Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mannol 7707

FordSpanner

Has anyone used this brand of engine oil?

Its specifically blended for Ford petrol/diesel engines.

Never heard of it and, for that reason, I wouldn't use it.

I've also never heard of it...  

It just looks like any other 5w30 that meets Ford spec though.

3 hours ago, FordSpanner said:

Has anyone used this brand of engine oil?

Its specifically blended for Ford petrol/diesel engines.

Used it for my last 3 oil changes, no issues at all.

It's the lubricant brand of SCT Vertriebs GmbH a German manufacturer/supplier of car parts (Wiper Blades, filters, belts, brakes etc) and lubricants. They seem to have the approvals from all the big German manufacturers as you might expect.  I think they may be fairly new to the UK market though? Must admit I haven't bought any oil for ages (other than getting a litre thrown in when I buy a car, for top ups)  since I stopped doing my own servicing.

because of the nature of what oil does, a car owner feels the need to use something he can trust which usually means a recognised old well respected brand. Brands take years building up a brand loyalty and the image of what that brand stands for. I have used Castrol Magnetec for years so that's the one I feel I can trust.

you can't really inspect it yourself for quality like you can with a piece of furniture so it's all a pyscological thing.  To a certain  extent it's a bit like chosing an insurance company.

However good something might be, if people have not heard of it and you can't readily inspect the quality then people are less likely to buy it. (paint for your house would be another thing)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, isetta said:

Brands take years building up a brand loyalty and the image of what that brand stands for. I have used Castrol Magnetec for years so that's the one I feel I can trust.

That's very true, and at least the Castrol brand is still under a generally respected owner (BP when I last looked) who maintains the standards of the brand. 

In a lot of cases though, the brand loyalty has been exploited by owners who have failed to maintain the standards and get products (domestic appliances particularly) manufacturered cheaply wherever they can - look how the once reasonable reputation of Hotpoint has been trashed under Whirlpool for instance.

(I still have a "real" Russel Hobbs kettle which I bought in 1977 and is still as good as new. We keep it as back up for when the fancy modern equivalents (some still branded Russel Hobbs, but made goodness knows where) give up the ghost - which is quite frequent.)

So, as ever, the buyer needs to be aware. I wouldn't necessarily rule out an unfamiliar brand but I would want to check out it's credentials where possible. If Mannol oils (for example) have got the relevant manufacturers approval, then there should be no problems using it.

I know what you mean re Russell Hobbs. Russell Hobbs is owned by Spectrum Brands who own some other household name brands. It is more like Russell Hobbs no longer exists and Spectrum Brands have effectively bought the name so they can stick it on their products made in Asia/Far East so the UK public buy the stuff because they recognise the name Russell Hobbs but would not recognise Spectrum Brands.     It's not quite as simple as how I have described it but the nett effect is pretty much the same.

Sometimes a company goes bust and sells the brand name for the same purpose as described above. Polariod being one

ps- if buying brand name oil eg Castrol, there is fake stuff around. Whenever there is a brand that people are loyal to and respect, there will always be someone trying to take advantage with fakes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club