Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

Gilli, You could be describing my car - exactly the same! Mine is a March 2019 1.5 STLine X - I thought I was endulging myself for what I thought would be my last new car (just stopped as a driving instructor). This is my 4th Focus - an 02, 16, 67 and now 19. Instead it has become a nightmare - the brakes in particular. I've been buying/driving Fords for over 50 years and this experience has tarnished my motoring history! I've set up a Facebook group to try and get some sort of pressure group to take to Ford as the dealers don't seem to give a monkey's. I'm looking at waiting until there is no negative equity in the car and just giving it back - what a disappointment. https://www.facebook.com/groups/908448199620488/

Hi all, 

Sorry to hear about some of these issues.  I have a July ST-X 1.5 182 and have had very few issues.

Had the emergency failure pop up but that fixed itself with a switch off then on.

The Stop Start has always been a weird one in all the cars I've driven with it.  It seems to be a combination of battery life, battery pull (what's drawing power such as rear window grill, heater settings etc) and mainly the outside or engine temp.

Worst I've had is the handbrake not auto engaging.  I parked in front of a wall on a down slope and half stepped out of the car as it started rolling, I managed to pull the handbrake inches from hitting the wall.  I did some testing and realised that the Auto hold also seems to control the auto handbrake.  The AH, AHB and SS turned themselves off when I go into sports mode.  from what I've read it is only supposed to be the SS.

Saying that, I know it's great having all this tech but I dont think we should ever fully rely on it.  Just like a manual handbrake, before I get out of the car I always pull the handbrake lever even if it has already auto engaged.  I often keep my foot on the brake even when Auto brake is on and have learned to be quick enough to manage clutch from braking on a slope.

The error messages are an issue and ford should be able to diagnose them.  Try the prev comment of updating all modules.  Maybe get an OBD reader and the torque app for £5 for both to see if there is any more info it can give.

• Like 1

I can understand the concerns about the Auto Hold feature turning off for no apparent reason - it shouldn't. I switched mine on four months ago and it's not turned itself off yet. I suspect the problem of randomly turning itself off is part of the many communication type errors which result in all sorts of other problems.

But what do people mean by "Auto Handbrake"? I know it does, sometimes, apply itself when you switch off or open the door, but I've searched the manual and nowhere can I find that this is an intended feature. In fact the manual states quite emphatically that auto hold is an operational convenience feature, whereas the handbrake should be applied independently every time you park up. The auto hold works hydraulically via software and should not be relied on to hold the car for parking up. The "handbrake" uses an electric motor to physically wind on the brakes so they remain on safely for parking. My interpretation of the manual is that auto hold is just for convenience, but it's your own personal responsibility to apply the handbrake properly for parking up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I can understand the concerns about the Auto Hold feature turning off for no apparent reason - it shouldn't. I switched mine on four months ago and it's not turned itself off yet. I suspect the problem of randomly turning itself off is part of the many communication type errors which result in all sorts of other problems.

But what do people mean by "Auto Handbrake"? I know it does, sometimes, apply itself when you switch off or open the door, but I've searched the manual and nowhere can I find that this is an intended feature. In fact the manual states quite emphatically that auto hold is an operational convenience feature, whereas the handbrake should be applied independently every time you park up. The auto hold works hydraulically via software and should not be relied on to hold the car for parking up. The "handbrake" uses an electric motor to physically wind on the brakes so they remain on safely for parking. My interpretation of the manual is that auto hold is just for convenience, but it's your own personal responsibility to apply the handbrake properly for parking up.

Yes if the auto hold function is on then the handbrake auto engages when you switch the engine off.

1 hour ago, soultrappa said:

Yes if the auto hold function is on then the handbrake auto engages when you switch the engine off.

Well obviously this doesn't happen every time otherwise lots of people wouldn't be complaining. But my point was is this happening by accident or is the car actually DESIGNED to have an "Auto Handbrake" feature? My own feeling is that this sometimes happens only by accident, therefore it's down to the driver to make sure the handbrake is properly applied before parking up, just like it always was.

• Like 1

Maybe on the manual . Not on the auto. What does the owners manual say? 

3 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Well obviously this doesn't happen every time otherwise lots of people wouldn't be complaining. But my point was is this happening by accident or is the car actually DESIGNED to have an "Auto Handbrake" feature? My own feeling is that this sometimes happens only by accident, therefore it's down to the driver to make sure the handbrake is properly applied before parking up, just like it always was.

Auto hold is similar to hill start assist but not only on hills. You wouldn’t get out the car with hill start assist on. 

I have noticed on mine you have to do things in the correct sequence.

I have to turn the engine off BEFORE I unfasten the seatbelt for the auto handbrake to function..

• Like 3

Can't stand auto hold, I have it switched off and use my handbrake 🙂

The difference here is about ‘Auto Hold’ we all have , and ‘auto handbrake’ which I’d never even heard of. 

• Like 1

my citroen picasso and Renault scenic grand both had this function.  the hand brake is auto applied after turning the engine off.  The manual Ford does the same thing however as said it can be glitchy.

I have just done some more tests and yes mark-uk is correct.  it will not for some reason auto apply the hand break while the seat belt is undone.  In fact it it gives the following messages.

'Close the door and fasten seatbelt to tun on' when you are stationary with the handbreak on.

'Press brake and switch to turn on' when stationary with handbrake off, even if seatbelt was off

other results

The auto brake MUST be on for the handbrake to auto apply.

If the auto brake is off and you are driving it will not actually turn on after pressing switch until you brake and the auto brake applies.

you can turn it off in any situation.

It seems to remember what setting it was in when you start the car (or just after), not when you turn it off.  If I alter the switch just after I start the car, it remembers that setting, not what I change it to before stopping it.

The question is not whether it happens under certain circumstances, I think we all accept that it does, but whether it is SUPPOSED to happen, ie an intentionally DESIGNED "Auto Handbrake", and whether there is any description of it in the owner's manual? To be honest, even if all the above circumstances were true and consistent, anyone trying to rely on all that deserves to have their car rolling away down the hill?

Looks like one of us is going to have to actually read the manual!

It’s raining here so I’m not going out to the car, anyway I’ve an automatic so doesn’t affect me..

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 5:18 PM, Gilli said:

I have a Focus Titanium 2019 diesel (but registered December 31st 2018)  Manual.  Doesn’t need ad blue but is the Ecoblu engine. Since the beginning, I have had problems with auto hold turning itself off randomly. This also goes along with intermittent failure to apply the parking brake on engine switch off. 
during a drive I will be using auto hold at junctions and then I realise the little A has failed to illuminate. Sure enough, when I glance down, the orange light has gone out and I need to turn it on again. 
Sometimes it doesn’t remember the setting at the end of a drive and the next time I use the car I have to engage it again. 
if it turns off just before I park, the parking brake won’t automatically engage. I have to apply it manually. 
The car has been in last week and spent 1.5 days having software updates. I have had a series of problems with system failures such as the navigation freeze ups etc.experienced  by many of us, but also failure of various systems such as park pilot; emergency call, Hill start assist, pre collision assist among others. It requires an engine stop and door opening and time to reset the computers involved. 
But it is the brake issues that concern me. 
Has anybody else experienced auto hold turning off during a drive? I have got used to it, but have to be aware of the failures when on steep hills and be prepared to adapt to the situation and use the electronic handbrake manually when necessary. 
Ford dealer has been helpful, but has not seen it on any other car. Neither have they seen the catalogue of errors ny car exhibits on its screen! 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Just to emphasise. Auto hold switches off during normal driving conditions on normal commuting conditions. It works for half a day or sometimes less if more- it’s completely random- then suddenly turns off. It frequently needs to be turned on again the next time I drive  the car. Along with this, parking brake fails to come on automatically. This coincides with when auto hold has turned off just beforehand. Not what I expect from a £25000 car. ☹️
Gillian 

Hi the parking Brake is not Automatic. You have to Manually apply it. It called an Electric Handbrake not Automatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if the handbook really doesn't cover this fully... sounds to me like they added an (undocumented) safety feature for people jumping out of the car who have forgotten to apply the handbrake, but its NOT supposed to be used day to day - thus if the sequence for emergency application isn't met it won't happen (hence apparent random application)

As it only affects the manual gearbox cars, another important point is to ALWAYS leave the car in gear when you turn the engine off.  And if the idiots hadn't replaced a proper handbrake lever with stupid button you should be checking this is on as you jump in, and It should also be an automatic reaction to put your foot on the clutch when cranking the engine.  If you want to argue about any of the points in this paragraph please get your keys and place them down the nearest drain and cut up your photo ID license as you shouldn't be on the roads

• Like 1

When I bought my Mk4 now back in Nov2018 the dealer demonstrated the way the handbrake will work "automatically "but pointed out that its not made clear in the handbook. Seems that hasn't been changed. Personally I have no problem with it but always keep one eye on the info display to make sure its engaged. There are 2 alerts for this after all !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I don't know if it's relevant but I have a strange issue.

My car (1.5 Ecoblue A / T St-line) starts to throw "ESP needs service" error in slow speeds, straight road conditions. It happens almost the same place of the road but not everyday. This error also deactivates Auto-Hold and automatic parking brake. It dissappears after ignition off. After a while, I realized the error occurs the days only when I leave the parking space with reverse driving. Reverse driving speed should also exceed 10-12 km/h...Auto hold, hill assist also become unavailable after the event till the next ignition. I'm having following DTCs after event. 

ABS - C0051-67

This DTC sets in continuous memory and on-demand if the center position of the steering wheel cannot be determined after 30 seconds of driving at a speed between 12 km / h (7 mph) and 50 km / h (31 mph).

ABS - U0151-00
PSCM - U0415-00

Most probably this issue started with ABS and PSCM software update after my last service appointment. We tried steering angle calibration, re-progragraming of ABS and PSCM. Still no solution.

• 1 month later...

Can I just clarify, do you have to switch the auto hold button on every time you start the engine? Or should it remember your last action. The manual seems to say you don't.

Should remember last position,however occasionally I and others find it turns it turns itself off along with other features.

• Like 1

Intresting read. Ive never felt the need to use the Auto hold at all and luckily I park on the flat at home albeit on the street and leave the car in gear when I park up. 

Getting in a modern car nowadays reminds me of that bl**dy meerkat saying "all automated, Sergei"😃

You have to work out if you have hill start assist, manually switched electric parking brake, or the auto hold version, or a combination of those. 

I often wonder if all this stuff is driven by customer demand or (sinister plot alert!) the ongoing push towards autonomous vehicles?😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8888 said:

Can I just clarify, do you have to switch the auto hold button on every time you start the engine? Or should it remember your last action. The manual seems to say you don't.

As Brian said it should remember the last setting. On the very few occasions that mine has switched itself off it has been when my battery has been low on charge. Other things will be disabled as well when that happens.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to jump on this.

The autohold on my Focus Vignale has also randomly switched off. I have put in a formal complaint with Ford to reject the car. I dont feel safe with it. It has randomly turned off and I got out of the car and it started to roll. I have a kid too, Im scared in case it fails when she is getting out of the car.

The garage cant replicate the fault, as its intermittent,(The car has been in approx 6 times) so Ford are saying there is not enough evidence to support my claim. I am raging! I loved this car, but now i feel like its a ticking time bomb

45 minutes ago, Carlord01 said:

Just wanted to jump on this.

The autohold on my Focus Vignale has also randomly switched off. I have put in a formal complaint with Ford to reject the car. I dont feel safe with it. It has randomly turned off and I got out of the car and it started to roll. I have a kid too, Im scared in case it fails when she is getting out of the car.

The garage cant replicate the fault, as its intermittent,(The car has been in approx 6 times) so Ford are saying there is not enough evidence to support my claim. I am raging! I loved this car, but now i feel like its a ticking time bomb

Manual or automatic gearbox? 
I’ve got an automatic. The auto hold turns itself off sometimes. But I engage the handbrake with the switch every time I get out the car. Auto hold is more a hill start assist but on flat too for me. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club