Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Headlight lens removal

vhudsonv

Hi

Does anyone know the best way how to remove the headlight lens? Every time it rains (I live in Manchester) my headlights are full of water, I tried to silicone them twice but now I want to remove the lens to do it right. To make it worse I've just snapped one of the taps on the bulb covers aggggh.  

have you thought about drilling a small hole in the bottom of the unit

Did think of that but just wondered if anyone had removed one as I could give em a good clean at the same time

seen it done with a heat gun but you have to be careful 

I had this on my '57 Mondeo. I had to remove the bulb cover and put a hairdryer with a hose on it in the hole to dry out the lens. I then got some clear silicon sealant and went around the original sealant beading at the top of the lens and down the sides as far as I could. This resolved it. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

The near side was bad but the far side was so bad there was gold fish inside!! Seen some videos on youtube (no Mondeo ones) and Jimmy BB tried it with great results, but took that long last night to remove the lenses(being careful) I left the silicone in until today....bad mistake! Two cut hand later there ready for tomorrow when the black RTV silicone sealant arrives via amazon and I was trying to work out how to put weight on em but just thought....I'll cable tie it to death. I've Silicone the light twice before (that's why it took so long last night) checked the bulb covers and still leaked. Off to Chester later this week to have the ECU remapped and thinking about having the DPF and EGR delete but you can buy the EGR blanker plate on eBay for £4 so might just go for that, should be a beast by weekend now shes nearly a teenager! 

IMG_0125.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, vhudsonv said:

The near side was bad but the far side was so bad there was gold fish inside!! Seen some videos on youtube (no Mondeo ones) and Jimmy BB tried it with great results, but took that long last night to remove the lenses(being careful) I left the silicone in until today....bad mistake! Two cut hand later there ready for tomorrow when the black RTV silicone sealant arrives via Amazon and I was trying to work out how to put weight on em but just thought....I'll cable tie it to death. I've Silicone the light twice before (that's why it took so long last night) checked the bulb covers and still leaked. Off to Chester later this week to have the ECU remapped and thinking about having the DPF and EGR delete but you can buy the EGR blanker plate on eBay for £4 so might just go for that, should be a beast by weekend now shes nearly a teenager! 

IMG_0125.JPG

I wouldn't do a DPF delete it I were you, the revised MOT standards now have specific checks around DPF presence and functionality so you could find yourself with a car that you can't get MOT'd.

Yeah was thinking about that....think I'll just get the car remapped and the EGR blanker plate at least I can just remove the plate if needed. Can't wait till Friday to upgrade the old girl and for only £150 (bargain). From 140 to 185 BHP and from 320 to 410 NM I'll ask him if I should put the blanking plate on before or after the remap. This blanking plate is going to take either  4 days or 4 minutes to install, easy enough just lossen 2 10mm blots and slide the plate in. 

17 hours ago, vhudsonv said:

Yeah was thinking about that....think I'll just get the car remapped and the EGR blanker plate at least I can just remove the plate if needed. Can't wait till Friday to upgrade the old girl and for only £150 (bargain). From 140 to 185 BHP and from 320 to 410 NM I'll ask him if I should put the blanking plate on before or after the remap. This blanking plate is going to take either  4 days or 4 minutes to install, easy enough just lossen 2 10mm blots and slide the plate in. 

Which engine have you got, most turbo diesels trigger the EML when the car detects a lack of air flow through the EGR.

I know from person experience that the 1.8 TDCi is happy to be blanked but I'm not sure about the 1.6 and 2.0 Peugeot units.  If it's only a 5 minutes job to remove the plate then I guess you've not got anything to lose by giving it a try.

Yeah its an 2007 2.0 TDCI Duratec engine. There's a youtube video made by 406xud blanking it the same engine as mine so I read the comments and most people are saying its working great but like you said for under £3 I'll give it a go if the ECU kicks off I'll just remove it. The engine tuner is charging £100 or £20 when you get it remapped to delete it but I guess its harder to blank the EGR on some other cars. The longest part of the job looks like putting my coffee down it really is a 2 minute job.I drove my friends car which was the same as mine 2 years ago and I couldn't work out why his was more responsive than mine.....thinking it was that now. Want that Convers update from Wiesiow2 but 4 hours travelling to Derby and back is to much as well as cost.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club