Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

33 minutes ago, Sprawlsy said:

When I got home & pulled up on the drive, stopped, auto-hold activated, engine still running, unclipped the seat belt & it triggered the handbrake to activate.

Just to complicate things..when I get home auto hold activates like anywhere else. S/S kicks in. If I unbuckle the seatbelt the engine starts again. Doesn’t trigger the handbrake. Maybe getting out the car while the engine is running (like the video above shows) will turn off engine, put it in P and engage the park brake. I’ll be trying it out obviously but fact it’s not even mentioned in the owners manual makes me dubious about using it 

10 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Just to complicate things..when I get home auto hold activates like anywhere else. S/S kicks in. If I unbuckle the seatbelt the engine starts again. Doesn’t trigger the handbrake. Maybe getting out the car while the engine is running (like the video above shows) will turn off engine, put it in P and engage the park brake. I’ll be trying it out obviously but fact it’s not even mentioned in the owners manual makes me dubious about using it 

Why would taking off your seatbelt start the engine? That seems a strange thing to do. 

Why would opening the door turn off the engine? 

8 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Why would taking off your seatbelt start the engine? That seems a strange thing to do. 

Why would opening the door turn off the engine? 

When s/s is working taking off seatbelt starts the engine again. Also if you turn the steering wheel even a fraction ..engine starts.

Re the door etc ..The American guy in the video above explains it

Something I'm going to watch for next time I come home as reverse on to my driveway

"Note:  The system deactivates if you shift into reverse (R) and press the brake pedal.

The system could be unavailable when any of the following occur:

• During an active park assist maneuver.
  • Your vehicle is in stay in neutral mode.  See  Automatic Transmission
  • The driver door is open.
  • The driver seatbelt has not been fastened.
  • You shift into reverse (R) before the system is active."

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

When s/s is working taking off seatbelt starts the engine again. Also if you turn the steering wheel even a fraction ..engine starts.

When I first read your post I too thought that can't be right, but it actually makes sense as a safety feature.  In it's way it is saying you haven't turned the engine off, don't get out the car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alex.S said:

The green A top middle lets you know auto hold is on.

the green A lower left next to temperature gauge is telling you your stop/start is on (engine off).  hope that helps 

That's not confusing at all... :laugh: 

Would still like to know who thought 'A' was appropriate for Stop/Start...have you ever seen an 'S' light!?  No...but now we need 2 'A's! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Re the door etc ..The American guy in the video above explains it

That doesn't happen in mine, nor does opening the door make the engine come back on. 

You stated opening the door turns off the engine, that's not what happens in the video that was posted. The parking brake comes on when you open the door. Unless this is all different between manual and auto? 

5 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

You stated opening the door turns off the engine, that's not what happens in the video that was posted

I stand corrected on that.

6 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

That doesn't happen in mine, nor does opening the door make the engine come back on

I tested the taking seatbelt off while s/s is working this morning, it works. That, touching the steering wheel , opening the door..all start the engine. I doubt very much if that’s different in manuals . I don’t know tho 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That's not confusing at all... :laugh: 

Would still like to know who thought 'A' was appropriate for Stop/Start...have you ever seen an 'S' light!?  No...but now we need 2 'A's! :laugh: 

shouldn't it have i for stop start - as in i for idiot damaging their car

8 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I stand corrected on that.

I tested the taking seatbelt off while s/s is working this morning, it works. That, touching the steering wheel , opening the door..all start the engine. I doubt very much if that’s different in manuals . I don’t know tho 

The turning of the steering wheel also does not work, a message comes on the screen to press a pedal. 

4 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

The turning of the steeting wheel also does not work, a message comes on the screen to press a pedal. 

Must be a setting for this  🤔 

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

Must be a setting for this  🤔 

Nope, nothing. 

5 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Nope, nothing. 

I had a quick look in the owners manual, there’s so much info ..couldn’t find a reference to this feature. I’m sure it’s in there somewhere. 

Maybe some other owners can post if it works for them or not? 

All these comments just reinforce what I think about most of this ancillary tech.  If it doesn't work perfectly, every time, I won't rely on it, I'll just turn it off.

From my handbook.

For automatic transmission

The system restarts the engine under certain conditions, for example:

• If you open the driver door or unfasten the driver seatbelt.
  • If you switch the heated windshield on.
  • If you switch maximum A/C or maximum defrost on.
  • If you turn the steering wheel.
  • If your vehicle starts to roll downhill in neutral.
  • To maintain adequate brake assistance.
  • To maintain the interior climate or reduce fogging.

For manual transmission

• To maintain the interior climate or reduce fogging.

Mine is manual and works exactly as above

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Comares2001 said:

For automatic transmission

• If you open the driver door or unfasten the driver seatbelt.
  • To maintain the interior climate or reduce fogging

Mines automatic and works exactly as above. 

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

All these comments just reinforce what I think about most of this ancillary tech.  If it doesn't work perfectly, every time, I won't rely on it, I'll just turn it off.

To be fair, mine seems to work as it should (maybe apart from turning the steering wheel to start the engine, will have to test that again). It seems there is slight differences between manual and auto. My parking brake, auto hold and auto handbrake all seem to work fine all of the time. 

Tried turning the steering wheel and the engine does come on. Can't have turned it hard enough originally. So working as intended.

8 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

if you dont use the tech, why dont you have a Dacia instead?

• Haha 1

Also the thing is that most of this "ancillary tech" is either already or soon to become mandatory on all  new cars. eg : stop/start, auto lights,intelligent speed limiter, pre-collision braking  etc which is why we should all embrace it and get used to it warts and all. 

Even Dacias are specced up these days. 😀

Because I can't get what I I want.    To get the 182 engine I had to have either an stxl or a vignale with tech I don't need, just because I wanted a comfortable auto with a bit of poke. 

Just a choice is all I want.  I can switch off Lane assist, auto hold, stopstart etc.  The collision assist though is just *****.  There's no other word for it.   But I can't switch the wretched thing off. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Even Dacias are specced up these days. 😀

Because I can't get what I I want.    To get the 182 engine I had to have either an stxl or a vignale with tech I don't need, just because I wanted a comfortable auto with a bit of poke. 

Just a choice is all I want.  I can switch off Lane assist, auto hold, stopstart etc.  The collision assist though is just *****.  There's no other word for it.   But I can't switch the wretched thing off. 

the collision assist used to beep at me every time i go round a corner and someone is walking on the pavement. I dont know if you can turn it off. but you can reduce the sensitivity and that made a big difference. 
Also, I think they have stopped the 182 engine in favour of the MHEV 1.0 155PS and the automatics are now the 125 petrol or the 150 diesel. 
meh

• Like 1

I hate all this new tech,  electric starter motors, what was wrong with a nice simple crank handle.

On a slightly more serious point all this tech does work, it's just ford who can't implement it properly stop/start being the perfect example, it works fine  for other manufacturers, but either ford intelligent battery management it as thick as @&%£ or the batteries are not big enough in the first place. The same with the map updates, several manufacturers use the Here Maps and get updates, but it's ford who can't get them released and installed.

It's not a tech fault is a ford fault.

56 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

several manufacturers use the Here Maps and get updates, but it's ford who can't get them released and installed.

It's not a tech fault is a ford fault.

Ford have done a deal with here back in January. That’s where the hazard warning features coming from. Hopefully improve the sat nav too.

9 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Ford have done a deal with here back in January. That’s where the hazard warning features coming from. Hopefully improve the sat nav too.

Ford have been using Here maps since Sync 2 days.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club