Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mushy Gearbox When accelerating from first to second gear.

Oakley

Hi guys, 

I’m new to this and I could use a little help. I have recently bought a 2015 Ford Fiesta red edition, and I love it. 1.0 Ecoboost 138bhp however I’m experiencing a bit of a problem with the gear box - when I put my foot down in 1st and accelerate away all the way to 5K revs and when I go to change to second 2nd I put my foot down on the clutch and pull the gear stick back and the gear stick goes what I can only describe as mushy and will not go into gear. I have to slow down keep my foot on the clutch and wiggle the gear stick around and it clicks back into place. 

the car has done 49,000 miles which I don’t believe is a lot. When I change into any gear it is not a smooth change at all. It is always a little clunky However it never makes a noise...

can someone please help because it’s driving me mad 😡 

if you bought it from a dealer then take it back and get them to look at it

It wasn’t doing it when I first bought it, for 4 months and it only started about a month ago

2 hours ago, Oakley said:

It wasn’t doing it when I first bought it, for 4 months and it only started about a month ago

What warranty did you get?

4 hours ago, Kental said:

What warranty did you get?

RAC Platinum or Platinum PLUs? 
what can be done? 

If you bought it from a trader, then your consumer rights trump any warranty for the first 6 months.

Make sure they know about it before you get to 6 months though or things get a lot more difficult.

I'd take it back for them to look at, was it a Ford dealer?

• Like 1

There are known issues with these gearboxes (several threads on here), but I agree with Alex, your first port of call should be the seller.

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

If you bought it from a trader, then your consumer rights trump any warranty for the first 6 months.

Make sure they know about it before you get to 6 months though or things get a lot more difficult.

I'd take it back for them to look at, was it a Ford dealer?

No mate, it was a private car dealership in wales. Reckon they would get it sorted? 

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There are known issues with these gearboxes (several threads on here), but I agree with Alex, your first port of call should be the seller.

I think that is what I’ll do mate.

7 minutes ago, Oakley said:

No mate, it was a private car dealership in wales. Reckon they would get it sorted? 

You still have the same consumer rights if you bought it from a business (as opposed to private sale). So they have to sort it if there is a fault. 

The only difference it would make being Ford is that they’d be more familiar with the problem. 

If they get tricky, just remind them of your consumer rights, have a read of sites like this so you know your rights. Unfortunately a lot of traders (even Ford) like to pretend the consumer rights don’t exist and hope their customers are unaware of them. You’ll often need to stand your ground so make sure you are clued up on your rights 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You still have the same consumer rights if you bought it from a business (as opposed to private sale). So they have to sort it if there is a fault. 

The only difference it would make being Ford is that they’d be more familiar with the problem. 

If they get tricky, just remind them of your consumer rights, have a read of sites like this so you know your rights. Unfortunately a lot of traders (even Ford) like to pretend the consumer rights don’t exist and hope their customers are unaware of them. You’ll often need to stand your ground so make sure you are clued up on your rights 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

Thanks for your help mate 👌🏻

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club