Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Motorbikes? Love Em' Or Hate Em! - Mid Life Crisis?

Hello I thought I'd post my first topic on here, so here we go.

I've always loved motorbikes and it took me until I was in my mid 30s to actually get one. However I'm now worried that its more of a midlife crisis, because I haven't passed my test yet and I'm riding around on some pathetic Chinese monstrosity called a Lexmoto to try build up some confidence before I do my bike test and go blow £9k on my long desired Triumph Bonneville!

I honestly must look like a right **** riding a 125 at my age and being somewhat of a chubster it'll only do 55mph, That said I do enjoy being out pottering around on it.

Question is... Should I knock motorbikes on the head altogether and sell the bike, then put the money  towards something better like a new Ford, or should I stick at it in the hope I get around to doing my test this year?

Just be interested to hear your thoughts guys and girls?

Lexmoto-Isca-1.jpg

My advice on which way you go is to do what’s in your heart and makes you happy.Live in the moment you don’t know how long your going to be healthy to enjoy life.You are along time dead👍

• Like 1

Well you only live once and it's really up to you if you prefer to spend your hard earned on a bike rather than a fairly boring car - the car you've got is probably more interesting than most modern ones anyway!

I've certainly had a heck of a lot of fun on bikes over the years since I got my first at 16, particularly doing track days and so on.

I would advise getting as much training as you can and perhaps moving up the size/power scale progressively. The difference in acceleration between your 125 (and most cars) and a half-decent bike can take some getting your head round. Those retro Triumphs do look gorgeous though. Pic below is  an old one I spotted on holiday - though it's a UK plate it was actually parked on the site of the old County Donegal Railway station in Killybegs. It's the Tiger 90 350 not a Bonneville, but very nice all the same.

Unfortunately I also picked up some pretty nasty injuries in a freaky accident some years back, not the bike's fault (or mine), but that's not a lot of consolation when you're in hospital! Anyway, recovered better than the docs predicted and got on a bike at the local training school as soon as I was able, just to prove I still could, though I haven't had one since, though the itch remains!

There's a "Car History" thread on here somewhere, and you'll see that a lot of us have also posted up "Bike History" as well!😀

DSCF1190.JPG

• Like 2

Past my bike test a nice few years ago and i was bike mad in them days like the R.D days and doing them up a lot and had loads.

I like both but as said above you only live once so go with what's your mind is set on, im still a bike lover in many ways but i did have a very bad accident on my 125 then i past my car test at work to be a driver which the firm paid for so then i went onto cars.

Thanks for the replys

On 1/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Well you only live once and it's really up to you if you prefer to spend your hard earned on a bike rather than a fairly boring car - the car you've got is probably more interesting than most modern ones anyway!

I've certainly had a heck of a lot of fun on bikes over the years since I got my first at 16, particularly doing track days and so on.

I would advise getting as much training as you can and perhaps moving up the size/power scale progressively. The difference in acceleration between your 125 (and most cars) and a half-decent bike can take some getting your head round. Those retro Triumphs do look gorgeous though. Pic below is  an old one I spotted on holiday - though it's a UK plate it was actually parked on the site of the old County Donegal Railway station in Killybegs. It's the Tiger 90 350 not a Bonneville, but very nice all the same.

Unfortunately I also picked up some pretty nasty injuries in a freaky accident some years back, not the bike's fault (or mine), but that's not a lot of consolation when you're in hospital! Anyway, recovered better than the docs predicted and got on a bike at the local training school as soon as I was able, just to prove I still could, though I haven't had one since, though the itch remains!

There's a "Car History" thread on here somewhere, and you'll see that a lot of us have also posted up "Bike History" as well!😀

DSCF1190.JPG

Thanks for the reply, what a lovely bike!

One of the things about bikes at my age is the safety aspect. You can be the safest rider in the world, but no one can tell you when and where that 32 ton lorry's tyre is going to blow?! So far on my little bike I have been lucky. I guess I need to outweigh the risk factor against my  loving of riding is enough to carry on.

I have also just been offered a BSA Bantam C15 which I'm tempted by as its going for a steal! :laugh:

I got my bike licence when I was 28 (now 33), and ever since I have wished I did it sooner. 

Now got two bikes, and I love them, even though I ride them a lot less now because of the two kids. I love cars, but the way I see it to get the thrill, speed and acceleration I get from my bike out of a car, I would need to spend £100,000. My most expensive bike was just under £5,000. They're far easier to work on, modify, tinker with, take apart and put back together, and they're a lot cheaper to run and insure. 

Don't worry about what other people think of you riding about on a 125. I did a year on a CBR 250rr (I'm 6'2" and 15stone so not small), and it made me a much better rider rather than jumping up to a bigger bike straight away. Make the most of your time on a 125 to become a better, safer rider. 

I've still not bought my dream bike (Triumph Daytona 675) as I don't have the space to store it, and I'm not prepared to get rid of either of my bikes. 

As far as safety goes, I am much less brave nowadays too with two kids and a wife at home, but actually statistically more fatal motorbike accidents happen to lone riders who make a mistake on a country road, not because of other road users as mythology would suggest. So if you take care of yourself and ride well then you're doing ok. 

2 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

I got my bike licence when I was 28 (now 33), and ever since I have wished I did it sooner. 

Now got two bikes, and I love them, even though I ride them a lot less now because of the two kids. I love cars, but the way I see it to get the thrill, speed and acceleration I get from my bike out of a car, I would need to spend £100,000. My most expensive bike was just under £5,000. They're far easier to work on, modify, tinker with, take apart and put back together, and they're a lot cheaper to run and insure. 

Don't worry about what other people think of you riding about on a 125. I did a year on a CBR 250rr (I'm 6'2" and 15stone so not small), and it made me a much better rider rather than jumping up to a bigger bike straight away. Make the most of your time on a 125 to become a better, safer rider. 

I've still not bought my dream bike (Triumph Daytona 675) as I don't have the space to store it, and I'm not prepared to get rid of either of my bikes. 

Thank you for your sound advise!

I must say I am a little paranoid of what people think of me on such a small bike, but like I said I do love being out in the fresh air alone with my thoughts. I would love to ride a Daytona someday although I think it'll scare the life out of me. I'm not a fast driver/rider but I do appreciate speed on a track and love motorsports! Looking forward to WSBK this year as Scott Redding joins! 🏁

6 minutes ago, richerrestos said:

Thank you for your sound advise!

I must say I am a little paranoid of what people think of me on such a small bike, but like I said I do love being out in the fresh air alone with my thoughts. I would love to ride a Daytona someday although I think it'll scare the life out of me. I'm not a fast driver/rider but I do appreciate speed on a track and love motorsports! Looking forward to WSBK this year as Scott Redding joins! 🏁

I love Scott Redding. Very excited to see how he gets on in WSB. Although I follow road racing a lot closer. 

4 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

I love Scott Redding. Very excited to see how he gets on in WSB. Although I follow road racing a lot closer. 

I'm a sucker for Moto GP, BSB and WSBK, and iomTT but I do like BTCC Touring cars. To many rules nowadays in F1.

Mind you even watching sport on TV now is getting pricey! I try to go to Thruxton and Brands Hatch at least once a year for BSB.

7 minutes ago, richerrestos said:

I'm a sucker for Moto GP, BSB and WSBK, and iomTT but I do like BTCC Touring cars. To many rules nowadays in F1.

Mind you even watching sport on TV now is getting pricey! I try to go to Thruxton and Brands Hatch at least once a year for BSB.

I went to IOM for the TT two years ago, last year I went to the North West 200 in Northern Ireland, and this year I think I'm going to Oliver's Mount in Scarborough. 

I think I will look into going to BSB this year when its at Knockhill.

I passed my car test and always wanted to do my bike test. I have a YZF R6 which I use as a track bike, I have only ever used bikes on track never road use

I watched a program on Olivers Mount, I think it was Guy Martin, but may have been Henry Cole on The Motorbike Show and it looks awesome, defiantly on my bucket list!

And again never been to the IOM but even if I go as a spectator I'd go, that said I'd love to have a crack at Mad Sunday! :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Shane1711 said:

I passed my car test and always wanted to do my bike test. I have a YZF R6 which I use as a track bike, I have only ever used bikes on track never road use

Funny you should say that, my friend gets his motorbike fix by just doing Moto X, which he says is a lot safer than being out on the road? :scooter:

IOM during the TT is amazing. I didn't ride mad Sunday, but rode up and over the mountain numerous times at ridiculous speeds through the week. Riding past the police at 120 is a thrill. 

I wouldn't go back to the TT again and again, too much hassle having to book the ferry more than a year in advance, costs a fortune and camping the only option. Glad to have done it once, but I could go back to the NW200 every year. Much more relaxed, less busy, and all the same racers. 

Its a shame that Henry Cole is really the only prominent TV guy in motorbike, because he's a proper tw*t.

1 minute ago, The Finance Guy said:

IOM during the TT is amazing. I didn't ride mad Sunday, but rode up and over the mountain numerous times at ridiculous speeds through the week. Riding past the police at 120 is a thrill. 

I wouldn't go back to the TT again and again, too much hassle having to book the ferry more than a year in advance, costs a fortune and camping the only option. Glad to have done it once, but I could go back to the NW200 every year. Much more relaxed, less busy, and all the same racers. 

Its a shame that Henry Cole is really the only prominent TV guy in motorbike, because he's a proper tw*t.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

True but you can't deny that Sam Lovegrove is a mechanical genius!

17 minutes ago, richerrestos said:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

True but you can't deny that Sam Lovegrove is a mechanical genius!

Very true. If only Sam wasn't a complete package along with Henry.

2 hours ago, richerrestos said:

I have also just been offered a BSA Bantam C15 which I'm tempted by as its going for a steal! :laugh:

Caution needed with old bikes - I've seen some real bitsas being passed off as original machines. 

The Bantam and C15 are two different things. I had a C15 when I was 17 (seems only yesterday...😚) and that is a 250 4 stroke. The Bantam Is a 2 stroke of 125, 150 or 175cc depending on age, and model numbers started with 'D' The last ones late (60's/early 70's) were classified as D14/4 (as it had the tremendous innovation of a 4 speed gearbox!). In the very last days of BSA I believe the classification was changed to B175 for some reason, but I don't recall ever seeing one.

One of the things about bikes at my age is the safety aspect. You can be the safest rider in the world, but no one can tell you when and where that 32 ton lorry's tyre is going to blow?!

There's some very good information on main causes of motorcycle accidents, and how to avoid them, on the British Motorcycling Federation website:

https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/how-to-avoid-the-5-most-common-motorcycle-accidents

But at the end of the day, once you've done all you can to improve your skills, ride sensibly, read the road conditions, anticipate what other users may do, it's down to fate. On the day I had my accident, I was intending to go test ride another bike but on the spur of the moment thought I'd leave it for another time and went the other direction instead, just for a ride, as it was a nice day. Afterwards I wished I'd gone for the test ride!

All I would add is (if you haven't already done so) invest in the best helmet, leathers etc you can afford. If I hadn't done so, I doubt I'd be typing this now!

1 hour ago, The Finance Guy said:

Actually I don't mind Henry too much - wonder if it's an age thing. I do like that programme generally though, a good blend of old and new and some great riding roads are shown and loved the restoration they did on the Gold Star.

Anyone know if/when there's another series?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, what a lovely bike!

This rather nice plunger frame BSA (B31 or B33 I think - bit before even my time😀) was parked next to it.

DSCF1189.JPG

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Caution needed with old bikes - I've seen some real bitsas being passed off as original machines. 

The Bantam and C15 are two different things. I had a C15 when I was 17 (seems only yesterday...😚) and that is a 250 4 stroke. The Bantam Is a 2 stroke of 125, 150 or 175cc depending on age, and model numbers started with 'D' The last ones late (60's/early 70's) were classified as D14/4 (as it had the tremendous innovation of a 4 speed gearbox!). In the very last days of BSA I believe the classification was changed to B175 for some reason, but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Thank you for the advise, I belive I've been offered a 175cc

5 hours ago, richerrestos said:

I watched a program on Olivers Mount, I think it was Guy Martin, but may have been Henry Cole on The Motorbike Show and it looks awesome, defiantly on my bucket list!

This gives a good impression (from a car). Seen a few spills there over the years watching rallies, etc. Sadly the course is dotted with little shrines to people who are now racing with the angels.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This gives a good impression (from a car). Seen a few spills there over the years watching rallies, etc. Sadly the course is dotted with little shrines to people who are now racing with the angels.

If there were shrines at the side of the road on the Mountain Course there would be nowhere for spectators to sit!

Bugs me that these guys engage in one of the most dangerous sports we know of, and yet most of them need a job to keep them in tyres, and then the MotoGP where no one has died since Simoncello, they’re all 19 year old millionaires!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Actually I don't mind Henry too much - wonder if it's an age thing. I do like that programme generally though, a good blend of old and new and some great riding roads are shown and loved the restoration they did on the Gold Star.

Anyone know if/when there's another series?

I didn’t mind him too much in Shed & Buried, and I loved the concept, but I always wished they would do more proper resto rather than spraying it with a hose and selling it on again...

A bit more like Wheelers Dealers maybe...

While I’ve got WD in my mind, maybe it’s a formula that you have a duo featuring one mechanical genius that does all the work, and he’s accompanied by an absolute plonker that blows all the hot air!

• Like 1

I'm 6ft 3in and not skinny.  Rode a Kawasaki kh100 for must be 3 years or so to work and back 14 miles each way rain or shine or snow or ice .Then decided to take my test when I was 31. Straight from the kh100 to a Honda cb900. That was some change!! Had other bikes since, gsxr600, etc etc. Then stopped riding  when I was 40. ( Upcoming divorce needed paying for) 

I'm now considering getting back on a bike again . My partner is happy for me to have another one, but maybe she has taken out secret life insurance on me??? 😲😲😲🤔🤔🤔

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club