Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost, Mk7 or Mk8?

MonkeyMiles
聽Share

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

On my car at least, going into reverse is much better than the early version which didn't have synchromesh on reverse. 100% success at obtaining reverse over nearly 2 years, with no crunches!

That's great to hear, thanks 馃檪

Not driven any other Fiesta than the MK8,聽but I am really impressed with how far small cars have come.

It does not feel like a cheap small car inside, you can get all the features and extras that the bigger cars have, and a lot comes as standard even on the base models.聽 The 5 door Mk8 Fiesta is probably at least as big, if not bigger, than the mk 1.5 Focus we had.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MonkeyMiles said:

Wow, 55mpg is pretty good. I only get about 50 in my diesel lol. I was expecting to be downgrading mpg when I switch from my current car but perhaps not, providing that your cycle is fairly combined聽like mine. Out of interest, which version of the engine do you have currently? I would imagine that these mpg figures are massively effected by the version of the engine you get.

I don't think there's a massive difference, tbh - Ford's official figures vary by about 4mpg across the models. A 140 (which has slightly lower gearing)聽 is in theory going to be less economical but I've not really noticed. You can't really compare other people's figures as we all have different driving styles and usage patterns. That said, I have friends with 100, 125, and 140 versions of both the normal Fiesta and Active, and we all get pretty much the same - around 45mpg in mixed use, but we're all oldies so no rush hour commuting etc!馃榾

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I thought that's what you were driving at. The Mk 8 is a little bit heavier with the same power, so logically is going to be a shade less nippy than the 7.5, as some of the guys have reported on the thread I linked to, though Ford's quoted figures are much the same. It's a more "grown up" feeling car.聽Some like that, some don't, but the extra refinement can make you think you're going slower than you really are!

That鈥檚 what I find with mine. I鈥檓 accelerating on the motorway and feeling like I鈥檓 only doing about 55, look down and it鈥檚 75-80 instead! Lovely and quiet to drive on the motorway.

55 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Not driven any other Fiesta than the MK8,聽but I am really impressed with how far small cars have come.

It does not feel like a cheap small car inside, you can get all the features and extras that the bigger cars have, and a lot comes as standard even on the base models.聽 The 5 door Mk8 Fiesta is probably at least as big, if not bigger, than the mk 1.5 Focus we had.

When I picked mine up, the salesman said that the MK8 was the same size as the original Focus, so there we go!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

When I picked mine up, the salesman said that the MK8 was the same size as the original Focus, so there we go!

Likewise when I bought mine. The guy I normally deal with at my local dealer is very interested in cars (unlike most sales people nowadays) and we usually have a good natter. I would say the Mk 1 Focus is still the odd inch bigger, but certainly not a lot in it. Its hard to get an accurate comparison from information online as some reviews quote width including mirrors, and some excluding mirrors, which makes a big difference in some cases.The current Focus is much bigger compared to the original, as is the Fiesta which is HUGE compared to the Mk 1 I bought in 1980!馃榾

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Likewise when I bought mine. The guy I normally deal with at my local dealer is very interested in cars (unlike most sales people nowadays) and we usually have a good natter. I would say the Mk 1 Focus is still the odd inch bigger, but certainly not a lot in it. Its hard to get an accurate comparison from information online as some reviews quote width including mirrors, and some excluding mirrors, which makes a big difference in some cases.The current Focus is much bigger, as is the Fiesta which is HUGE compared to the Mk 1 I bought in 1980!馃榾

It is amazing just how big they are now, my Mum had a MK2 as her first car on a D reg, and later an N reg MK4 and she was amazed聽聽at how far the new car has come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

she was amazed聽聽at how far the new car has come.

They certainly have. Still have good memories of that Mk 1 (though I may be looking back through rose-tinted specs). It was the 1117cc version which only had around 55bhp, but weighed next to nothing (about 700kg iirc), so with a pretty low geared but very snappy 4 speed box, it felt very nippy to drive, and steered and handled very nicely on its narrow (by today's standards) tyres. You just can't make a car like that nowadays, with all the rules and regulations!馃槥

3 hours ago, MonkeyMiles said:

Wow, 55mpg is pretty good. I only get about 50 in my diesel lol. I was expecting to be downgrading mpg when I switch from my current car but perhaps not, providing that your cycle is fairly combined聽like mine. Out of interest, which version of the engine do you have currently? I would imagine that these mpg figures are massively effected by the version of the engine you get. 馃檪

I currently have the 125 (was 100 in my Mk7) 55mpg is the best on a long run with a good constant speed - pottering around town it can be as low as 35mpg.
I have the sunroof which I belive adds quite a bit of weight.

15 hours ago, Tiexen said:

I currently have the 125 (was 100 in my Mk7) 55mpg is the best on a long run with a good constant speed - pottering around town it can be as low as 35mpg.

How much of a difference does driving in eco mode have? I'm hoping it's decent and doesn't completely eliminate any kind of performance...

3 hours ago, MonkeyMiles said:

How much of a difference does driving in eco mode have? I'm hoping it's decent and doesn't completely eliminate any kind of performance...

I would not use eco mode, throttle response is very dull and feels like you have no power, plus you dont seem to get any better economy. The only time i use it is if i have cruise control set at about 75 - 80. Other than that It seems pointless to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I would not use eco mode, throttle response is very dull and feels like you have no power, plus you dont seem to get any better economy. The only time i use it is if i have cruise control set at about 75 - 80. Other than that It seems pointless to me.

Hmmm, a little disappointing although I suppose that means that all of the mpg figures I've seen people quoting are without eco mode since it's apparently not that good for economy. Kinda looking forward to getting 45mpg with a little bit of performance 馃檪

Now the main decision I'm making is which model to get. I really don't want to give up the auto lights and wipers I have in my current Fiesta. It's definitely between the St Line X and the Titanium. Would you say the St Line X is worth the extra money, even if it doesn't mean getting the 140 version and sticking with the 125?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MonkeyMiles said:

Hmmm, a little disappointing although I suppose that means that all of the mpg figures I've seen people quoting are without eco mode since it's apparently not that good for economy. Kinda looking forward to getting 45mpg with a little bit of performance 馃檪

Now the main decision I'm making is which model to get. I really don't want to give up the auto lights and wipers I have in my current Fiesta. It's definitely between the St Line X and the Titanium. Would you say the St Line X is worth the extra money, even if it doesn't mean getting the 140 version and sticking with the 125?

I had the same decision to make coming from a 2014 1.0 100bhp titanium. Because i was getting my Car on PCP i found the st line x 140 to be good value. I have had no problems i got it mid October and done over 3000 miles in it. I love it, the styling is great, the interior is a bit sportier than the titanium (Which i like especially the red inserts and stitching). Also i like being that little bit lower down with the slightly lower springs (that dont seem to affect comfort from what i have noticed)聽And on the Mpg topic, i average about 42 mpg at the moment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MonkeyMiles said:

Kinda looking forward to getting 45mpg with a little bit of performance 馃檪

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've easily achieved 45mpg average without eco mode which (in my opinion) achieves nothing you can't do yourself with normal skilful driving.

Titanium vs ST-L X - both have similar toys so it's a personal choice as to whether you want the sportier looks and firmer suspension or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I had the same decision to make coming from a 2014 1.0 100bhp titanium. Because i was getting my Car on PCP i found the st line x 140 to be good value. I have had no problems i got it mid October and done over 3000 miles in it. I love it, the styling is great, the interior is a bit sportier than the titanium (Which i like especially the red inserts and stitching). Also i like being that little bit lower down with the slightly lower springs (that dont seem to affect comfort from what i have noticed)聽And on the Mpg topic, i average about 42 mpg at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've easily achieved 45mpg average without eco mode which (in my opinion) achieves nothing you can't do yourself with normal skilful driving.

Titanium vs ST-L X - both have similar toys so it's a personal choice as to whether you want the sportier looks and firmer suspension or not.

Looks like it's just gonna be down to what's available in my part of the country when I come to make the decision and how many p's are in the bank. Thanks for all the advice guys 馃檪

• Like 2

I was going to add - another option not mentioned so far is an Active X which again has all the toys, is available with the 140 engine, and with its slightly raised ride height would give a slightly better ride on poor roads without much loss of handling. A friend of ours has one after 2 normal Fiestas and loves it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I was going to add - another option not mentioned so far is an Active X which again has all the toys, is available with the 140 engine, and with its slightly raised ride height would give a slightly better ride on poor roads without much loss of handling. A friend of ours has one after 2 normal Fiestas and loves it.

I saw the Active X but I'm not really keen on how they look, just something about it trying to look聽like a big car doesn't click with me 馃槙. They also seem very expensive compared to the others so I don't think they are an option, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.

10 minutes ago, MonkeyMiles said:

saw the Active X but I'm not really keen on how they look

Yes, it's a bit of a Marmite thing I reckon!馃榾

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tiexen said:

I find this, on my journey I'm currently averaging around 38-39mpg, I have the 140 and also the sunroof.

My car has done about 900 miles I think.

It just depends on the journey, my commute is not that long really and consists of traffic lights, junctions and so on. I have done a slightly longer journey and got 45mpg, so I know its capable of reaching 45mpg + easily on a long journey.聽

1 hour ago, MonkeyMiles said:

I got the st-line x 140 in December, I much prefer the sportier looks, and don't really like the exterior聽chrome styling on some of the other models like the Titanium.

The Auto bulbs are brilliant, I have the auto hign beam as well, unsure if that's standard and not once have I had to manually disable them with oncoming traffic, they react brilliantly for me.

As above I average about 38/39mpg on my commute.

I love the 18" alloy wheels and Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres on it as well, such a smooth ride and grip feels great, only thing for me is Im constantly worried about pot holes, have to avoid about 15 of them on my way to work!

18 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I got the st-line x 140 in December, I much prefer the sportier looks, and don't really like the exterior聽chrome styling on some of the other models like the Titanium.

The Auto bulbs are brilliant, I have the auto hign beam as well, unsure if that's standard and not once have I had to manually disable them with oncoming traffic, they react brilliantly for me.

As above I average about 38/39mpg on my commute.

I love the 18" alloy wheels and Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres on it as well, such a smooth ride and grip feels great, only thing for me is Im constantly worried about pot holes, have to avoid about 15 of them on my way to work!

18 inch wheels are very nice, I have them also.

Potholes are just a way of life these I am afraid.Try getting the Council to fix your wheels these days through pothole damage, it is easier mining for jelly.聽 聽

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

18 inch wheels are very nice, I have them also.

How are you finding them ride-wise Martin, compared to the 17's on your Mrs's car?

It has been a while since I drove her car in all fairness but I would say there is very little difference between the two, that is internal noise, handling etc both cars sound and feel good to drive.

It is the appearance I personally like.

One thing I can say which I haven't about the Mk8 so far, is the internal road noise inside the car is much, much less than it was in the mk7.5. Soundproofing etc must be vastly improved in the latest model and keeps this to a really good low level.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Martin. I've always been wary of anything over 17" but the way car specifications are going it looks as if I'll end up with them on the next car whatever I decide on!

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for that, Martin. I've always been wary of anything over 17" but the way car specifications are going it looks as if I'll end up with them on the next car whatever I decide on!

I don't think you will be disappointed, I haven't been so far.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club