Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Mpg

happychappy

I have a 2.0 Diesel 57 plate 6 speed mondeo with 25k miles. The Ford spec suggests it should do 37-57mpg, I get on average 39 mpg.

I drive c20 miles to work on A and B roads, accelerate calmly and change up quickly. I have had the local ford garage check over the MPG as part of the warranty but no faults have been found. Can anyone please advise if they have managed to squeeze more MPG out of their equivalant vehicle and under what circumstances or know of potential things to check to improve the MPG. Thanks!

I have a 2.0 Diesel 57 plate 6 speed mondeo with 25k miles. The Ford spec suggests it should do 37-57mpg, I get on average 39 mpg.

I drive c20 miles to work on A and B roads, accelerate calmly and change up quickly. I have had the local ford garage check over the MPG as part of the warranty but no faults have been found. Can anyone please advise if they have managed to squeeze more MPG out of their equivalant vehicle and under what circumstances or know of potential things to check to improve the MPG. Thanks!

first of all forget what ford say the 37mpg will be town driving in optimum conditionsthe 57 is motorway miles only in optimum conditions diesels do not do well on a and b roads they are motorway munchers and for good mpg thats how they need to be driven no car does what the book says why? because the car was tested in test conditions and in a lab not on the open road you will get less mpg driving uphills braking for bends sitting in traffic slowing for speed humps etc etc etc youre mpg for the type of driving you are doing is actually fine thats why theres no faults found.

unfortunately there is a misconception that people have with diesels they are not good on mpg when used the way you are using it hit the dual carriageway and motorway get into 6th gear and cruise i gaurantee you youll get 50 mpg easily whan ford test it its over a 5mile distance they have a set amount of fuel on boared and they do a bit of stop start a bit of 30mph and some at 60mph then the rest of the test is done in a lab that mpg is achievable under optimum conditions which none of us drive in.

do you have aircon theres 10 percent more fuel used already have the radio on thats another 1 percent rear heater head lights thats 2 percent under inflated tyres up to 10 percent do you fill the tank uip all the time that means youre driving a heavy car using more fuel to pull it along half a tank a time is more than enough sadly there are hundreds of these posts and its all down to this belief that a diesel will give great mpg all the time when the truth is it depends on the roads town driving and tight twisty roads dont give good mpg in diesels

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that cruise control helps when under 50 mph, i am achieving about 42 mpg out of a tank but do a lot of constant speed into and out of towns. I also notices as the last post suggests that on board equipent really bring down mpg when i use the front heated screen i drop about 3 mpg

• 2 weeks later...

I get 54 mpg when driving to work, and on longer journeys about 58. I try to drive efficiently, so set cruise control at 70 on motorways. Despite what people say about changing gear as soon as possible, make sure you're above 1500 revs before you accelerate or the engine will labour and use far more fuel. Take your foot off and use engine breaking when coming to junctions, roundabouts etc.

Cruise control can be good but not on hilly roads, as it will accelerate 'blindly' whereas you would wait to get to the top before you accelerate as its a steep hill, the car doesn't know that and may use more fuel accelerating at bad times. When you're on cruise control the engine seems most efficient at 2000 revs, though if you're driving manually you can get away with down to 1500rpm and still get relatively good mpg.

When driving in town, you can lift your foot very gently and not touch the accelerator to creep forwards when in slow traffic, to save on revving the engine, though this may increase wear on the clutch.

The engine is at its lowest efficiency when cold as the ECU should run the engine with a higher fuel:air ratio when starting to reduce wear, much like old cars with chokes. When it reaches about 60 degrees, usually after 5-10mins the ECU will revert back to its normal fuel:air mix, so longer journeys will give greater overall efficiency.

So to summarise:

Short journeys and when its cold reduce your mpg.

Make sure you're not making the engine labour (keep between 1500-2500 revs at all times)

Cruise control can be useful but keep your eye on the rev counter.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Hi i have a mondeo 06 plate 2.2 tdci 6 speed, mine gets 41 on a and b roads, thats if im heavy footed, and on motorways iv had 53, thats at a constant 80 to 85,, so theres ots of room for improvement on yours,i always thought that using the air con takes an extra 2% not 10, maybe im wrong

Hi i have a mondeo 06 plate 2.2 tdci 6 speed, mine gets 41 on a and b roads, thats if im heavy footed, and on motorways iv had 53, thats at a constant 80 to 85,, so theres ots of room for improvement on yours,i always thought that using the air con takes an extra 2% not 10, maybe im wrong

aircon uses 10 opening the window uses 6 percent more fuel if you fit wind deflectors figures say that drops to 3.5/4 aircon uses a lot of extra juice theres the pump to run as well as th efan and various sensors

Yep switching on any electronics will take some power out of the engine as the alternator has to work harder to recharge the battery, but if you're sat there uncomfortable because you switched your climate control off to save fuel then you'll probably drive worse than normal!

In general though switch off things like the CD player, don't just turn the volume down on it. Only use full beam if you need it as that uses far more power than normal headlights. Big users of power are electric motors (wipers, aircon, adjustable seats), heaters(heated seats, windscreen defrost etc) and bright lights (headlights).

Another thing too is that coasting in neutral actually uses more fuel than rolling up to a junction in gear as the ECU will shut the fuel supply off to the engine after a couple of seconds until you touch the accelerator again, whereas in neutral you're maintaining engine revs at tickover (about 800 on mine). Also the engine braking will decrease wear on your brake pads, though possibly increase wear on the clutch if you're doing it constantly.

In reality electrical things aren't going to make more than about 10% total difference to your efficiency, its more about your driving style and the types of journey you are making, but as they say at Tesco - Every little helps, so switch off the stuff you don't need.

Good luck saving money,

Paul

well.. my tdci 130hp has been doing 41mpg for the last few months regardless of road types and the other day it shot up to 55mpg-60mpg on a constant run and now returns 45-50mpg around town weird but not knocking it,and it's not a false reading as it goes further on a tank of fuel,maybe it's the warmer weather unless someone has a beter idea.....?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club