Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Galaxy automatic problems - Fixed?

shabazmo

I have heard many problems of the powershift Galaxy automatics.  Does anyone know whether they have been fixed.  I am looking to buy one soon, about 3 years old.

GW

What do you mean, the dct450 or the "really" automatic gearbox?
The dct450 installed until 2015, after that it's all new different gearbox.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Rbitton.  I am not familiar with the gearbox codes.  I just wanted to make sure that the car I buy has had a good gearbox installed.  I spoke to a local Ford repair garage and they said that the problems with gearboxes was because people did not change the oil every 36,000 miles because of the cost of oil changes.  

So if the car is a post 2016 car then it should have the new gearbox type.  Is there a quick way of identifying this new gearbox.

Thanks

Thanks Rbitton.  I am not familiar with the gearbox codes.  I just wanted to make sure that the car I buy has had a good gearbox installed.  I spoke to a local Ford repair garage and they said that the problems with gearboxes was because people did not change the oil every 36,000 miles because of the cost of oil changes.  
So if the car is a post 2016 car then it should have the new gearbox type.  Is there a quick way of identifying this new gearbox.
Thanks

That’s misleading - the problem with those 2010 to 2015 powershift double clutch gearboxes is not that people did not change the oil, it’s because of a major design flaw which as a workaround Ford implemented changing the oil every 36000 miles as part of the service schedule. Failure to do do invalidated the warranty I think. Even so changing the oil might just prevent catastrophic transmission failure. Ford new it was crap before they launched it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

That’s why I got a 2009 duratorq model years back. Which I still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

GW
What is your specific model?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, vinnie1971 said:

That’s misleading - the problem with those 2010 to 2015 powershift double clutch gearboxes is not that people did not change the oil, it’s because of a major design flaw which as a workaround Ford implemented changing the oil every 36000 miles as part of the service schedule. Failure to do do invalidated the warranty I think. Even so changing the oil might just prevent catastrophic transmission failure. Ford new it was crap before they launched it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

That’s why I got a 2009 duratorq model years back. Which I still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the summary info.

Do the 2009 duratorq model years & back still require oil change?

I called a dealer with a reg number and they could not find any requirement, so assumed sealed for life type! but if so! are they still worth changing at a time or extended milage?

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I hear that if you are having a message Transmission Limited Function on a power shift model, the problem can be a simple solution, all that needs replacing is A Transmission Value Kit. Has anyone tried this first?

Have you used FORScan to read the Ford specific DTC ?

I could give you a list of half a dozen things it 'might' be but that would just be a guess. Get the DTC and then you can work out what the best plan of action is.

I have poweshift 2013 ford galaxy, 65000 mikes on the clock, i an the second owner, had a message come up just over a year ago, transmission limited function, me not knowing anything about cars took it to a garage where he said i would need a reconditioned gearbox, he charged me £2340. Just over 2 months ago the same message has come up, and goes into safe mode, another local garage says that all I need to do/change is a Transmission valve kit, has anyone tried this? Thank you

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club