Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 ST Line X Adaptive LED Headlights

Dids-106

Hi all,

I picked up my new St line X yesterday with adaptive LED headlights but I think they are aimed too high as I am reaching top windows as I go past houses and I keep being flashed on dipped beam. Any ideas or should I take it back to Ford? 

Been contemplating taking mine back for an alignment check myself on the headlights in all honesty. I perceive mine are aimed quite high in comparison with other cars I'm driving, but I've not been flashed on dipped beam yet which makes me think it might be ok. I'm planning on going out this weekend with a mate, swapping cars over and seeing what it's like with my car driving behind me, and passing each other on the open road etc to see if there's any issue for other road users on dipped, and then also checking out what's happening with the adaptive lights as this is where I'm definitely having issues...

I'm at the stage where I don't have any confidence in the auto adaptive setting as I'm constantly being flashed on A roads even when I think the car has adjusted the beam pattern for oncoming traffic so I'm definitely dazzling others. I turn it off now at the beginning of each drive which is a shame as I had matrix LEDs in my last car and it worked flawlessly, the main reason I included in the order for the focus. 

• Sad 1

I have a 68 plate car (built august 18) and ive not had issues with the adaptive light/high beam assist. only time ive been flashed is when it doesnt adjust fast enough going round a bend on a single carriageway 

• Like 1

I remember seeing a problem some time ago with confusion over the setting for adaptive headlights. I believe they can be set for right or left hand traffic from the menu. The confusion appeared to be that people ( including dealers and Ford UK ) believed that in the UK they should be set to right hand ( drive ), that is wrong , they are set for the side of the road on which the traffic drives i.e left hand traffic in the UK. If they have been aligned when set incorrectly and then reset to the correct setting later, then they will now be completely misaligned. Although I would have expected that this sort of problem would affect dipped beam more than main beam

• Like 1

and noticed the old thread is here 

Had no problems with mine in fact they are one of the best things on the car. Maybe those with probs should go back to dealer to have the calibration checked.

2 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

and noticed the old thread is here 

There's no setting like this on the MK4

So a little update, took it back to the dealer who spent 45 mins trying to find the fault. Ended up the self levelling rod that is riveted to the body of the car had never been riveted!! So the headlights will always be aiming upwards! Very poor from Ford, rivets are on order and being fitted and recalibrated on Thursday. I’ll check the traffic setting as I saw it in one of the sub menus on the car.

• Sad 1

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

Am looking at getting a new focus in a couple of months.

If you take the £1000 option of adaptive led lights ,does that option include the auto high beam?.

As on the website it says auto high beam is included in the convenience pack for another £550.

Many thanks.

Auto high beam is a built in function of adaptive LED headlights not an extra option.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Dids-106 said:

Hi all,

I picked up my new St line X yesterday with adaptive LED headlights but I think they are aimed too high as I am reaching top windows as I go past houses and I keep being flashed on dipped beam. Any ideas or should I take it back to Ford? 

Some people will flash you just because they are bright, to be akward.

9 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Some people will flash you just because they are bright, to be akward.

I think if you are used to crappy Halogens then they probably genuinely believe they are on full beam 😂

• Like 3