Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sync 3 downloads but doesn't unzip fully

Jeanette Brown

I have downloaded sync 3 update and seems to be no errors but when I unzip it (tried using various zip programs) I get an error message at 3%. which is the file JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.

no matter what I do it will not unzip. all other files are ok.

Don't unzip them they are self extracting files.
The update will unzip itself when the usb is plugged into the car.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the file in question wont even copy over.  when you download the sync software update. it downloads as a zip file that then has to be unzipped on to a usb drive. there is a file in the package that wont copy over. get a windows error message. 0x80004005. 8 out the 9 files transfer fine. file in question is JR3T-14G391-AE.tar

tried that redownloaded and run winzip see below to what I get.

Extracting file: C:\Users\jaymp\OneDrive\Desktop\New folder\SYNC3_2807656866_Update.zip
Extracting to "H:\"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Extracting DONTINDX.MSA
Extracting SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
Extracting SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TBB.tar.gz
Extracting SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz: Invalid compressed data to extract.
Extracting SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz
Extracting SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Extracting SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Extracting SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Extracting autoinstall.lst
Severe Error: Compressed data is invalid.

We have also tried this on 4 different computers and tried using chrome, internet explorer and firefox browsers to download file.

We can't have the same problem on different computers.

Edited by Jeanette Brown
additional info

Try downloading on a mobile device using a download mansger called ADM.
The problem could be that the download stream is interrupting therefore corrupring the file.
ADM auto-resumes and runs even when the device is on stand-by unlike any device resident download software.

Of course the filw will still need a PC to prepare for installation on an usb stick but I did this for my last update and it was all good.

tried all the above. just wont unzip or copy the file.

error on file

tried everything now and get the same message on the same file whether extracting copy on any computer or device. will contact ford now and see if they can find out the error on the file is.

20200106_142015.jpg

Try unzipping to temporary directory on drive C rather than direct to the memory stick. Then copy the files across.

tried that more than once file wont transfer

spent 4 days on this and tried everyones suggestions. This cant be a problem on 4 computers, 1 phone and 1 tablet. even tried using internet connection on tablet plugged into the unit still does not work.

finally done it using nch express zip

• Like 1

Glad you're finally sorted.

Now get error PKG_Err03 straight after pressing yes. phoning the number on the screen.  See below

8d327526-13ea-4209-8bb4-006724ed42d4.jpg

8b9309f8-f2b5-4718-990d-242d200b194e.jpg

I've noticed you are using onedrive.

Have you tried redownloading the file from Ford? Or are you just grabbing it from onedrive each time?

If the copy you have on onedrive has got corrupted, it will be corrupted on all devices you try to open it on.

downloading it direct from ford each time.  trying again but downloading direct to usb drive and the unzipping to another drive. see if that works.

Start from scratch.

Minimum 32gb drive (as new as possible as older drives can have too slow a read / transfer speed).

Format it to EXFAT even if it is already to ensure it's totally wiped and there are no hidden recycle bin files.

Download files to computer and then do the base unzip to the drive.

Go from there and see how you get on.
Problem could be a slow drive, incorrect formatting or an incomplete download / transfer of the files.

Keep the car running whilst updating (I prefer to go for a nice cruise somewhere rather than sitting on a driveway) any interruptions in power to the system from just sitting without the engine running will stall the install.

Unplug all other usb drives (if any) as they can confuse the system.

I'm am sorry but you have a problem with the download.

There is no point telling us to do anything with the steps to do with the car as we can not get the files out of the downloaded zip.

There are several threads complaining of the same error with the download file, where in each of them you tell us to "try download it again", "make sure the USB is fast enough", "make sure the USB has enought space", "Make sure you only unzip the down load file".

When i downlaod the file from https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/ using Firefox

I get a MD5 hash of .\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip:
db5db83c4873bbe6649dc73611d075df

When I use winzip to extract it i get the below

Extracting file: C:\Users\user\Downloads\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip
Extracting to "C:\Users\user\Downloads\SYNC3_2807656394_Update\"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Extracting DONTINDX.MSA
Extracting SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz

When i use 7zip i get the below

Data error : SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz

Using Chrome yealds the same result.

Instead of the same set of instuctions making out as if we keep doing something wrong, please perform the steps you recomend to us and if you are able to get the file to unzip with out error, provide us with a detailed list of steps that include URL's, tools and applications we should use.

I'm am sorry but you have a problem with the download.
There is no point telling us to do anything with the steps to do with the car as we can not get the files out of the downloaded zip.
There are several threads complaining of the same error with the download file, where in each of them you tell us to "try download it again", "make sure the USB is fast enough", "make sure the USB has enought space", "Make sure you only unzip the down load file".

When i downlaod the file from https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/ using Firefox
I get a MD5 hash of .\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip:
db5db83c4873bbe6649dc73611d075df
When I use winzip to extract it i get the below
Extracting file: C:\Users\user\Downloads\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip
Extracting to "C:\Users\user\Downloads\SYNC3_2807656394_Update\"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Extracting DONTINDX.MSA
Extracting SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz

When i use 7zip i get the below
Data error : SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz

Using Chrome yealds the same result.

Instead of the same set of instuctions making out as if we keep doing something wrong, please perform the steps you recomend to us and if you are able to get the file to unzip with out error, provide us with a detailed list of steps that include URL's, tools and applications we should use.
Using your first post on the club to snub members trying to help isn't particularly beneficial.
May I suggest you instead complain to Ford rather than take it out on us.

• Like 2

I have the same issue, though am having the error on both these files:
JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz
JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz

I get an error if Windows or 7 Zip tries to extract the zip file I download from Ford. I can use NCH's unzip tool to extract the files successfully, but if I do that 7 Zip still gets errors if I try to look at the contents of the two tar.gz files above.

My theory is that Ford have created these tar.gz files in an odd way, and that if 7 Zip can't read (and uncompress) the files then it may be SYNC 3 is also having trouble, leading to the PKG_ERR03 problem (which I am reliably getting after 10-12 minutes).

I'm going to try the following (probably at the weekend as I have limited time in the week).

I've used the NCH tool to extract the files and folder from the zip file I've downloaded. I've then used the NCH tool to extract the contents of the two tar.gz files I've listed above. This gives me two folders with the following names:

JR3T-14G391-AE
JR3T-14G423-AB

I've then used 7 Zip to first tar these two folders (separately) and then gzip the resulting tars. This gives me two tar.gz files with the same names as the ones at the top of my post which 7 Zip CAN read. My hope is that SYNC 3 will also be able to read/uncompress them and I'll avoid the PKG_ERR03 problem.

Apologies for posting this before I've checked whether it works. I figured someone else may be able to pick up a flaw in my logic, or try it themselves in the meantime.

43 minutes ago, scoggy said:

Here's the link to the 2.6GB zip file I've now downloaded many times, always with the same issue:
https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

I've just downloaded that link and extracted it with 7zip with no errors.

It sounds like it's getting corrupted while downloading, the file on the server must be ok.

What are you using to download it? Have you tried different browsers, a download manager? A different internet connection in case you are dropping packets?

I get the following SHA1 hash generated by 7zip, what are you getting? If it's different then the file is corrupt.

2020-01-15.png.5321ecf38abd338b5f16e5e1a6ded2f2.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I've just downloaded that link and extracted it with 7zip with no errors.

It sounds like it's getting corrupted while downloading, the file on the server must be ok.

What are you using to download it? Have you tried different browsers, a download manager? A different internet connection in case you are dropping packets?

I get the following SHA1 hash generated by 7zip, what are you getting? If it's different then the file is corrupt.

2020-01-15.png.5321ecf38abd338b5f16e5e1a6ded2f2.png

Thanks for this. I've used Chrome to download it, and then also a Download Manager Chrome extension. I'll try with a different browser tonight and see what happens.

I get a different SHA1 to you on a recent file I downloaded (see below). I'm currently trying to download it again using the Edge browser.

image.png.940b99ba23c6223f1f75f149359b77c1.png

image.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club