Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sync 3 downloads but doesn't unzip fully

Jeanette Brown

I've now downloaded the file on two different browsers, two different download managers, after rebooting my router, on my Synology NAS, and on my phone over my mobile network! Always with the same result - 7Zip gets errors with those two files. I am baffled! 

Do you have any antivirus which may be interfering with the extraction?

10 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Do you have any antivirus which may be interfering with the extraction?

I don't think so - I'm getting the same issue when I download it directly onto my (Linux) NAS which then tries to extract the contents itself. 

If it is packet loss, is there anything I can do to help with that?

I'm running out of things to try. I've not looked into packet loss before, but if I'm getting the same result using mobile data it doesn't sound specific to my network. The fact that you've downloaded the file with no issues indicates the file on Ford's servers works and it's an issue I'm having getting it onto my PC/phone.

I've seen others having similar issues, so it's not something specific to (only) me.

I had a brainwave and am trying something new.

I used multicloud.com to transfer the file (using the url) directly to my Google Drive storage. I've now downloaded it from there to my work PC and onto my NAS at home. Neither method has found the same issue with the file (including 7Zip on my work PC), so my hope is I've found a way to get the file uncorrupted!

Will see if that works.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scoggy said:

I had a brainwave and am trying something new.

I used multicloud.com to transfer the file (using the url) directly to my Google Drive storage. I've now downloaded it from there to my work PC and onto my NAS at home. Neither method has found the same issue with the file (including 7Zip on my work PC), so my hope is I've found a way to get the file uncorrupted!

Will see if that works.

Where do you get the url from? 

58 minutes ago, Bwhitehead said:

Where do you get the url from? 

I think I got it from the download page of Chrome when originally downloading the file from the Ford site.

Hi - Having the same problems - download (28GB file) taking  50 minutes on superfast fibre 2 - seems to work Ok..

But then when extracting says error occurs 0x80004005. x 5 at least times 

Has anyone found a solution ?

thanks

image.png.aa8dfd6be209be110e9d754f1d1a98ef.png Have tried a different browser - and extracting to PC - and I get the same error message 

3 hours ago, phil-fiesta said:

Hi - Having the same problems - download (28GB file) taking  50 minutes on superfast fibre 2 - seems to work Ok..

But then when extracting says error occurs 0x80004005. x 5 at least times 

Has anyone found a solution ?

thanks

Yes, eventually. Here's a link to how I got past what looks like the same issue.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/100289-sync-3-update-error-can-anyone-help/?do=findComment&comment=803878

2017 C-MAX Titanium Nav

I too have encountered this exact problem with latest SYNC 3 update from Ford website.

I have tried all the suggestions - to no avail.

Just now (Sat 18th Jan) another attempt at download from Fird was aborted with a msg 'Download halted - Ford(UK)' Maybe the problem has been recognised by Ford and a 'fix' may be available in a day or so?

I've come on here searching for a problem to the same issue - I  contacted Ford on twitter this week and after being asked if I had gone through the troubleshooting I sent them the filename and my VIN.

I've been told to go to my nearest dealer but I'm not going if it's going to cost me to get the update when this is Ford's error with the file.

Hopefully an updated file is on the way.....

Hi All,

I've specifically searched for this issue today which led me here.

I'm convinced the file being hosted is corrupted.

I've tried multiple PC's, Browsers, UnZip software.

Even asked two friends to download the same package.

Tried using VN's from other similar aged cars on the street!

It's always the same issue..

I get the full file (SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip) no problems but the issue is on exaction where for ease of use, WinRAR reports..

SYNC3_2815874155_Update\SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. The file is corrupt
SYNC3_2815874155_Update\SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz. The file is corrupt
The archive is corrupt

I contacted Ford Customer Relations on Friday, using 0845 841 1111 (there is an email address of CRC1@ford.com if you prefer).

I explained the issue and now have a Case Manager assigned to look into the issue and am due a call back on Monday.

Will update on here as to any specific resolution.

Incidentally, my local Ford dealership claim they have downloaded the update a few days ago and it is fine.

I can get a copy of it for £114 or they will load it into the car for the same price 🙄

I too am in UK and drive a 2017 C-MAX eco 125 Titanium.  I have encountered the same problem - but I have found a solution which worked for me - after about 8 failed downloads using the Ford update websites in UK and other European countries.

A great workable solution - thanks to Scoggy who posted it on the fordescape.org forum:

https://www.fordescape.org/threads/sync-3-update-fixes-mem_err03-gracenotes-etc.108514/page-43

Scoggy said:

I've got the SYNC update installed now, and it took me a fair amount of time to solve (with help from people on this and another forum).

The summary of my experience is:

- I was able to extract the original file(s) I downloaded from Ford with NCH Express but not 7Zip or Windows. However, even when I put the files extracted by NCH onto a USB I was unable to get through the install process without PKG_ERR03 (which I gather means SYNC was having trouble decompressing the tar.gz files on the USB stick).

- I'd assumed that meant the file was compressed by Ford in an odd way

- It turned out the file was getting corrupted somewhere between me and Ford (someone else was able to download the files from the link I supplied and use 7Zip to uncompress them).

- I tried several ways to download the file (including over my mobile network) but got the same result each time.

- In the end I managed to get an uncorrupted file by 'downloading' the file directly to my Google Drive (I have 100GB of storage there) from the URL (below) using a third party service I signed up to (free): multicloud.com. I was then able to download the zip file from Google Drive to my PC and unzip it without error (using 7Zip or Windows' native unzip functionality).

- Once I had a version which Windows and 7Zip could extract without error it installed on my car without error

A real hassle, and took a lot of effort (thanks to all on forums whose experiences and insightes helped me figure this out). It turns out Ford aren't compressing the files in an odd way, but I think there's something odd about their servers (or something) which is leading to this being flakey. I'm sure there must be other ways to get an uncorrupted file, but this is at least one way.

For this I needed the URL of the file I was downloading. I got this from a the download page on Chrome (when downloading from the Ford site) and my URL was https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

Note: My vehicle specific URL was to owner-package 14738157636462714960 and SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip

I conclude that the Update files set up by Ford are in fact complete and intact, but that they get 'damaged' during the multi-stage download procedure which involves the update file repository (url), the Ford Update website (app), the internet (from node to node), my home broadband provider, the broadband performance, my router, my domestic network with either WiFi or Ethernet connection to the PC I have chosen for the task, and the Browser and operating system it uses . . . . . No wonder downloads so often fail! The route Scoggy describes breaks this process down into discrete and sequential steps, obviating almost inevitable contentions.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems as Jeanette Brown... exasperating! Just CAN'T get this download to work!! 😡

ive sussed how to download media files without corruption

1 goto ford site

2 put in vin

3the buttom comes up to download   DONT press it

right clik button and dialog box open new link

save to desktop

7zip it

bobs your uncle

Stephen

• Like 2

I downloaded a software update for my 2017 Mondeo on 7-Jan and had the same problem unzipping it.

Gave up after a couple of attempts and assumed the problem was at the Ford site.

Tried again today 2-Feb and the site says "Your software is already up-to-date. No action is required."

Suspect Ford have withdrawn the update.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, Jeanette Brown said:

finally done it using nch express zip

WOW thank you!  I've been having the exact same problem.  Tried it on several computers, PC and Mac, and so many different programs and always got the same error you did.  Downloaded NCH Express Zip and it worked perfectly the first time!

18 hours ago, KenG said:

I downloaded a software update for my 2017 Mondeo on 7-Jan and had the same problem unzipping it.

Gave up after a couple of attempts and assumed the problem was at the Ford site.

Tried again today 2-Feb and the site says "Your software is already up-to-date. No action is required."

Suspect Ford have withdrawn the update.

I'm told the updates are back on the servers and working correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I followed these steps from another ford forums and it worked perfectly for me:

FINALLY figured it out. It may have been mentioned in this thread already or others I was looking at. Basically Ford's server is droping tid bits of the data during the transfer/ download causing the files to be corrupted. It has to do with unobservable connection interruptions or something. 

This is what I did but full disclosure it did take 2 attempts. On the first I still had a file issue but it was only 1 instead of 2 files which gave me hope to try again.

I used chrome in an incognito tab. You need a google drive, drop box.... some cloud storage somewhere. I did Google drive. 

1) go to owner.ford.com and sign in, navigate to owners and then SYNC software update. Click through until you get begin download. 
2) right click on that button and inspect the button using developer to see the code. There is the link to the download in there. Copy that and save it somewhere for later. 
3) go to multicloud.com and sign up, its free.
4) Once set up add your google drive or drop box account
5) click on the cloud drive you added and then upload button at the top
6) in the pop up, in the left corner is a link that says "upload url"
7) paste the URL link from step 2 in there. Name it whatever you want and click ok.
8) after it downloads to the cloud service, turn around and download to your p.c. and unzip. 

Multicloud is going to handle downloading the file into your Google drive and it's designed to not drop data and pick up exactly where it left off if there are any connection issues.... or something like that. But again I did have to do this twice. On the second try I received no errors when using 7zip to unzip it. Got it on the USB and it updated no problem... finally

• Thanks 1

Hi

i am a newbie so I thought i would share my experience of trying to upgrade a 18 plate smax with sync3 v3.0 build 18025 and maps F6.1.

I downloaded the sync3 update 2.6.GB onto my PC, then extracted to usb. Went to car and inserted usb, software installed and updated message appeared on screen after 65mins. The confirmation file was created on the usb stick so i uploaded to ford uk website. 

now the issues were that the software system did not update and ford uk website still telling me that my car needs a 2.6Gb update so i went to main dealer who were less than helpful, but i insisted that i had followed the correct procedure. After 3 days in the garage they tried to update the o/s and told me the system is corrupt. A new hardware module is now being fitted under warranty next week,  in the meantime i have a car with sync3 that wont power off so i have a trickle charge on the car each night to prevent a battery going flat.

HTH

20 hours ago, Cohzyyy said:

I followed these steps from another ford forums and it worked perfectly for me:

FINALLY figured it out. It may have been mentioned in this thread already or others I was looking at. Basically Ford's server is droping tid bits of the data during the transfer/ download causing the files to be corrupted. It has to do with unobservable connection interruptions or something. 

This is what I did but full disclosure it did take 2 attempts. On the first I still had a file issue but it was only 1 instead of 2 files which gave me hope to try again.

I used chrome in an incognito tab. You need a google drive, drop box.... some cloud storage somewhere. I did Google drive. 

1) go to owner.ford.com and sign in, navigate to owners and then SYNC software update. Click through until you get begin download. 
2) right click on that button and inspect the button using developer to see the code. There is the link to the download in there. Copy that and save it somewhere for later. 
3) go to multicloud.com and sign up, its free.
4) Once set up add your google drive or drop box account
5) click on the cloud drive you added and then upload button at the top
6) in the pop up, in the left corner is a link that says "upload url"
7) paste the URL link from step 2 in there. Name it whatever you want and click ok.
😎 after it downloads to the cloud service, turn around and download to your p.c. and unzip. 

Multicloud is going to handle downloading the file into your Google drive and it's designed to not drop data and pick up exactly where it left off if there are any connection issues.... or something like that. But again I did have to do this twice. On the second try I received no errors when using 7zip to unzip it. Got it on the USB and it updated no problem... finally

after a million attempts and struggling with other advices, this one worked for me 100% 

thank you so much 

I joined this forum to say that scoggy's method does indeed work. The file is not corrupt but becomes corrupt in the download process. Likely because it is losing packets. I don't know why Ford doesn't create a torrent for these types of downloads.

Anyway, I signed up for a free MultCloud account and linked it to my Google Drive account. I loaded the Sync URL to MultCloud and then transfered it to my Google Drive. I downloaded from Drive and there are no errors in the extraction now. I suspect it will load to my vehicle fine.

I've made the update for my 2018 F-150 Lariat (Canada) available to download. The filename from Ford is JR37-14G381-AS (which may or may not be the same version you need!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hMTHRjHSd4cxrgFIFlXElAQLzyKT-dv3/view?usp=sharing 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, sne said:

ive sussed how to download media files without corruption

1 goto ford site

2 put in vin

3the buttom comes up to download   DONT press it

right clik button and dialog box open new link

save to desktop

7zip it

bobs your uncle

Stephen

Made an account just to thank you sne.

Worked perfect.

Thank you so much, this got me really frustrated :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had luck downloading from the HTTP site vice the HTTPS site.

1. on the Ford "SYNC Software Update Step 1 of 4: Start download" page, right click the "Download Files" button and select "Copy Link Location"

2. Open a new browser tab and paste the link into the URL bar. Depending on your profile/vehicle, it will be something like:

https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/8028548140445630832/JR3T-14G381-AS.zip

3. Modify the link by REMOVING the "S" from https. The above example becomes:

http://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/8028548140445630832/JR3T-14G381-AS.zip

4. Press ENTER and save the file like usual

These instructions resulted in a file with the exact same file size as the file from the HTTPS site, but with a different checksum, and no errors upon extraction. I tried this on Win10 with MS Edge and Firefox as well as Ubuntu with Firefox and wget, all with the same consistent results. I hope this helps someone.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club