much easier than sticking my head underneath with a torch while its jacked up and the rust and bent jacking points are not as bad as first thought. The mechanic said he had seen far worse and its typical Ford. Lots of surface rust in places, just needs a good going over with a wire brush and sealing.

So all good 🙂

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, jonj1611 said:

Update : Car down garage today, nuts removed no problem with an impact gun! I know what I am buying myself!

Spacers removed, car turns a lot easier now and seems lighter

Also got a chance to look under the car while it was up on the ramp, much easier than sticking my head underneath with a torch while its jacked up and the rust and bent jacking points are not as bad as first thought. The mechanic said he had seen far worse and its typical Ford. Lots of surface rust in places, just needs a good going over with a wire brush and sealing.

So all good 🙂

Nice one, excellent news.  You can pretty much sit back and enjoy your little ASBO now (once you're sorted the underbody).

Yep its on the list, not going to do it myself I don't think, going to get it booked into the bodyshop as they are fixed price and let them sort it 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club