Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESC Service required

Colin McDonald

H123B2782-7975-4326-9B81-9E16BEF43237.thumb.jpeg.8f44ba999c80a737a4fc2459eba42030.jpegi there. 

I have a 66 plate S-Max and every now and then I get the following warnings on the dash:

ESC service Required 

Check Park Pilot

Hill start assist not available 

the warning lights ABS and traction control (car skidding and car skidding with OFF underneath)

there does not seem to be any difference in driving and after a few seconds all the warnings disappear  

the car has just had a service and nothing has been highlighted  

any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a late 2015 and mine is doing the same. I’m hoping my friend will bring his snap on code reader home very soon, to check for codes. Has your car been in for the battery terminal recall. Mines has done it ever since then. 

Car was put on the scanner tool tonight. Fault showing as front r/h speed sensor. Mechanic reckons that it’s a corroded  cable, giving the fact the fault is intermittent. Will try and have a look over the weekend. 

• 4 months later...

Ever get an answer for this? I have the exact same issue on my 66 plate s-max.

I can manually trip it by putting full left lock on so I'm guessing it's a sensor on the front wheel arches...

I removed the drivers side front sensor and gave it a clean, as this was the one showing the fault on the scanner. Never had the fault show up since then, that’s been 3 months now. 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue, mine is a 66 plate smax, I had my break pads done during covid not from main dealer just someone local who was open, and it started around 3 weeks after then. It’s doing my head in coming on loads through journeys, feels like the car looses slight power sometimes too! Did anyone get a solution to it? 

4 hours ago, Kelly W said:

I am having the same issue, mine is a 66 plate smax, I had my break pads done during covid not from main dealer just someone local who was open, and it started around 3 weeks after then. It’s doing my head in coming on loads through journeys, feels like the car looses slight power sometimes too! Did anyone get a solution to it? 

Drivers side abs sensor. I’ve found out since mine first did it, that’s it’s a very common problem. Get a code read to confirm which sensor for sure. 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, Colin McDonald said:

H123B2782-7975-4326-9B81-9E16BEF43237.thumb.jpeg.8f44ba999c80a737a4fc2459eba42030.jpegi there. 

I have a 66 plate S-Max and every now and then I get the following warnings on the dash:

ESC Service Required 

Check Park Pilot

Hill start assist not available 

the warning lights ABS and traction control (car skidding and car skidding with OFF underneath)

there does not seem to be any difference in driving and after a few seconds all the warnings disappear  

the car has just had a service and nothing has been highlighted  

any ideas?

I have this exactly. 66 plate smax. Did you get it sorted?? 

23 hours ago, Kelly W said:

I also had break pads done!

On 6/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Meta55 said:

I removed the drivers side front sensor and gave it a clean, as this was the one showing the fault on the scanner. Never had the fault show up since then, that’s been 3 months now. 

Is this simple to do? or should a professional do it? My car is actually in for a service now and so far they don't know what the issue is after initial diagnostic so I can tell them!!! 

Do you know what may have caused it initially? 

thanks

On 8/20/2020 at 5:58 PM, smax driver said:

Is this simple to do? or should a professional do it? My car is actually in for a service now and so far they don't know what the issue is after initial diagnostic so I can tell them!!! 

Do you know what may have caused it initially? 

thanks

Hi. The sensor is just held in by an 8-10mm bolt. Once it’s out, you just wiggle the sensor out then unplug. Try taking it out, give it a clean and put back in, see if that gives you a bit of time. Any research that I done, it always came back to the rh front this also included galaxy and Mondeo,  and that was the one that through a fault on mine. Until you get a clear code on what the fault is, I would stick with cleaning it for now and check inside the cavity it sits in for any debris. 

Hi my Kuga and the Focus have just had a service and both cars are showing oil change required.

Could someone please tell me how to clear the codes. 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, kmoore04uk said:

Hi my Kuga and the Focus have just had a service and both cars are showing oil change required.

Could someone please tell me how to clear the codes. 

Think you have posted in wrong section. You need to be in the general ford section. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Meta55 said:

Hi, can you tell me how easy it is to get to the sensor and where it is exactly? Thanks 

On 8/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, Sheen2326 said:

Hi, can you tell me how easy it is to get to the sensor and where it is exactly? Thanks 

Hi. I sits on the hub above where the drive shaft goes in. It’s held in with an 8 or 10mm bolt. Once you have the bolt out, the sensor will pull out. You might have to gently prize under the base to get it started. 

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue. But my problem started when my car parked for a long time during the COVID lockdown. Then the steering started to be tough and difficult to manipulate finely. The company couldn’t get the problem. 6 months later I got this message with warning lights for electronic slide control or traction control and it says service required. Then driving for few seconds all went off. To my surprise, the steering problems which annoyed me for six months got rectified and steering problem disappeared. I called the agency and they asked me to visit them for a computer check. In fact I won’t go. They ignored my issue from the start and I’m afraid the steering wheel gets the same problem again 

On 1/5/2021 at 2:16 PM, Maher said:

I had the same issue. But my problem started when my car parked for a long time during the COVID lockdown. Then the steering started to be tough and difficult to manipulate finely. The company couldn’t get the problem. 6 months later I got this message with warning lights for electronic slide control or traction control and it says service required. Then driving for few seconds all went off. To my surprise, the steering problems which annoyed me for six months got rectified and steering problem disappeared. I called the agency and they asked me to visit them for a computer check. In fact I won’t go. They ignored my issue from the start and I’m afraid the steering wheel gets the same problem again 

I just changed my drivers side front sensor this week. I’ve known for a long time it was this sensor as it’s a common fault on the smax and mondeo. It first, it would only appear  every now and then and progressed to every time I turned the car on. I believe it’s rust build up on the reluctor ring on the shaft, that damages the sensor. Mines had a pin hole size where it sits close to the ring And signs of wear. Changing the sensor was easier enough, the only small issue was disconnecting the clip on the wiring loom, as it has one of the red locks on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

This has just started on my 17 plate galaxy today. Might be a coincidence but it started after I put it through a roller car wash! 

• 1 month later...

hi I have a 152 Ford mondeo 2.0 diesel. 
the dash Keeps lighting up with park assist malfunction/steering assist malfunction/abs light, every light really. The indicators stop working when driving abs speedometer. 

I took it to a Ford garage, they told me to replace the abs which we did but the problem is still there. 

if I turn the car off when the lights are on the dash and then go to turn it back on again it will not start. And might not start for hours and then seems to reset itself. 

my front rhs tyre pressure sensor is not working. Could this be effecting it?? 
Any help appreciated as the Ford dealer can’t solve the problem. 

thanks in advance 

I think you have bigger issues other than your abs fault. The car needs to be scanned for fault codes. The tyre pressure monitor won’t stop the car from starting, probably just needs a new battery

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, Meta55 said:

I just changed my drivers side front sensor this week. I’ve known for a long time it was this sensor as it’s a common fault on the smax and mondeo. It first, it would only appear  every now and then and progressed to every time I turned the car on. I believe it’s rust build up on the reluctor ring on the shaft, that damages the sensor. Mines had a pin hole size where it sits close to the ring And signs of wear. Changing the sensor was easier enough, the only small issue was disconnecting the clip on the wiring loom, as it has one of the red locks on it. 

Hello 

just bought a 66 plate and this issue comes on when I got round a bend, then after a few minutes it goes off again. Could be the seat sensor too on this one do you think? 

thanks. 
Russell

Not sure if you made a spelling mistake ‘seat’. Mines would randomly come and go also but more so when raining. A scan will confirm what sensor has gone faulty but most likely the drivers side front. 

I had a similar issue on my 66 smax, with ABS alerting, also the (electric) handbrake would not disenguage, the only way to move the car is to disenguage the handbrake in first few seconds while the car is starting / booting up. Eventally got it to the Ford garage, £500 later they reckon it was down to the battery, machanic sensed a variable / inconsistent voltage coming from the battery. Replaced the batter, all good (for now). Must admit, first time I have heard of a battery stopping the breaking system from working, or a 5 year old battery being so knackered, especially when the car always starts first time without any issue of fault. Smells more like a manufacturing or software fault to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, SmaxDriver said:

I had a similar issue on my 66 smax, with ABS alerting, also the (electric) handbrake would not disenguage, the only way to move the car is to disenguage the handbrake in first few seconds while the car is starting / booting up. Eventally got it to the Ford garage, £500 later they reckon it was down to the battery, machanic sensed a variable / inconsistent voltage coming from the battery. Replaced the batter, all good (for now). Must admit, first time I have heard of a battery stopping the breaking system from working, or a 5 year old battery being so knackered, especially when the car always starts first time without any issue of fault. Smells more like a manufacturing or software fault to me.

Well, I’ve just bought my 66 plate Galaxy, the previous keeper mentioned it had a new battery. I’m wondering if it’s not up to the job. As my Stop/Start does not work either. After a scan, there are two errors showing. I’m going to fit a new sensor and hope it cures my issue. 

B06BED90-76D7-4237-9F02-AFD3540F05B2.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club