Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

Just now, alexp999 said:

Ford have been using Here maps since Sync 2 days.

Didn’t know that. Owned by Daimler, Audi and Merc (?) with most manufacturers having a share in the company that used to be Nokia.

Daimler have the same sat nav as ford ? 

Just now, Alex.S said:

Didn’t know that. Owned by Daimler, Audi and Merc (?) with most manufacturers having a share in the company that used to be Nokia.

Daimler have the same sat nav as ford ? 

Same map data source, doesn't mean they are the same in terms of updates, detail or actual navigation software.

I think it’s the same map data that sync 2 had , local businesses on mine that closed years ago. 

I read the whole of this thread getting worried that the handbrake would not come on or that the car would roll off down a hill never to be seen again...but I have never read such a long thread about a non problem.

I can't remember the last time I needed to hold the car to start on a hill, maybe because its a manual diesel you can find the bite point while holding don the foot brake.  When I want the hand brake to come on I just apply it, whether an old style ratchet handle or a new style electronic button, but mostly just park it in gear and it holds itself.  Went out to my Mk4 yesterday and saw that I have been driving around with auto-hold deactivated, never even noticed and when I switched it on it worked exactly just as it should.  Then switched it off again as I decided I don't have any use for it as explained above.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, south_bound said:

I read the whole of this thread getting worried that the handbrake would not come on or that the car would roll off down a hill never to be seen again...but I have never read such a long thread about a non problem.

I can't remember the last time I needed to hold the car to start on a hill, maybe because its a manual diesel you can find the bite point while holding don the foot brake.  When I want the hand brake to come on I just apply it, whether an old style ratchet handle or a new style electronic button, but mostly just park it in gear and it holds itself.  Went out to my Mk4 yesterday and saw that I have been driving around with auto-hold deactivated, never even noticed and when I switched it on it worked exactly just as it should.  Then switched it off again as I decided I don't have any use for it as explained above.

I didn’t use the auto hold first few months. Always on now. There’s a fb group dedicated to this “non problem “ ! Mines an automatic, maybe it’s only manuals that have this ‘issue’? Hill start assist comes on itself without telling you and there’s no way to turn it off...I think you’ve had a helping hand without realising it ! 

For me the Auto Hold function is a great feature when it works but because of the intermittent nature of the problem it constitutes a safety problem. I switch it on and expect it to work I don't expect it to switch itself off without my intervention, because of the location of the switch in the centre console you don't realise its off of until you roll back or forward at a junction.

For me this is not a "non problem" and I just wish some of the motoring press would highlight all the problems Mk4 owners are having and the apparent inability of Ford Europe to correct the problems in a timely manner. 

• Like 1

Just don't release your foot from from brake pedal until you see the green A in the dash?

I haven't had any issues it turning off, but I still wouldn't release my foot unless I've seen the acknowledgement it's taken over.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Just don't release your foot from from brake pedal until you see the green A in the dash?

I haven't had any issues it turning off, but I still wouldn't release my foot unless I've seen the acknowledgement it's taken over.

I do the same.

• Like 1

This 

37 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

This is just a workaround not a solution.

I will turn off the Auto Hold function and ask Ford for a refund for another feature that does not work along with the Sync 3 problems and lack of updates, out of date maps, front and rear heated windows not working, keyless entry not working both because of battery charge level, Emergency call system errors, park assist errors.

My Focus is going in for its first service in October they have booked it in for five days to apply all updates. Will it cure all my problems on past experience I doubt it.

20 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I didn’t use the auto hold first few months. Always on now. There’s a fb group dedicated to this “non problem “ ! Mines an automatic, maybe it’s only manuals that have this ‘issue’? Hill start assist comes on itself without telling you and there’s no way to turn it off...I think you’ve had a helping hand without realising it ! 

Hill hold is in the cluster menus on my sisters Mk 3 - it seemed to get the feature during the clutch software update … maybe its now on all the time ??? as it was working (and she had never had it on before.... ) and when I looked it was unticked in the cluster!

21 minutes ago, rayferry said:

This 

I will turn off the Auto Hold function and ask Ford for a refund for another feature that does not work along with the Sync 3 problems and lack of updates, out of date maps, front and rear heated windows not working, keyless entry not working both because of battery charge level, Emergency call system errors, park assist errors.

My Focus is going in for its first service in October they have booked it in for five days to apply all updates. Will it cure all my problems on past experience I doubt it.

It's not a workaround, it's how it works. If you're releasing the brake without auto hold being active, of course it's going to roll. 

52 minutes ago, rayferry said:

This 

It's just staying in control of the car as is your responsibility and not blindly assuming the car has taken over, in the same way I make sure the parking brake has applied itself before I get out, check for the light. I have to squeeze the brake pedal sometimes if I've done a slow stop to make auto-hold engage. This attitude is why car "safety" systems can actually be more dangerous, if people use them without thought.

Sync 3 updates and maps are in the process of rolling out now. Heated screens and keyless are due to low battery charge, it can cause issues on other systems. Not sure why they need 5 days to do what should only take a couple of hours though.

My head hurts from reading the last page of this thread and I'm sure there's load more detail over this issue (whether personal opinion is that you think it needs resolving or not).

Points to consider (as the manufacturer will tell you) 

Irrespective of auto /manual it's a supplemental feature and in no way should it be a substitute for driver due care and attention. It's there's solely for convenience. 

NB: I worked for a main automotive manufacturer (not Ford) - in my experience all caveats are outlined in your owners manual and this will used in the event an incident occurs.

If you were to stop, apply brakes, release and roll down a hill it's on you. You are not in control of the car. Your insurer would side with the manufacturer. Same goes for any feature (PDW sensors, reversing camera, blind spot etc) 

Just because you have the tech doesn't mean you should rely on it and expect it to be active 100% of the time. 

RE the concern of Auto hold - when activated it works flawlessly. Do I have to turn it on again sometimes? Yes. Is it annoying? Yes. 

I believe the application of the system is either applied to battery charge level, recent or previous journey (and its use) or time since last journey... 

Customer service / Ford UK will not have this information, heck Ford Europe won't. Yes you can complain but when activated, the system works without fault so it's highly unlikely anything will be done.

EDIT: As I think another user said, simply applying normal brake pressure will not activate auto hold in my experience. Once stopped you have to effectively push the brake to the end of its travel (more brake pressure) and the system will engage) if you're concerned it doesn't work through normal operation try this.

• Like 2

Also, just because I'm in my car on lunch I may have found the answer to concerns. 

Image attached shows with engine on/seatbelt off. I attempted to manually deselect and re-engage this function. 

If you turn the vehicle on without fastening your seatbelt the system will not activate (if remembering last use /setting on previous journey) much the same as some manufacturers EPB will not disengage automatically without seatbelt on. Hope this helps 🙌

20200825_144356.jpg

23 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I Not sure why they need 5 days to do what should only take a couple of hours though.

They service technicians say it should take no more than three days but they have had problems with the Ford servers in the past with updates. They booked my car in for five days so I can have a courtesy car for five days if the updates overrun.

I have never seen the warning message in dmizz93 post, must be only one I haven't seen 😁

15 minutes ago, dmizz93 said:

Irrespective of auto /manual it's a supplemental feature and in no way should it be a substitute for driver due care and attention. It's there's solely for convenience. 

After reading ages back that auto park brake is not actually in the manual.  Many months ago I suggested its likely not a feature you are meant to use / rely on.  But rather an emergency procedure the car applies when it detects certain unusual circumstances have been reached (like the driver being absent minded or plain stupid).  As you may never know all the scenarios that cause emergency features to be deployed, it would seem obvious why some drivers using as an every day tool believe its applied at random / faulty...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Botus said:

Hill holds is in the cluster menus on my sisters Mk 3 - it seemed to get the feature during the clutch software update … maybe its now on all the time ??? as it was working (and she had never had it on before.... ) and when I looked it was unticked in the cluster!

A23C85AC-783D-41C8-B042-1DC72ED8C1E0.png

Used the Auto Hold today for the first time.

First impressions.

I Think it depends largely on your driving style.

....yeah it saves me from applying the handbrake when I park up but on a 50 mile round trip it came on twice both times when I was facing downhill at traffic lights in stationary traffic. Other times when I came to a stop it didnt engage which I think is because I'm not a heavy braker. On those occasions it didnt apply I put my foot firmly to the floor once the car had stopped and it did come on. 

My conclusion is yeah it works and does what it says on the tin providing you have a right foot made of lead or suffer from Elephantitus or perhaps have a regular twitch or spasm 😄

I will leave it engaged for a while as it saves me from putting on the electric brake each time I park up.

3 hours ago, rayferry said:

This 

Not a work around this is exactly how it's described in the owners manual

14 minutes ago, Wino said:

will leave it engaged for a while as it saves me from putting on the electric brake each time I park up.

Still need to put the electric brake on when parking 

Just now, Alex.S said:

Mine puts itself on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Botus said:

After reading ages back that auto park brake is not actually in the manual.  Many months ago I suggested its likely not a feature you are meant to use / rely on.  But rather an emergency procedure the car applies when it detects certain unusual circumstances have been reached (like the driver being absent minded or plain stupid).  As you may never know all the scenarios that cause emergency features to be deployed, it would seem obvious why some drivers using as an every day tool believe its applied at random / faulty...

Sound logic but its a convenience feature as opposed to an emergency feature. There's no real way for the cars systems to account for human error. Only expection to this is the radar/laser guided cruise control which triggers autonomous braking for those with it equipped.

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

No. Eachtime ( 3 occasions) I parked up in a car park and switched off the car it came on automatically.

You don't even have to switch off the car, mine applies the parking brake as soon as I undo my seat belt.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Mine puts itself on.

This thread is never going to end! 
What’s the consensus? Works in manuals not autos? 
Whys it not mentioned in the owners manual? (As far as I know 

Just now, Wino said:

No. Eachtime ( 3 occasions) I parked up in a car park and switched off the car it came on automatically.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club