Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Both CV Joints Replaced 3 times in 2 weeks (also twice driveshafts) !! (help)

portalman

Hey,

Hoping someone can help me with this. My right driveshaft was acting up, clicking, poping sounds when turning or reversing etc, so I went ahead and took it to the mechanic and had it replaced. Shortly after (the following week) my left driveshaft stated vibrating and CV joints started popping, so without delay I had that replaced too.

Around a week later the CV joint on the left side started clicking/poping. I first heard it when I reversed up a slight incline (where I live basicly) so every morning it started popping. Then without fail, the right side went, and both started to click/crack/pop every time I put the car into reverse --- I want to note that this does NOT happen in any other scenario, just when going into reverse, usually up a slight incline.

I returned back to the mechanic, and he simply contacted the supplier, who sent out new CV joints. He replaced them and within about an HOUR.... the clicking sound on BOTH of them RETURNED. Surprised I go back to the mechanic who listened out, and says its definitely the CV joints.

This time he ordered the full driveshaft & cv joint assembly on BOTH sides of the car, so he has now changed the driveshafts AND cv joints!! All was well until the morning, when I had to reverse up an incline, I put it into reverse, and BAM there it is again, a different note/tone, but definitely the CV joint, which one however I couldn't tell. I phoned the mechanic who is seriously suprised and telling me this is impossible and to bring it in when I can.

My question here is this... If its NOT the CV joints, what could be causing near identical noise? After googling nothing but CV joints come up, a random post mentioned that it could be brake pads that are worn jumping around, but that's not the case as they are new. And trust me, I could tell the difference. The cracking/popping noises are definitely metallic stress related.

Could the replacement shaft/joint be also faulty? The supplier has rejected to replace them for the third time, and told us to make a claim. So I'm stuck!

Quick note: wishbones, ball joints, drop links, gearbox mount and front shocks/suspension were all replaced recently for nice tidy bill. Nothing I can think of could be wrong causing this problem.

Any clues to this oddity?

Unless you are supplying the parts (or have specified therm) then your contract isn't with the supplier of the CV joints, so that bit is down to the mechanic and for him/her to pursue. If the faulty ones are from the same batch then it's not odd for more than one to fail.

A faulty CV joint can normally be diagnosed once it's out of the bearing and it can be rotated at various deflections. I would assume that the mechanic has checked the CV joint (the ones that failed despite being new) so would have seen the damaged surfaces in them. My best advice would be to thoroughly check the CV joints that are on the car, and if the surfaces have failed or problems can be found when rotating them, then replace with a different brand (take care as many may be the same factory)  and ideally a reputable one.

This is what I thought but the supplier is telling me they've sold a bunch over the last few months and nobody has called to complain. They told me to put in a claim and that they won't be replacing them again.

Sadly, it was me that purchased the original set, like an idiot, in the hopes to save a buck. The mechanic has been dealing with it on his end however as he has their details.

My mechanic said its possible that the CV joints are not lubricated correctly from the factory, and that once you start hearing noises, its game over. It means they are damaged.

I'm just curious, weather or not it could be something else, but nothing comes to mind. Could it be a rough bush somewhere causing this headache? I just can't get my head around it. It definitely sounds like the creaking/pop from the joints.

In that case, "darn" / "fudge" or other words to that effect. 

I can only suggest removing one/ both and flushing to remove all grease, filtering what comes out and looking for signs of metal. That should clarify whether it's the CV joint, but it will still be difficult to establish whether that's a manufacturing fault or a problem with usage. What puzzles me is the comment about they may not have been lubricated properly, because I'd expect to have to lubricate them before fitting (a sachet of grease supplied with the component).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club