Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Ramps Question

jonj1611

This is probably more for the ST people or people with a Focus of that height.

I need to do some jobs under the car, oil change etc and even with the car jacked up my jack won't go that high so was looking at some ramps. Does anyone use ramps? If so do you have any clearance issues? I want to get these but not sure if the car will go on without hitting the front end. As they are already expensive I don't really want to buy extenders, nor would there be room in the garage for them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitZer-Vehicle-Hydraulic-Height-Adjustable/dp/B00X2BVB84

They're not bad but I honestly don't think they'd clear an ST just based on looking at them, I had a Z (Same shape as yours) and even with the standard springs I couldn't do alot of ramps due to the distance the bumper protrudes from the wheels, height wasn't an issue it was just the length that made it quite a steep angle. If you look for some that have extensions you should be good to go, but with the ST keep in mind tyre widths as well, the initial ones I had only just managed to get 205s in the channels, the 215s I had sat on the edges and just kept spinning so wouldn't actually gain enough traction to get up. The 225s were better but that was because they spread so much over each edge and managed to 'grab' but that was just silly to see if it would actually go up.

I ended up with a used set of 4x4 ramps which are very long (full back of the driver's seat to boot edge in the back of my Mk3.5 ST, but the length makes for a shallower angle. They have a bonus in that they're a LOT wider so tyre clearances weren't a problem.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for replying, I might have to look at alternatives then, I have seen people make their own from wood, maybe that might be the way forward

18 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

Thanks for replying, I might have to look at alternatives then, I have seen people make their own from wood, maybe that might be the way forward

I’ve a lift and tilt don’t like those ramps because unable to do anything with wheels, brakes and makes me nervous driving up a dodgy incline.The lift and tilt is quite expensive around £400-500 I think though haven’t looked recently.I was lucky bit the bullet and bought used for just over £200 👍

Have you got a link to one or a picture as can't quite picture what you mean 🙂

26 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

Have you got a link to one or a picture as can't quite picture what you mean 🙂

11BF6E19-3DDB-4DE1-8694-69A3330D64FB.jpeg

I saw something similar but it was powered by an electric motor, was over a grand though 😕

7 hours ago, jonj1611 said:

I saw something similar but it was powered by an electric motor, was over a grand though 😕

I use a 1500 watt electric drill to lift rather than the hand crank option👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

Where did you get yours from?

Where do most people buy secondhand these days?Ha ha eBay. Mine was originally bought from cjautos henwood.👍

34 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

There are various demonstrations on youtube to give you an idea if interested👍

42 minutes ago, jonj1611 said:

All things considered I would recommend but there are some cons.You need a flat level space, it’s a heavy 75kg to move about on small wheels and you need somewhere to keep it 👍

Ah yes I see it now, hmm maybe put that one in the maybe pile 🙂 I have a garage with a level concrete floor, but no where to store something like that. Maybe back to the ramps for me 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club