Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Motorbikes? Love Em' Or Hate Em! - Mid Life Crisis?

1 hour ago, The Finance Guy said:

While I’ve got WD in my mind, maybe it’s a formula that you have a duo featuring one mechanical genius that does all the work, and he’s accompanied by an absolute plonker that blows all the hot air!

I've just watched the first episode of The Speedshop  which I'd recorded (Sunday 8pm BBC 2) where the guy modded a bike to suit an ex-para with one leg - quite enjoyed that, and very little hot air except out of the exhaust!

18 hours ago, The Finance Guy said:

If there were shrines at the side of the road on the Mountain Course there would be nowhere for spectators to sit!

Bugs me that these guys engage in one of the most dangerous sports we know of, and yet most of them need a job to keep them in tyres, and then the MotoGP where no one has died since Simoncello, they’re all 19 year old millionaires!

Ah Marco Simoncello, I'm not afraid to say I shed a little tear that day. It was like watching your hero die on TV right in front of your eyes...

18 hours ago, The Finance Guy said:

I didn’t mind him too much in Shed & Buried, and I loved the concept, but I always wished they would do more proper resto rather than spraying it with a hose and selling it on again...

A bit more like Wheelers Dealers maybe...

While I’ve got WD in my mind, maybe it’s a formula that you have a duo featuring one mechanical genius that does all the work, and he’s accompanied by an absolute plonker that blows all the hot air!

Good old Edd China...

17 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm 6ft 3in and not skinny.  Rode a Kawasaki kh100 for must be 3 years or so to work and back 14 miles each way rain or shine or snow or ice .Then decided to take my test when I was 31. Straight from the kh100 to a Honda cb900. That was some change!! Had other bikes since, gsxr600, etc etc. Then stopped riding  when I was 40. ( Upcoming divorce needed paying for) 

I'm now considering getting back on a bike again . My partner is happy for me to have another one, but maybe she has taken out secret life insurance on me??? 😲😲😲🤔🤔🤔

I have to say I'm struggling with my conscience as to go for it or just settle for cars.

If I need a bike to beat the traffic I thought you can't go wrong with a Honda Forza scooter to beat the jams, 15bhp from a 125, wouldn't need to pass any tests and good for 70mph!

After all I'm not a fast rider and where can you ride a 1000cc to it full potential these days other than a race track? :scooter:

That said after all the talk and crazy ideas I have, I'm probably just going to do my test and buy a nice bike!

big-honda-forza-125-scooter-rental-nice.jpeg

3 hours ago, richerrestos said:

After all I'm not a fast rider and where can you ride a 1000cc to it full potential these days other than a race track? :scooter:

You don't really know yet if your current machine is limited to 55!😀 Seriously though, everyone's going to have an opinion but (if you're talking sports bikes) I never owned anything over 750 and found a 600 quite enough for road use. I actually had a lot of fun with a Kawasaki ZXR 400 (like a 750 that'd shrunk in the rain) but as I'm - ahem - vertically challenged compared to Ian, it looked perfectly in scale! Even that would do 140 (so I'm told!)😚

Some larger engined, but more softly tuned, bikes can be more relaxing to ride on the road, a bit like comparing a torquey turbodiesel with a higher revving petrol. I was thinking of going in that direction for my next bike before fate took a hand.

My gsxr600 was more than fast enough for me. 160mph in told🤭🤭. Its not the top speed but the acceleration that I liked though. I'm considering an easier bike than the gsxr this time

Maybe a tdm 900, upright position more to my liking and cope with my dodgey knees , ankles, wrists etc. I am nearly 56 so needs must. Lol 

Want a bike thats broke preferably so I get the satisfaction of fixing/ tinkering with it in the winter months. So I need one now!! 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

My gsxr600 was more than fast enough for me. 160mph in told🤭🤭. Its not the top speed but the acceleration that I liked though. I'm considering an easier bike than the gsxr this time

Maybe a tdm 900, upright position more to my liking and cope with my dodgey knees , ankles, wrists etc. I am nearly 56 so needs must. Lol 

Want a bike thats broke preferably so I get the satisfaction of fixing/ tinkering with it in the winter months. So I need one now!! 

I bought a wreck last winter to “tinker with” and that became a full engine swap and replacement of everything except the frame and wheels. That bike is now my DRZ440s. 

My other bike is a 650, and that is plenty for me at the moment - lightweight twin. Like you, it’s not about the top speed, because my bravery runs out at 120 anyway. It’s acceleration and cornering which matters, and as much as I would love a BMW S1000rr, I just wouldn’t be able to flick it around like I do my SV650s, or like my CBR 250rr before it. 

I love bikes, been riding since i was 9 years old, i have had all sorts of bikes but my fav was my GSX750, totally mental bike.

VID-20200118-WA0008_1_1.thumb.gif.06c317a1205a33ccbf91e29a40513261.gif

Our five year old son Tadhg got a 16" pedal version scrambler for Christmas from Santa absolutely loves it and has requested that we call him "Steel" when hes on the bike 😂

I'm steadily holding his legs off camera there in the flying image and the bike is on stabilizers 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club