Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going Shopping! What to look out for? New Ford fan on the cards....

Raker

Afternoon all.

I'm looking for a new motor and have been swayed by so many people to look for a Focus!  I've always been a one-brand type of person, so looking outside of the VAG stable has me well out of my comfort zone!  I love the Ford Focus estate  and have my eye on a 2012 Titanium X model.  1.6TDCI 115 flavor.  From what I can tell, this engine seems to be a fair punt in terms of economy, power and minimal dpf/EGR issues if my research so far indicates.  I'm a 17k a year, 25 miles each way to work on the M4 kind of guy with a bit of fast A road in between.  :)  So - are there any pointers/info/top tips that you'd give me with regards this model as new owner?

Many thanks in advance for anything you feel is worth me knowing/looking out for.  :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raker said:

Afternoon all.

I'm looking for a new motor and have been swayed by so many people to look for a Focus!  I've always been a one-brand type of person, so looking outside of the VAG stable has me well out of my comfort zone!  I love the Ford Focus estate  and have my eye on a 2012 Titanium X model.  1.6TDCI 115 flavor.  From what I can tell, this engine seems to be a fair punt in terms of economy, power and minimal dpf/EGR issues if my research so far indicates.  I'm a 17k a year, 25 miles each way to work on the M4 kind of guy with a bit of fast A road in between.  🙂 So - are there any pointers/info/top tips that you'd give me with regards this model as new owner?

Many thanks in advance for anything you feel is worth me knowing/looking out for.  🙂

You're barking up the right tree with the mk3 1.6TDCi (8v).  I have one and the engine itself is a peach, economical but rapid when you want to put your foot down. Downsides in my opinion?  The steering is too light and twitchy, car doesn't always feels as stable at speed as I'd like compared to my mk 2.5 Focus.  Air con is a common fault (check it blows ice cold when you buy, we didn't and melt every summer).  Brakes are snatchy rather than progressive and pulling off in 1st gear can be a bit jumpy.  I think I'be covered my main dislikes.  I would buy another one based on reliability and the engine alone but as a package would probably opt for something different for better handling to round off my purchase! Hope that helps 🙂

18 hours ago, Raker said:

Afternoon all.

I'm looking for a new motor and have been swayed by so many people to look for a Focus!  I've always been a one-brand type of person, so looking outside of the VAG stable has me well out of my comfort zone!  I love the Ford Focus estate  and have my eye on a 2012 Titanium X model.  1.6TDCI 115 flavor.  From what I can tell, this engine seems to be a fair punt in terms of economy, power and minimal dpf/EGR issues if my research so far indicates.  I'm a 17k a year, 25 miles each way to work on the M4 kind of guy with a bit of fast A road in between.  🙂 So - are there any pointers/info/top tips that you'd give me with regards this model as new owner?

Many thanks in advance for anything you feel is worth me knowing/looking out for.  🙂

As per the comments by @Albert27 I'd give the diesel MK3's a miss, if you need a diesel and can't stretch to a MK3.5 (the face lift version), to be honest I'd suggest you look elsewhere.  The MK3's just seem to have a lot of "niggly" issues, like the vulnerability of the AC system to leaks and Ford's crappy engine mapping that can make pulling off a bit tricky.  Unfortunately, the "pull off" issue also seems to affect the 2.0 TDCi which is a shame really because that engine has plenty of shove.  (oh and the 8v 1.6 TDCi still shares an unfortunate habit with it's older 16v brother of wearing injectors out earlier than expected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

As per the comments by @Albert27 I'd give the diesel MK3's a miss, if you need a diesel and can't stretch to a MK3.5 (the face lift version), to be honest I'd suggest you look elsewhere.  The MK3's just seem to have a lot of "niggly" issues, like the vulnerability of the AC system to leaks and Ford's crappy engine mapping that can make pulling off a bit tricky.  Unfortunately, the "pull off" issue also seems to affect the 2.0 TDCi which is a shame really because that engine has plenty of shove.  (oh and the 8v 1.6 TDCi still shares an unfortunate habit with it's older 16v brother of wearing injectors out earlier than expected.

Aw, flip.  Looks like I might be back to the drawing board then.  I'm guessing a 12 plate on 82k miles might well have already had its issues with the injectors possibly?  What plate was the Mk3.5 released on?  Any idea?

16 hours ago, Albert27 said:

You're barking up the right tree with the mk3 1.6TDCi (8v).  I have one and the engine itself is a peach, economical but rapid when you want to put your foot down. Downsides in my opinion?  The steering is too light and twitchy, car doesn't always feels as stable at speed as I'd like compared to my mk 2.5 Focus.  Air con is a common fault (check it blows ice cold when you buy, we didn't and melt every summer).  Brakes are snatchy rather than progressive and pulling off in 1st gear can be a bit jumpy.  I think I'be covered my main dislikes.  I would buy another one based on reliability and the engine alone but as a package would probably opt for something different for better handling to round off my purchase! Hope that helps 🙂

Thanks for that fella!  Few issues to be aware of then by the sounds of it?  6 month warranty would help ease the worry a bit I guess?  Hoping that it would have seen some of its issues though after 8 years and 82K miles!?

What VAG do you currently drive?  The 1.6TDCi has nothing on the 2.0 CR TDI...

I've owned 2 1.6 TDCi Focus' (MK2.5 & MK3) and the MK3 was so awful by 42k it forced me into a Mk6 Golf with more than twice as many miles...I certainly wouldn't swap my 2.0 TDI for another DV6...tax & MPG is identical but far more torque on the 2.0 TDI and it's been faultless for over 18 months now.  Both Focus' needed repairs within the first week and then frequently afterwards as well.

If you can push to a 1.5 TDCi MK3.5 that might be a better option.  If not, maybe look into other marques. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've owned 2 1.6 TDCi Focus' (MK2.5 & MK3) and the MK3 was so awful by 42k it forced me into a Mk6 Golf with more than twice as many miles...I certainly wouldn't swap my 2.0 TDI for another DV6...tax & MPG is identical but far more torque on the 2.0 TDI and it's been faultless for over 18 months now.  Both Focus' needed repairs within the first week and then frequently afterwards as well.

If you can push to a 1.5 TDCi MK3.5 that might be a better option.  If not, maybe look into other marques. 

Hey man.  Thanks for taking the time.... I'm in a really old Passat 1.9 TDI PD which has been absolutely brilliant and have always had versions of this engines in various Golfs and Seats.  I've looked at the 2.0 CR but to be fair, they've also got their own issues.  I'm basically looking for good mpg, some nice interior toy upgrades from what I've currently got and the longevity that I'm used to.  It's a really hard find to be fair!  Maybe I should look at a late 1.9 TDI Seat..... Meh.

2 hours ago, Raker said:

Hey man.  Thanks for taking the time.... I'm in a really old Passat 1.9 TDI PD which has been absolutely brilliant and have always had versions of this engines in various Golfs and Seats.  I've looked at the 2.0 CR but to be fair, they've also got their own issues.  I'm basically looking for good mpg, some nice interior toy upgrades from what I've currently got and the longevity that I'm used to.  It's a really hard find to be fair!  Maybe I should look at a late 1.9 TDI Seat..... Meh.

Ah, you can't beat the 1.9PD for MPG tbh, I haven't had anything better since!  And I mapped it up to 180bhp with a £40 remap...those were the days!  

The newest 1.9 PDs came with DPFs (in some models at least) so not necessarily any better than a 2.0 CR.  If you do look at the 2.0 CR, make sure it's one that hasn't had the emmisions fix.

9 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Funny thing is I've got two high mileage focus's and neither have had an injector issue to date.....escaped that one...ha!  

Are we sure they sorted out the Air con and pull off in the mk3.5?  Is the handling and braking improved to?  I quite like the look of the mk 3.5 but just thought it was a facelift and nothing underneath had really changed.  It might mean I'll upgrade at some point......no one wants to buy my mk 3 do they 😄 ? ?

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Finally Tom, you've not bought a lemon!!  You really should have mentioned your buying history to the OP before slating the mk 2.5 and mk 3 😋 Just out of curiosity Tom, what diagnostic would you us on VAG cars?  Is there a decent equivalent to Forscan?

4 hours ago, Raker said:

Thanks for that fella!  Few issues to be aware of then by the sounds of it?  6 month warranty would help ease the worry a bit I guess?  Hoping that it would have seen some of its issues though after 8 years and 82K miles!?

No worries, happy to help 🙂 Personally I use the warranties (AA RAC etc) that some Dealers use as more of a guide that the dealer's half decent and not that they will actually cover an issue.  There's a lot they don't cover, unfortunately for us the A/C was one of them!! 😄 

1 hour ago, Albert27 said:

😄Finally Tom, you've not bought a lemon!!  You really should have mentioned your buying history to the OP before slating the mk 2.5 and mk 3 😋 Just out of curiosity Tom, what diagnostic would you us on VAG cars?  Is there a decent equivalent to Forscan?

Hmm, possibly...but being high mileage and a previous write off I'd suggest that VAGs are probably a little more robust in general! :laugh:

I'm not slating the MK2.5 tbf, I did like the car, and at the time there wasn't an equivalent £30 tax Golf, plus it would've cost a lot more to get the spec I had on the Focus, full leathers, powerfold mirrors, xenon's, tints etc.  The MK3 however, was an utterly awful car! :laugh:

On a serious note though, VAG cars are noticeably 'designed' whereas Fords are just chucked together cheaply.  As you say, the MK3 doesn't drive nicely at all, it's jerky and snatchy and jumpy with a notchy gearbox etc.  VAG stuff is so much smoother.

Depends what you want to do with regards to the diags.  I use VCDS on the laptop which is basically the same as the dealer uses...though of course mine is a cheap knock off...  You can also use Carista, OBD11 and VAGDPFApp on a phone though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club