Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Advice on a total security on p.c.

jace1969

My Kaspersky Total which is the full kit is up in just over 1 month,a little concerned about some reviews says because it connected to Russia they don't trust it as good these days.

I have had it for 4 years  now but which would you recommend with the same as the Total has,i was in the process of having it again for 3 devices as i can get a good deal.

I don't bother with these antivirus programs any more...if anything they impact performance of your machines, especially if they have lower end processors. I just use Windows own and Malwarebytes.

Pc security it depends on how secure you won't be.  Windows is used by many the built in firewall and virus scanner is good enough in many cases doing better then some of the bigger players.  From there you can switch to Linux which is just as good and offers better options by default.  Or to be real secure, ditch all your hard drives and run a "live" edition of Linux from a usb stick.  With no storage on system, when you turn your pc off it's pretty much wiped clean.

TBH i think anti virus is only needed if not following best practices on safe internet browsing.

• Use an up-to date reputable web browser (Not Internet Explorer)
    • I use Chrome personally (best JavaScript engine)
  • Don't visit any sites of poor repute
  • Don't click on any popups or links, no matter how convincing they appear
    • Don't interact with them at all, even using the little X that looks like it should close them.
  • Disable adobe Flash (allot of browsers don't have it enabled anyway these days)
  • Don't open links in emails.
  • Don't download things from torrents etc
  • Don't download things from unknown sources
    • ELMConfig etc (even though i have so meh)

The internet is a much safer place then it used to be. Its more a case of convincing you to run something or give personal details, then it is just browsing things.

All of this is assuming you're not vulnerable to hardware base attacks.

I have for several years now used McAfee Total Protection, unlimited for any device you own, purchased off a well known internet auction site for up to a third of normal retail price. If you purchase internet security software this way, be very careful, only buy the physical item, card containing the download key, do not by any means buy a 'digital download' where you pay and the seller emails you the key code, it is illegal to sell this way and you very often will receive a key code that is useless because it's fake.

+1 for Windows Defender (or whatever they call it now) coupled with MalwareBytes. There's more Malware out there than virus nowadays (about 90% is Malware I believe could be wrong though) so anti-virus isn't as important as anti-malware. I got a lifetime MalwareBytes dead cheap the other year. I don't know if they've stopped doing lifetime ones now though.

Not a fan of the ones that include free trials with a laptop for example (McAfee, Norton, AVG etc.) Found them to be a big resource hog and the companies to be very "corporate" rather than on the consumers level if that makes sense haha.

Also heard good things about ESET and Emsisoft. Had emsisoft for a bit but I've got lifetime MalwareBytes so got rid. They're both quite highly rated by the geeks on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

That's good i might try Windows defender and MalwareBytes, do you just download it and just turn on windows Defender.

Is Defender like a Firewall/Antivirus in one.

Ok just had a good read of a few reviews on a little stuff as we all do but the Defender they say is fine but the MalwareBytes they don't rate, not tested properly on by

top people and misses a lot they say if you use it get another to run in the back and it's a lot of money for the things you only get not like some top ones.

I will try Defender when mine is up but don't know about the MalwareBites.

Windows Defender is part of the Windows operating system on your PC, you have to look for it in your computers settings under system and security and turn it on. Don't bother with Norton, that is now so old that even the current version is very easy for the nasties to bypass and it also won't allow any other protection programmes to run on your computer and conflicts causing lots of crashing.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, Milkman said:

Windows Defender is part of the Windows operating system on your PC, you have to look for it in your computers settings under system and security and turn it on. Don't bother with Norton, that is now so old that even the current version is very easy for the nasties to bypass and it also won't allow any other protection programmes to run on your computer and conflicts causing lots of crashing.

Just looked at it and its all on just Kaspersky is taking over it for now but ready to go.

There is not one out there 100% but for no money i think i will try defender as its all there the firewall/antivirus etc and rated good on the malware detection.

The only issues you will encounter with Windows Defender is that it allows a lot of rubbish to download when Windows installs updates on your PC, this rubbish is Windows related and contained within the download, this is why some updates fail as their own security system is treating elements of that update as malware and sometimes also treats update downloads from other programmes that you do need as a virus, such as Chrome and Adobe. As I said in an earlier post, I have been using McAfee for several years and it does not conflict with Defender, I did use Norton for a while in the early days but that treated nearly everything as a virus or malware and conflicted with everything.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club