Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Bumper Question

jonj1611
聽Share

Another question 馃檪 And want to say thanks to everyone who has helped out on all my threads, it really has made a big difference to getting jobs done and for some reassurance. 馃檪

On the rear of my ST the right hand exhaust tip is under the bumper where the left one sticks out as it should, I have attached some pics but please note they seem to show it as normal but it isn't, it is actually under the bumper, just wondering if this is a common occurance and if so how is it rectified.

Thank you

20200108_223727.jpg

20200108_223732.jpg

20200108_223743.jpg

20200108_223749.jpg

Seen this actually happen twice now, have a look under to rule out the hanger been a little bent - A lad at work reversed a little too close in to a kerb and pushed the one side in a smidge. Luckily it was resolved by bending the hanger slightly to counter it.

I've also see someone really plough into a small wall with the same effect but they actually bent the pipe end back in to the box instead which was a bit harder to sort. New back box in the end off FB Marketplace or Fleabay (one of the two) for 拢40 and some faffing was the fix for him iirc.

The hanger is a bit rusty, well its actually very rusty, not sure if its bent as not sure what it looked like beforehand. It needs quite a bit of force to bend that plastic, worried about breaking it to be honest.

The pipes themselves look ok at first glance, will have another look at them

• Like 1

Feel free to throw a few pics up if you're not sure of anything, few of us on here will be happy to have a looksee.

Just looking a little more, are they definitely the same tips? As in, could one have been replaced or welded back on at all? You'll be able to see where the tips weld to the exit pipes and compare the lengths of each to make sure they're the same.

They are the same, just one is dirty as no one has bothered to clean it as its under the bumper and the other is clean

Haven't taken any pictures yet but have noticed the backbox is at an angle, even though both hangers are attached the box is definitely at an angle with the left hand side correct but the right hand side further back. Not sure if they are all like that and my actual bumper is bent but the backbox definitely is further back on the right, I can manually pull it forward an inch or so before resistance is too great and exhaust starts to look normal

• Like 1

Sounds like it may be just a hanger to tweak more than anything, have you checked the pipe joints going forwards a little to wherever it connects next? If someone has had any bit replaced at any point it might just be a case of the pip needing a bit of a shove back on a little more too if anything.. Worth a nosey anyways

I had a closer look at the backbox today, I thought it had been replaced at some point but its a genuine Motorcraft ST backbox on there. I haven't had access to that part of the car yet(its against the garage wall) so will have a look tomorrow and see if anything has been replaced.

Its a strange one as its definitely at an angle but no idea why, all hangers are correct, looks like new rubbers on them, not sure how it would even go at an angle

Update : The bumper is slightly bent but thats not the issue as far as I can tell, I can put the exhaust in the correct place if I physically push against the exhaust, the exhaust hanger moves forward a bit and everything is as it should be.

I am really not sure a new hanger with have enough strength to hold the exhaust in place so really at a loss as to if I can remedy the issue, only thing I can think of is the exhaust mine pipe has been welded in such a way its putting a slight angle on the back box and stopping it from moving to the correct place. Its only about 3cm but its enough to take it under the rear of the car as shown in the pictures

Strangely my backbox doesnt look like any others I have seen, all the ST ones I have seen have wavey lines on them, mine is definitely the right number but has Motorcraft written on it. Is that a bit odd?

20200115_210007.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club