Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESC Service required

Colin McDonald

There is a Recall on some of the new Fords.just by chance I phoned the gord garage about the same problem i have with Esc lights coming on and to my surprise they asked me did I get a letter about a recall something to do with the steering .I didnt get anything no email or letter.Its turns out my car needed what it should have been recalled for.Just luck that I phoned. Anyway the esc lights are still coming on is this another fault!!

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, Maria mc said:

There is a Recall on some of the new Fords.just by chance I phoned the gord garage about the same problem i have with Esc lights coming on and to my surprise they asked me did I get a letter about a recall something to do with the steering .I didnt get anything no email or letter.Its turns out my car needed what it should have been recalled for.Just luck that I phoned. Anyway the esc lights are still coming on is this another fault!!

Most likely, it will be the drivers side abs sensor. Best to get a code reader on the car, just to make sure it is that side. It’s very common on the Mondeo and Smax. 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, Barr.Haruna O.Yusuf said:

Why am I getting a warning on my dash board: ESC SERVICES REQUIRED? Should I stop using the car?

Your brakes will still work. 
Get it plugged in to find out which side the faulty speed sensor is on. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have a 66 reg plate S-Max and I've recently started having the same three error messages on the dashboard as the original poster and many others in this thread. 

I've bought vlinker as recommended on this forum and run the test for errors. At first I've reset all old errors, drove for a day and run it again to end up with 10 errors. 

As I understand I need to replace the front left ABS sensor, but so far I've had no luck finding it anywhere to buy. Perhaps someone knows where I could buy one? 

I have no idea what other codes mean and why I have so many as the car drives fine with no other issues. 

Could someone please help me with explaining what they mean and if they are major issues?

I've taken pictures of all codes that can be seen in the Google Photos album that I've created:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ALAqk1vKkSEzKx329

One final question would someone know if any of the issues I have are covered by Ford extended warranty (Ford Protect) as it only covers mechanical and electrical faults. 

Thank you for your time. 

Joe

1 hour ago, SpyJoe said:

Perhaps someone knows where I could buy one? 

No big mystery, just drive to your local Ford main dealers pop in to the 'Parts Department' and buy one.

Replace the ABS sensor. Clear all the DTC's. Check that they have all cleared then go for a drive and see what comes back. Most of those codes are spurious, possibly caused by loose or bad battery connections.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also, once the new sensor is fitted. Drive it a bit, use the brakes. Otherwise you’ll panic and think the fault is still there lol

I'm happy to say that I've managed to replace the sensor safely and the error has disappeared. 

Non of my local dealerships had the part in stock so they had to order it from Ford hence the delay. 

The extended warranty that I have has been useless as all local dealerships still wanted to charge me £150 for diagnostics even though I told them that I used Forscan to find the fault. 

I've still got one DTC left but I believe it's nothing to do with the ABS sensor:

B109F:97-0A 

Intrusion Sensor Module - Component or System Operation Obstructed or Blocked

Thank you to everyone for their help and advice. This forum is an amazing place with lots of much needed information. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpyJoe said:

Just a thought, you don't happen to have an 'Air Freshener' or similar partly covering one of the Alarm ultra-sonic sensors by chance ?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, unofix said:

Just a thought, you don't happen to have an 'Air Freshener' or similar partly covering one of the Alarm ultra-sonic sensors by chance ?

No I don't have anything there and never used an air freshener.

Is it something to do with the inside ultra sonic sensor then? 

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, SpyJoe said:

I'm happy to say that I've managed to replace the sensor safely and the error has disappeared. 

Non of my local dealerships had the part in stock so they had to order it from Ford hence the delay. 

The extended warranty that I have has been useless as all local dealerships still wanted to charge me £150 for diagnostics even though I told them that I used Forscan to find the fault. 

I've still got one DTC left but I believe it's nothing to do with the ABS sensor:

B109F:97-0A 

Thank you to everyone for their help and advice. This forum is an amazing place with lots of much needed information. 

Have you got any trouble with the car due to intrusion sensor module fault code since then? 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 5:14 AM, AAB said:

Have you got any trouble with the car due to intrusion sensor module fault code since then? 

Apologies for late response, just saw your post. 

Unfortunately I did have some trouble because of it. Not long ago my kids left the rear window open and someone managed to climb through the window at night and went through the glove compartment and the elbow rest box in the middle. Thankfully we don't keep anything valuable in the car so only some change was stolen. 

When we checked the CCTV we could clearly see that the alarm didn't go off.

It did work when I bought the car as even the smallest movement inside the car (when it's locked) would sound the alarm. 

I'm still unable to find a solution on how to replace the sensor myself. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I had the issue that many are reporting back in 2021 on my 66 plate SMax with adaptive power steering.  After a battery change it was deemed by Ford that the steering wheel was the cause.  We had a new steering wheel fitted (900 quids worth) and the issues all went away!  This week, everything just came back! Back to Ford to see if we need another new steering wheel or not.

• 5 months later...

This seems to be the part number, but damned if I can find it anywhere that isn't crazy expensive!

Isn't it just the mondo sensor, is it compatible has anyone tried? https://www.autodoc.co.uk/metzger/15819198?gshp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpee1eOXARMZM_9o-0q2AFTfUGndaXBhxrp8pDfhKRFV5CMu5hI1JGlhoC_OMQAvD_BwE

Otherwise, if anyone can point me to somewhere it's priced around £30 I'd be very grateful.

Oh - and for info, I cleaned the electrical connector and it worked faultlessly, for about a week. Then came back with a vengeance. The brakes are warm after a long drive so I think the ABS is slightly on the whole time those lights are on? The rear park brake warning also comes on more regularly where it feels like the brakes are applied, steering assist is partially off.... horrible fault.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.db74835325926d92d85c014e5db3a447.png

8 hours ago, welshie_miles said:

Otherwise, if anyone can point me to somewhere it's priced around £30 I'd be very grateful.

I'm confused by your post, but let's just forget that. 🤔

Yes I can point you in the direction of a sensor for less than £30 ........... your own link posted above £29.71

3 hours ago, unofix said:

I'm confused by your post, but let's just forget that. 🤔

Yes I can point you in the direction of a sensor for less than £30 ........... your own link posted above £29.71

See this part:

The Mondeo sensor, is it compatible has anyone tried? 
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/metzger/15819198?gshp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpee1eOXARMZM_9o-0q2AFTfUGndaXBhxrp8pDfhKRFV5CMu5hI1JGlhoC_OMQAvD_BwE

Hi all,  I have the same issue on my 66 plate s-max.  Does anyone know the part number for the front r/h speed sensor/ abs sensor - not sure if it's the same thing?  I would like to order one and replace myself.  Ford were quoting just shy of £200 just to scan for faults.  I just want to make sure I don't order the wrong part!

1 hour ago, Dapper said:

Hi all,  I have the same issue on my 66 plate s-max.  Does anyone know the part number for the front r/h speed sensor/ abs sensor - not sure if it's the same thing?  I would like to order one and replace myself.  Ford were quoting just shy of £200 just to scan for faults.  I just want to make sure I don't order the wrong part!

Looks like 1223620 but always worth double checking with the seller.

Anti-Lock Braking System FORD S-MAX/Galaxy 2006- (CA1) (7zap.com)

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I will check with the seller.  On some sites it says this is the part for pre 2015 models but not on others.

I notice that some people here say it has been an issue with the sensor and some with corroded wringing.  Do you think the sensor comes with a new cable/ wiring?

Also, can you recommend a good site to find out the part numbers for front and rear break pads and discs?  As you can probably tell, I am very new to all this so it is a learning experience!

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Dapper said:

Thanks for that.  I will check with the seller.  On some sites it says this is the part for pre 2015 models but not on others.

I notice that some people here say it has been an issue with the sensor and some with corroded wringing.  Do you think the sensor comes with a new cable/ wiring?

Also, can you recommend a good site to find out the part numbers for front and rear break pads and discs?  As you can probably tell, I am very new to all this so it is a learning experience!

Thanks again.

These sensors don't come with wiring.

You can use the same site as above (7zap) to search for brake parts, or indeed almost any other part. :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. 

Sorry to jump on a thread.

I've a 2017 Smax and had the ESC service require warning, hill start assist not avavlible, cruis control not avalible TC and ABs error and so on.

Have just replaced the Drivers side ABS sensor following the clues on this thread and else where ut the fault are still there.

Ive done a scan with forscan and have the following 3 codes.

===PCM DTC U0402:00-2C===
Code: U0402 - Invalid Data Received from TCM

===PCM DTC P061B:F1-2F===
Code: P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

These 2 i belive are MAF related? but do these affect the ABS etc?

the third is:

===PAM DTC U0415:00-2B===
Code: U0415 - Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module A

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Parking Aid Module

===END PAM DTC U0415:00-2B===
Any further advice would be greatly appriciated

........and the State Of Charge of the car battery is ?

most if not all of the problems you have listed are common when the battery SOC is below 60%. Use a digital multimeter and check the battery voltage at the terminals approximately hour after it has been parked.

Ford - Battery SOC.JPG

Had a new battery at start of these fault, it didn't fix it unfortunately

31 minutes ago, fabgav said:

Had a new battery at start of these fault,

Still worth checking the battery voltage, new does not mean it's fully charged or not faulty.

DTC's beginning "Ux xxxx" are communication problems between modules and in most cases they will be resolved once the true fault has been rectified.

After checking the battery, I would concentration on the DTC P061B:F1

Is your vehicle and automatic ?

Check the wiring and connectors (remove the back shell) of the TCM. Look for worn insulation of the wires in and near the TCM connectors.

TCM is on the side of the gearbox

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club