Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK7 N/S/R rattle/knock

Si_James

Hi everyone,

I have a very annoying knock/rattle from the n/s/r.

It comes and goes but shows on even the smallest bumps and manhole covers etc.

It seems worse when the car jolts over the bump and sounds like a knocking/rattle sound.

I've previously had a new shocker, spring, top mount fitted aswell as the spring isolater upgraded with an aftermarket one.

A previous garage also greased everything up and I didn't hear the noise for a year but it's started again.

I'm at a loss as to what it is but it's annoying.

Has anyone any ideas?.

Thank you 

Simon.

• Sad 1

Hey Simon,

I have the exact same issue with my fiesta mk7. Also did the same replacements as you, but took a better look at all the rubbers on the rear and with my car the rear beam mounting bush all dried out and to ***** 😛. Ordered a set of powerflex bushes to fix the issue.

Hey spiree,

Thanks for your reply!, that's interesting as previously I'd had the rear beam axle bushes greased up as they did report they were dried out but it didn't fix my issue.

Are you saying it's likely to be these causing my problem?.

The noise is very strange and sometimes sounds like a squeaking noise aswell as rattling/knocking.

I even thought could it be from the inside but everything seems tight as checked spare wheel etc.

Thanks Simon.

You should check the heat shield that is over the exhaust system.

This is fastened on by nuts to studs welded on the underside of the body. These studs rust away leaving the shield to rattle and scrape in just the way you describe.
I've fastened mine up with bits of wire multiple times!

Hi,

Appreciate your reply, I have had first hand experience of that!.

Mine actually fell down completely and scrapped along the dual carriageway I thought the whole system had dropped!!.

I had it all replaced so I know it's definitely not that.

Simon.

I have the same problem too, not replaced anything because they seem sound. my springs not snapped and jumping on the boot making the car bounce doesn't make the same noise. although my heat shield is rusted so will remove and get back to you about if it will sort the issue out. 

Hi Unknown,

It's a really annoying notice especially when no one can seem to trace what it is, I spent a lot of money having new spring, shocker, top mount etc and it's still the same.

There only seems to be the axle bushes that I haven't replaced so as someone previously said thinking it could be that 

It's hard to describe it as it can make noise over the smallest of bumps but hear nothing on a speed bump.

I did think could it be the rear seat or something but all seems tight and spare wheel solid.

The other side doesn't make a sound, just n/s/r.

Sounds like your axle bushes need replacing, very common issue on the Mk7 Fiesta 

Hi Nick, 

Thanks for your reply, so would worn axle bushes likely make that kind of noise?.

It's unlikely those newish parts I'd had fitted would be faulty I suppose.

Worn bushes are usually flagged up as advisories on your MOT👍

Yeah and nothing has been since I've owned it which is three years in Feb.

Hmm! Sounds similar to my problem but maybe mine is not as bad but still annoying, had the bushes on axle beam checked they are fine so not them.

I'm fed up with hearing it now, the drivers-side rear has no noise whatsoever and the exhaust shield is ok.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113106-rattleclunkrattle-on-back-left-nearside-noise/

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from you!, wow it seems we have the exact same issue and it is very annoying on what is otherwise a great car.

I've had reassurance that the axle bushes are ok and like you the shocker, spring and top mount plus isolater are all new.

I haven't checked the interior to your level but have a feeling there is no issue there and it's something else.

I'm thinking one of the new components is faulty but don't want to throw more money at it for nothing.

I wonder if it's worth asking the garage I use now to take it all off and re-fit and grease it all up?.

It just seems unlikely a new spring, shocker or top mount is faulty but it can make a noise on the smallest bump or dip in the road so seems more apparent on man hole cover type or small succession of bumps in one go.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Si_James said:

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from you!, wow it seems we have the exact same issue and it is very annoying on what is otherwise a great car.

I've had reassurance that the axle bushes are ok and like you the shocker, spring and top mount plus isolater are all new.

I haven't checked the interior to your level but have a feeling there is no issue there and it's something else.

I'm thinking one of the new components is faulty but don't want to throw more money at it for nothing.

I wonder if it's worth asking the garage I use now to take it all off and re-fit and grease it all up?.

It just seems unlikely a new spring, shocker or top mount is faulty but it can make a noise on the smallest bump or dip in the road so seems more apparent on man hole cover type or small succession of bumps in one go.

Cheers

Simon.

I would loosen all the suspension fixings, lubricate and torque 👍

23 hours ago, Si_James said:

Hey spiree,

Thanks for your reply!, that's interesting as previously I'd had the rear beam axle bushes greased up as they did report they were dried out but it didn't fix my issue.

Are you saying it's likely to be these causing my problem?.

The noise is very strange and sometimes sounds like a squeaking noise aswell as rattling/knocking.

I even thought could it be from the inside but everything seems tight as checked spare wheel etc.

Thanks Simon.

What I did was clear the trunk and back seat out of the car and let some one else lay in the back en listnen to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. With my car it was clearly coming from under neath the backseat (only thing there are the rear beam bushes) so I think 1 and 1 is 2. And indeed the one where noise was coming from was a lot more dried out then the other side and also a lot more flex on it.

• Haha 1

Appreciate your replies both, at this stage I'm thinking ask them to strip down n/s/r and check shocker, spring and top mount for defects and grease everything up.

Is it worth having the axel bushes changed anyway or just checked?.

How likely is it that these parts (shocker, spring, top mount, rear spring isolater)I only had fitted just over a year ago be faulty?.

I've only ever had the axel bushes greased up they haven't been changed.

As Ian said on his post he's changed the same as me and still got the same noise.

Only leaves the axel bushes!.

20 hours ago, Si_James said:

Hi Nick, 

Thanks for your reply, so would worn axle bushes likely make that kind of noise?.

It's unlikely those newish parts I'd had fitted would be faulty I suppose.

Absolutely, as the bush wears the axle will want to move around becoming loose in sense. My axle bushes were shot when i changed my axle out for an ST180 setup, didn't flag up on my MOT despite it been done two weeks prior to removing the old axle. 

Definitely worth having the bushes checked and replaced if necessary.  

1 hour ago, Nick_T said:

Absolutely, as the bush wears the axle will want to move around becoming loose in sense. My axle bushes were shot when i changed my axle out for an ST180 setup, didn't flag up on my MOT despite it been done two weeks prior to removing the old axle. 

Definitely worth having the bushes checked and replaced if necessary.  

Hi Nick,

I understand so I'll definitely get them checked again, I'm convinced it's exactly the same issue as Ian has in the earlier posts.

Appreciate the advice as I'm at a loss with it really and when you take it into the garage and they can't hear or see anything wrong it becomes even more frustrating.

If it isn't the axel bushes it can only be one of the new parts I had fitted that's faulty.

Simon.

18 hours ago, spiree said:

What I did was clear the trunk and back seat out of the car and let some one else lay in the back en listnen to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. 

I did the same thing mate! Got the missus to drive and had the rear seats down and I laid in the boot and tried to pinpoint the noise as she drove along, good job the rear windows are all tinted....lol

I reckon I'm going to get both bushes changed on my axle anyway and see if the noise goes away.

Just how trustworthy are some mechanics who look at a car and say the bushes are fine, there's some weight to a car, so unless the car has been lifted with the wheels off the ground, there's no way of telling if the bushes are tattered, after watching this I'm beginning to think the problem IS the bushes.

54 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

I did the same thing mate! Got the missus to drive and had the rear seats down and I laid in the boot and tried to pinpoint the noise as she drove along, good job the rear windows are all tinted....lol

Lol!!! 😛 made me smile that!!

Just shows how tricky this one is if you still couldn't pinpoint it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

I reckon I'm going to get both bushes changed on my axle anyway and see if the noise goes away.

Just how trustworthy are some mechanics who look at a car and say the bushes are fine, there's some weight to a car, so unless the car has been lifted with the wheels off the ground, there's no way of telling if the bushes are tattered, after watching this I'm beginning to think the problem IS the bushes.

Morning Ian,

I agree with you I don't think there is a way of telling if it's had it or not and you can only go on what they tell you.

I was thinking of getting the powerflex ones I know they are a bit more expensive but thought they might be better.

Is it worth getting the n/s/r shocker, spring and top mount removed and refitted do you think?.

It just seems unlikely as like yours they were only replaced recently and what's chance of anything been faulty.

I'm hoping between us we can get it resolved for both of us!.

Thanks for sending video aswell 🙂

• Like 1

If you’re going to fit poly bushes be prepared for a hard ride.Comfort levels are seriously reduced.On the plus side is you’ll be able to grip corners with confidence on a spirited drive if you are that way inclined 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, williamweb said:

If you’re going to fit poly bushes be prepared for a hard ride.Comfort levels are seriously reduced.On the plus side is you’ll be able to grip corners with confidence on a spirited drive if you are that way inclined 👍

Oh I see, standard bushes then I think as don't like the sound of reduced ride quality and I don't drive like that!!.

Is it better to get genuine Ford ones?.