Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESC Service required

Colin McDonald

Hi @fabgav, where did you get the front sensor from - what was the part number?  I ordered a part from autodoc but... it didn't fit.  I think it may be for a mk1 not my 2016 s-max.  It looks as though this was the original part number however, if you've successfully purchased one I'll take your guidance.

Annoyingly, I bought a scanner from amazon (Veepeak OBDCheck BLE bluetooth OBD II Scanner ), it works but no faults show on the car - even when the esc service lights all come on so no idea what the issue is.  I'm just following advice from this section pointing to it probably being the front right abs sensor.

2C204 1877755

10 hours ago, Dapper said:

Hi @fabgav, where did you get the front sensor from - what was the part number?  I ordered a part from autodoc but... it didn't fit.  I think it may be for a mk1 not my 2016 s-max.  It looks as though this was the original part number however, if you've successfully purchased one I'll take your guidance.

Annoyingly, I bought a scanner from amazon (Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth OBD II Scanner ), it works but no faults show on the car - even when the esc service lights all come on so no idea what the issue is.  I'm just following advice from this section pointing to it probably being the front right abs sensor.

2C204 1877755

I brought direct from Ford - about £40 i think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394356913287?fits=Car+Make%3AFord&epid=3028022127&hash=item5bd180f487:g:rAQAAOSw5D5jhy3J&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0C%2FseETw04LyG%2Fovy0uDrsumRXU7pqEFPPEyjwzpxBrKvkQ1GNfbvViLWOc1dLvNUPo6y6Kr08VQm8ZN905SLmer6k7xLo9D90TEZag5cU43k9rETmK8%2F%2BcjrR4y%2BftFql934xKhaw3%2BfCmgXiKZyjMI44Ze3xniYgX%2By4fIfhY55IMS8b3Jszma2JISH2NzsG54%2BqCAYOQ%2Fxvj7eE%2BI8PRkbMZMeBDmOpb%2BoQCIcsc9yuedfODoGi1p9k0hf081msNTgLBCU8ycYmNJ3%2F9iLJg%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_bf6peEYg

This is for the rear - but it looks like this type not the older type

My standard bluetooth code ready wouldnt pick the codes up bt Forscan with a modified reader did bring codes up......annoyingly its now telling me its the front left sensor.

I'll order that one and try that.

That connection looks like the correct one however, as you mention, the 'rear' in the description is putting me off.  I've messaged them to see if it still works or if there is a front specific one.  Thanks for the tip on the Forscan!

If you're using FORScan, then there are only two cables/adapters that are recommended and are known to work fully. The ELM327(modified) is suitable  for vehicles up to 2013 and the new vLinker FS cable is suitable for vehicles of all ages.

ELM327(modified): https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/details/p4541936_17045457.aspx

OR use

vLinker FS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

• Like 1

Thanks Unofix.  So if I use that cable and connect it to a laptop with the FORscan software installed, I don't need the any other equipment - just this cable (2nd one for my 2016 s-max) and and laptop with the software?

That's all you need, nothing else. 👍

You might like to buy the full licence for FORScan (about £12) which gives you extra features but for basic use it's not necessary.

FORScan (for windows): https://forscan.org/download.html

• Like 1

The rear one I linked to eBay was jus6 to show the fitting type. It won't work on tje front. Best phone Ford.

I'll check the bins layer see if I still have the packet with part number.

Also I have the older style connector and that seems to be working with my 2017 plate?

This is doing my head in.  Will pop into ford later.  Been onto their eBay parts site but they do not have it in stock!  The link you sent me was, according to them not right for my car - 2016 plate.

The part that sites keep saying are for my car have a sensor that is a different shape to the one in there now.  This is the wrong one - I think it may just be for the back.....

image.thumb.png.8e46220dfec4be7e3e8831c406414d9a.png

This is the connector on the one I removed from my front right wheel:

image.thumb.png.e22b7d7680cb6bd2e0c96152c48f7ae6.png

Don't rely on website compatibility checks.  They just go by a reg plate year, not reliable for cars built during a crossover year.  

Better off visually matching the one you've removed.

I was worried though that if I get one that says rear axle for the front right then it might make the car go a little crazy

Thinking maybe this is beyond me and may just take to dealer.  I changed the brakes and pads and that was a success but getting the right ABS sensor is a step to far 🙂 

1 hour ago, Dapper said:

I was worried though that if I get one that says rear axle for the front right then it might make the car go a little crazy

Thinking maybe this is beyond me and may just take to dealer.  I changed the brakes and pads and that was a success but getting the right ABS sensor is a step to far 🙂 

The rear one won't fit the front.  As in your photos, they're a different shape.  As long as you get one the same as the one you removed, it'll be fine.

Here's another option, though I can't find many on eBay.  I suspect the part number has been superceded.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145033747142?

So my Forscan reader arrived today and running it has me in a slight panic mode.  It came back with a lot of codes!

1. PAM - U0415:00-28
  2. BdyCM - B109F:97-0A
  3. C-CM - U0418:86-2C
  4. ABS - U0140:00-20
  5. ABS - U0100:00-20
  6. ABS - U3003:16-68
  7. ABS - C0034:2F-68
  8. ABS - C0034:07-68
  9. ABS - C0051:67-68
  10. ABS - C0034:15-20
  11. RCM - U0253:00-28

All this because I thought I could solve the ESC service issue.  It looks as though i do have a faulty right front speed sensor but it may be a whole lot more than that!  Strange as I have no warning lights on the dash apart from the ESC service and all the related safety features disabled.

May need to result to a ford garage!

Don't panic !!! (well at least not just yet).

All code that begin "Uxxxx xx xx" forget about just now. They are communication errors between modules and once the real fault is fixed they will, in nearly all cases just disappear.

BdyCM - B109F:97-0A,

ABS - C0034:2F-68, ABS - C0034:07-68, ABS - C0051:67-68, ABS - C0034:15-20

So next I'd put the DTC about the BdyCM to one side as it may just be to do with the alarm system, which is also tied in to the ABS unit.

Now that only leaves the DTC's that relate to the actual ABS system !

What did FORScan have to say about each of the DTC's for the ABS ? It will have given information for each code, probably saying that there is an 'Open or Short circuit on a sensor'

• Like 1

Umm, I might have accidently cleared all the DTCs..  I'm left with two:

BdyCM - Intrusion sensor module - component or system operation obstructed or blocked

PSCM - U0415:00-0A - Invalid data received from anti-lock brake system - control module A - Module - power steering control module.

I'll wait until  the ESC warning comes on again - next time I drive it and will report back.  Maybe this is all to do with the front right speed sensor as first thought!

Ending 175 is front right drovers side abs sensor

Ending 179 is front passenger side.

I had about 5 DTCs jusy changed the front  passenger side and all are cleared.

It's easy. 

Car up, wheel off, small 8mm bolt behind brake disc holds sensor in. Prise gently with small flat screwdriver tje pull with the cable

Pull all the claims away and where it connects to the other end there is a red bit of plastic that pulls outwards which then let's you push the quick connector tab down.

If thay makes sense

20230519_144106.jpg

20230519_144102.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that!  Is that the codes for a 2016 s-max or later?  I ordered one from autodoc that said it was for my car but the connection was completely different and had to send back.  I may just get them from Ford this time to ensure they fit.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:13 PM, fabgav said:

Ending 175 is front right drovers side abs sensor

Ending 179 is front passenger side.

I had about 5 DTCs jusy changed the front  passenger side and all are cleared.

It's easy. 

Car up, wheel off, small 8mm bolt behind brake disc holds sensor in. Prise gently with small flat screwdriver tje pull with the cable

Pull all the claims away and where it connects to the other end there is a red bit of plastic that pulls outwards which then let's you push the quick connector tab down.

If thay makes sense

20230519_144106.jpg

20230519_144102.jpg

I got these two £40 each from our Ford dealer). Passenger side was fine. The driver's side I screwed up, the connector snapped in the hub. I carefully drilled it, maybe not carefully enough... Now I don't get the handbrake warning but still the 3 yellow lights. Forscan lite shows an error "C0033 Right Front Tone Wheel" so I'm wondering if some debris is still in there....? Don't want to take off the hub!

• 4 months later...

Hi, been getting this ESC issue on our 2016 Galaxy intermittently for the last year, ever since we had the break pads and disc's done at a local garage (previously we'd only ever taken it to Fords for service and repairs and never had any issues) Over the last couple of months this warning is coming up and then dissapearing like crazy!?

I scanned the car, using an Autotool scanner off of amazon, and got a generic U0415$07E8 CODE Invalid Data received from ABS control module. That didn't make any sense to me? So my wife, who mostly uses the car took it into Thurlow Nunns for a service and got them to scan it. They told her that the left front Abs sensor was showing up as faulty, but there was some debris on the sensor and once they'd cleaned the sensor the fault had gone. That was a couple of weeks ago..........

The warnings stopped for a few days then they came back, so she took it back in and complained about it. Now they are saying that the Abs sensor need replacing along with the wheel bearing, a cost of £400 to get both fixed.......

After finding and reading this discussion does that sound right to you? Would a wheel bearing fault come up on a scan, if so it puzzles me they didn't pick it up and mention it the first time they scanned it?

If i download the Forscan link and buy the lead to connect my laptop to the car, how easy is this to fix? I have very little experience (practically none!) with cars and don't want to mess up the car as my wife works in the community and needs the car on a daily basis. The ABS lead is £39.22 from Fords today.

if anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated

9 hours ago, jdee said:

Now they are saying that the Abs sensor need replacing along with the wheel bearing, a cost of £400 to get both fixed.......

That sounds about right. If the wheel bearing is worn then there will be slight movement from side to side. The ABS sensor is in very close proximity to the sensor ring and can easily be damaged. So at Ford rates and using Ford parts £400 is about what you would expect.

PS. Get rid of the scanner or use it as a desk paperweight.

9 hours ago, jdee said:

If i download the Forscan link and buy the lead to connect my laptop to the car, how easy is this to fix?

FORScan should tell you what is causing the Fault to be registered and will allow you to clear the Code but it will not fix the problem and the warning will come back when the car detects it again if the fault has not been fixed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club