Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford focus mk 2 1.6 zetec petrol front wheel spin

anthony hall

Hello Ford Pickers, I have a 2003 Ford Focus 2 Zetec Petrol and under acceleration it suffers wheelspin, particularly on a wet surface. Can anybody recommend different tyres from standard ? It has 15 " wheels, 1.6 Litre engine, twin cam, 11 to 1 Compression, 100 Bhp ? Any suggestions.

14 minutes ago, anthony hall said:

Hello Ford Pickers, I have a 2003 Ford Focus 2 Zetec Petrol and under acceleration it suffers wheelspin, particularly on a wet surface. Can anybody recommend different tyres from standard ? It has 15 " wheels, 1.6 Litre engine, twin cam, 11 to 1 Compression, 100 Bhp ? Any suggestions.

Autoexpress.co.uk do an annual group test of various all weather tyres so you can see which ones offer a good balance of wet, dry, snow grip AND economy i.e. low rolling resistance.

The late 2019 version can be found here.

I too have front wheel spin, especially noticeable this morning on an icy road! But occasionally in wet too. I have the absolute cheapest budget tyres fitted, and it really doesn't concern me. I reckon it's my cars way of telling me to slow down and not drive stupidly LOL I have owned much more powerful cars in the past, and driving on the limit was fun. Now I just want to get from A to B and am prepared to accept my cars limitations. I'm sure someone will suggest buying premium brand tyres at £100/corner  good luck with that...

have you checked tyre pressures to make sure you don't have too much air in them, too much air  would increase the wheel spin problem

I too have been suffering with it too got my tyres at 32psi but got to admit in wet or damp conditions I have to be carefull its worse when I press that right pedal thing all way to floor lol

• Haha 1

I’ve got a 1.8i with Michelin’s on and dont have any wheel spin issues under normal Driving this time of year. 

4 hours ago, Hooded said:

I’ve got a 1.8i with Michelin’s on and dont have any wheel spin issues ...

You're not driving fast enough! 🤣

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm sure someone will suggest buying premium brand tyres at £100/corner  good luck with that...

Even premium summer tyres will slip on a cold/damp road without some serious throttle restraint! :laugh: 

I find my NS wheel slips quite often regardless of car or wheel/tyre combo (although of course, budget, low profile XL tyres are worst!)...mainly caused by the short driveshaft on that side and no weight as I rarely carry passengers anymore.  I wouldn't class it as uncontrollable wheelspin though, just a little slip or chirp. 

Being a 2003 Focus, I'm guessing the OP's doesn't have any sort of traction control at all which will make it more noticeable!

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

You're not driving fast enough! 🤣

It’s more a case of these cars don’t have enough power to spin often under ‘normal driving conditions’ unless your tyres suck 😝

my remapped F30 330d kicks the back end out if you touch the accelerator more than lightly in anything but dry conditions  though 😉

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club