Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missing "P" setting on Lights switch

GeoffGeoff

Hi, 

Trivial really just curious. 

Changed from a Style mk2 focus to a Titanium mk4 mondeo. 

On the old car the lights had a "P" for parking lights setting

On the new car there is no "P" setting. 

Is it not needed?  If not why was it on the old lower spec car at all? 

Thankyou for answering a dull question

Geoff 

If I remember correctly with the ignition off you could use the indicator stalk to select right or left, also the first setting on the light switch is sidelights.

• Like 1

Yes but my question is, if it's so desirable and/or necessary to have this setting - why is it suddenly not important at all and missed off the newer much more expensive much higher spec Mondeo? 

Its a useless function IMHO you can still turn the sidelights on its no different.

I remember when there was a separate parking light you could 'trap' in the door window to conform to parking regs in that era, geez, i'm old..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mozz said:

I remember when there was a separate parking light you could 'trap' in the door window to conform to parking regs in that era, geez, i'm old..

Ah the old clip on ones white one side red the other, glow worms where brighter 

• Haha 1

Parking lights are still a legal requirement as far as I know...you're meant to use them when parking on any road with a speed limit above 30mph.

However, you don't really need a separate switch position for them as long as you can select the sidelights without the ignition on.

I believe the Law was changed so that parking light was not needed provided parked same way as traffic flow and not against traffic flow, presumably relying on reflectors

Don't know why this posted as a quote ?

Edited by al2052

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 6:32 PM, mozz said:

Perhaps you can also remember having to bang the side pillar to make the semaphores lift and sometimes again to make them drop.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, al2052 said:

Perhaps you can also remember having to bang the side pillar to make the semaphores lift and sometimes again to make them drop.

Certainly can😂

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing you haven't read the manual?

Page 50, switch on your sidelights then move the indicator to turn them on on the required side 👍

• Like 3

On 2/3/2020 at 9:40 PM, Mark M said:

Guessing you haven't read the manual?

Page 50, switch on your sidelights then move the indicator to turn them on on the required side 👍

As usual, when all else has failed, RTFM ! 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, pragmatix said:

Its a useless function IMHO you can still turn the sidelights on its no different.

The difference is, the P setting just turns on sidelights alone and not number plate or dash lights. 

5 hours ago, nicam49 said:

The difference is, the P setting just turns on sidelights alone and not number plate or dash lights. 

Just turn the sidelights on and set the indicator to the side you need 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club