Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con

bottletree

Should the air con come on automatic when i switch the engine on? In other cars i owned i pressed the air con button to come on, but in this car i have to press the switch off. Surely it should be in the off position until I decide I want the air con?? :huh:

Should the air con come on automatic when i switch the engine on? In other cars i owned i pressed the air con button to come on, but in this car i have to press the switch off. Surely it should be in the off position until I decide I want the air con?? :huh:

Mine only comes on automatically from starting engine if blowers are set to windscreen only. Otherwise I have to manually switch air con on.

Hope this helps for you.

I always have the blower on the windscreen one. I will try a different setting and see if it stays off.Cheers for that.

• 2 months later...

Hi, newer models of ford focus, you cannot turn the air con off automatically, it is built in to the software, asked several Ford garages and all have said it cannot be turned off.

Yeah, I find on my 55 ZC, the air con comes on if the temperature is set to cold, and, the blower is on blower one or more. don't think it comes on if its on warm.

Yeah, I find on my 55 ZC, the air con comes on if the temperature is set to cold, and, the blower is on blower one or more. don't think it comes on if its on warm.

souns like its normal to me you just have to adjust the dial as said you may also notice that when you start the aircon it blows through the footwell vents first regardless of the setting at least my old vw did this is to prevent any condensation from the vents being blasted into youre face or onto the window

Fords have a system called quick clear, if the blowers are set to the windscreen then it will automatically turn on, if you turn the blowers to your face and turn the aircon off, when you turn it back to the windscreen the aircon will automatically turn back on, hope this helps. Matt

• 9 years later...
On 3/26/2010 at 9:45 PM, top banana said:

Mine only comes on automatically from starting engine if blowers are set to windscreen only. Otherwise I have to manually switch air con on.

Hope this helps for you.

I have this same issue and I ALWAYS have blowers set to windscreen think you may of solved this but untill I try I’ll never know but will update if so 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2010 at 9:37 PM, bottletree said:

No, should be On and ALWAYS left On.

Turning it off makes it far less reliable and introduces a dangerous safety issue with misted up windows - with variable compressors since 2005, you basically can't even measure the fuel increase, but always enjoy the comfort and safety benefits (and added reliability)

There are various settings where it can do interesting stuff.  On full demist to screen, it will pull in external air (and switch off recycle) and below 3C all AC systems shutdown to stop the possibility of the condenser freezing up. 

1 hour ago, Botus said:

No, should be On and ALWAYS left On.

Turning it off makes it far less reliable and introduces a dangerous safety issue with misted up windows - with variable compressors since 2005, you basically can't even measure the fuel increase, but always enjoy the comfort and safety benefits (and added reliability)

There are various settings where it can do interesting stuff.  On full demist to screen, it will pull in external air (and switch off recycle) and below 3C all AC systems shutdown to stop the possibility of the condenser freezing up. 

That post was older than most of the cars on here now! :laugh:

I don't agree though, the variable compressor on my Golf still rinses through fuel when it's on, as did both the MK2.5 & Mk3 Focus I had before.  :sad:

I only use it when it's really hot for that reason.  It hasn't failed so far...and I don't find the window constantly steaming up either lol.

My AC is always switched on, no matter what the weather. 
Without it on I did find that the windows misted up really quickly so it did present a safety hazard. 

As for fuel consumption, I get an average of 36mpg and that's with booting it a lot so I doubt turning the AC off would make much difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't agree though, the variable compressor on my Golf still rinses through fuel when it's on, as did both the MK2.5 & Mk3 Focus I had before.  :sad:

I only use it when it's really hot for that reason.  It hasn't failed so far...and I don't find the window constantly steaming up either lol.

That's not been my experience, Tom.

I've had air con in every car I've had since 1997 and left it on permanently in all of them (including 4 VW Group, 5 Fords, a Honda, a SAAB and a Land Rover) and had no problems and no noticeable effect on fuel consumption.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's not been my experience, Tom.

I've had air con in every car I've had since 1997 and left it on permanently in all of them (including 4 VW Group, 5 Fords, a Honda, a SAAB and a Land Rover) and had no problems and no noticeable effect on fuel consumption.

How would you notice any effect if it's permanently on? :g: Do a tankful with it off and you'll be surprised at the difference!  I lose about 10% on 'modern' diesels, down from 57mpg avg to 52mpg in the height of summer with the AC on regularly.  I get better MPG in spring and autumn when it's mild enough for a reasonably quick warm up but not so hot to need the AC on.

The original post was about the aircon always being on.  Don't know about everyone else's Focus but on mine it remembers the last setting, so if it was on it'll be on, and if off it'll be off.  Simples.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How would you notice any effect if it's permanently on? :g: Do a tankful with it off and you'll be surprised at the difference!  I

Lol. I have tried it many times over the years, that's how I know I didn't notice any difference!😀

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sussamb said:

The original post was about the aircon always being on.  Don't know about everyone else's Focus but on mine it remembers the last setting, so if it was on it'll be on, and if off it'll be off.  Simples.

The original post was 10 years ago...not sure they'll still need the answer! :tongue: 

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol. I have tried it many times over the years, that's how I know I didn't notice any difference!😀

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then. :wink: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then. :wink: 

Agreed!😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Like wise, in fact it's worse in summer with the windows open. Driving condition make a bigger difference

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Like wise, in fact it's worse in summer with the windows open. Driving condition make a bigger difference

Yes, I think other factors make a bigger difference. I wasn't actually disagreeing with Tom - in theory, you would think you would experience higher consumption running air con - but just saying that wasn't my personal experience with the cars I've driven, under the circumstances I've used them. Even when I did big mileage for work, I very rarely got stuck in heavy traffic, for example. Back then, I was on a rate per mile for business use but had to pay for my own fuel, so it was in my interests to try to keep fuel consumption down and make a few bob if possible, so I did quite a lot of experiments with open windows/sunroof versus using air con.

Mind you the biggest saving was going diesel - I was one of the first in my company to do so - and did very well until the accountant finally caught on and lowered the mileage rate for diesels!😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Depends how fast you're driving as to whether AC or window down is more efficient.  I don't know where the actual cut-off point is but I assume it'll change with each car anyway.  

Personally, I like windows down up to about 30mph.  Any more than that and it messes with my hair...the one I have left anyway. :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Mind you the biggest saving was going diesel - I was one of the first in my company to do so - and did very well until the accountant finally caught on and lowered the mileage rate for diesels!😀

I still can't explain this to my Dad...he's never owned a diesel in his life.  He can't understand why there's such a big difference between my fuel bill & his when 'diesel costs more than petrol'... 🤦‍♂️   And when I mentioned my tax being £30...'£30 a month?'...  Err no... :laugh:  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Personally, I like windows down up to about 30mph.  Any more than that and it messes with my hair...the one I have left anyway. :laugh:... 🤦‍♂️

Haha! I've still got all mine and don't like having it ruffled - another good reason to shut the windows and have the climate on!😀

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I still can't explain this to my Dad...he's never owned a diesel in his life.  He can't understand why there's such a big difference between my fuel bill & his when 'diesel costs more than petrol'... 🤦‍♂️   And when I mentioned my tax being £30...'£30 a month?'...  Err no... :laugh:  

it was only 1p different when I passed the nearest filling station the other day - smallest gap I've seen in a while. Only did just under 5,000 miles last year so really can't justify a diesel anymore. I did like them and not just because I'm a Yorkshireman who likes to save his brass - I used to prefer the drive compared to a petrol. I used to like the big hit of torque at 2,000rpm or so. I'm not so sure about some of the modern ones though - they've got more petrol like in their characteristics. That said, I had a ride in my mate's new Golf 1.6TDI the other day and thought it was 'orrible - noisy, no go to it and still only 5 speeds. I remember trying one of those engines in the Audi A1 when it first came out and it was completely gutless even in that small a car.

But as usual I'm way adrift of the topic so I'll shut up!😀

• Like 1

driving with a window open uses more than having everything closed and enjoying the comfort and safety of AC,

variable compressors are around 5 to 6%, a window open is 10% and driving like a ***** is 50% to 100%

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club