Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

1 hour ago, rayferry said:

They service technicians say it should take no more than three days but they have had problems with the Ford servers in the past with updates. They booked my car in for five days so I can have a courtesy car for five days if the updates overrun.

I have never seen the warning message in dmizz93 post, must be only one I haven't seen 😁

If you turn the engine on, do not put seatbelt on.. disengage and engage the system the message will pop up. What I'm saying is if you had it on during journey a... Go back to the car for journey B and turned the car on BEFORE putting your seatbelt on it will turn off and stay off (at least that's the way j think it should work based on the meaaage) 

In the auto switching off the engine puts it in P. 
handbrakes the drivers job 

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You don't even have to switch off the car, mine applies the parking brake as soon as I undo my seat belt.

I stop the car the s/s kicks in. Undoing the seatbelt starts the engine again. 

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

I stop the car the s/s kicks in. Undoing the seatbelt starts the engine again. 

When I pull up to open the gate before parking on the drive, I often have the s/s turned off as I come round the corner, pull up, seatbelt off and parking brake auto-applies. Open gate, I then don't put seatbelt back on and manually release parking brake just to pull in. If I put seatbelt back on it comes off automatically, I just cba to wear seat belt to drive 10m on to drive, lol. It also won't reapply parking brake as my seatbelt is off, so I have to do it manually. Otherwise if parking without getting out, it will just apply the brake as soon as I either undo seatbelt or switch engine off.

5 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

This thread is never going to end! 
What’s the consensus? Works in manuals not autos? 
Whys it not mentioned in the owners manual? (As far as I know 

It does make you wonder why they (Ford) actually bothered to put the electric brake button in to begin with and have the Auto hold on as a permanent replacement but perhaps that might be due to the legality if for some reason it doesn't apply.

Oddly enough during todays outing I forgot to switch off the stop start with faffing around with the Auto hold to begin with. Didn't make a blind bit of difference still never came on despite showing 12.6v on the gismo and charging at 14.6v through the entire journey 🙄

Has anyone else had both the Stop start and Auto hold work together at the same time ? 😄

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Has anyone else had both the Stop start and Auto hold work together at the same time ? 

Every time 

only ever touch the handbrake switch when parking 

56 minutes ago, Wino said:

Used the Auto Hold today for the first time.

First impressions.

I Think it depends largely on your driving style.

....yeah it saves me from applying the handbrake when I park up but on a 50 mile round trip it came on twice both times when I was facing downhill at traffic lights in stationary traffic. Other times when I came to a stop it didnt engage which I think is because I'm not a heavy braker. On those occasions it didnt apply I put my foot firmly to the floor once the car had stopped and it did come on. 

My conclusion is yeah it works and does what it says on the tin providing you have a right foot made of lead or suffer from Elephantitus or perhaps have a regular twitch or spasm 😄

I will leave it engaged for a while as it saves me from putting on the electric brake each time I park up.

Do you fully understand its use?

When parked up, I'd be using the parking brake not auto hold. 

Just now, shawty1984 said:

Auto hold engages the handbrake when you stop and remove seat belt or turn engine off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Auto hold engages the handbrake when you stop and remove seat belt or turn engine off. 

I know but the way it was worded seemed to suggest that he/she was parking and just using auto hold. Parking doesn't necessarily mean undoing the seatbelt or turning the engine off, they could be waiting for someone. 

I get looking back though that it probably means that he/she is using auto hold and then the auto parking brake comes on. It's just the way its all written, it seems to be written that they are confused how it works when in reality it's very simple. You need to come to a stop and then firmly apply pressure.

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

A23C85AC-783D-41C8-B042-1DC72ED8C1E0.png

odd, you can find in her cluster menu and you can tick or untick the box.... her's has nav and park assist (you can tick or untick but it works anyway it was working after the update when I next drove it.  I was going to turn off when I found the menu and it "already was" 

I'd never found this on her car until after that clutch software recall

25 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Why would I have to press the Brake button to engage the Handbrake when the Autohold does that for me ? 

Depress the Auto hold to then to press the brake button to engage what would of been done with the previous button beung left alone. 

I don't think its me who is confused 😂

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

Why would I have to press the Brake button to engage the Handbrake when the Autohold does that for me ? 

Depress the Auto hold to then to press the brake button to engage what would of been done with the previous button beung left alone. 

I don't think its me who is confused 😂

I've already explained. I took it to mean that you were parking but necessarily getting out of the car, maybe picking someone up which is why I suggested that I'd be using the parking brake and not auto hold. 

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Used the Auto Hold today for the first time.

....yeah it saves me from applying the handbrake when I park up but on a 50 mile round trip it came on twice both times when I was facing downhill at traffic lights in stationary traffic. Other times when I came to a stop it didnt engage which I think is because I'm not a heavy braker. On those occasions it didnt apply I put my foot firmly to the floor once the car had stopped and it did come on. 

I think you have added more to the party.... and may be a feature for ones with an electronic handbrake. 

Where the idiots removed the better easily applied manual handbrake and replaced with a pathetic and offensive electronic switch... you need a sensible way to hold the car so you don't ride the clutch taking off on a hill or a slope. 

Mercedes for many years have a hold feature you apply by pushing firmly (with longer than normal travel) to apply the brakes and a hold message on the cluster illuminates.  After doing this you can release your foot from the brake pedal (the brakes stay applied) and the brake lights remain on.  You pull away normally and the brake release themselves

• Like 1

Now I'm not going to try it, but if someone else is brave enough.

The electronic handbrake should not be used when the car is in motion, but on a VW if you lift the electronic park brake switch and KEEP it lifted the ABS comes on to slow the car down to a stop, this is so the passenger can stop the car if the driver is unable to (blacks out /heart attack) I just wonder if this is a feature for all cars and not just VW

Just now, Mark-UK said:

The electronic handbrake should not be used when the car is in motion, but on a VW if you lift the electronic park brake switch and KEEP it lifted the ABS comes on to slow the car down to a stop, this is so the passenger can stop the car if the driver is unable to (blacks out /heart attack) I just wonder if this is a feature for all cars and not just VW

It says in the manual it does this on the Fords too. It’s an emergency braking feature in case you lose brake pressure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

It says in the manual it does this on the Fords too. It’s an emergency braking feature in case you lose brake pressure. 

Cheers, I must have missed that in the manual

4 minutes ago, Botus said:

I think you have added more to the party.... and may be a feature for ones with an electronic handbrake. 

Where the idiots removed the better easily applied manual handbrake and replaced with a pathetic and offensive electronic switch... you need a sensible way to hold the car so you don't ride the clutch taking off on a hill or a slope. 

Mercedes for many years have a hold feature you apply by pushing firmly (with longer than normal travel) to apply the brakes and a hold message on the cluster illuminates.  After doing this you can release your foot from the brake pedal (the brakes stay applied) and the brake lights remain on.  You pull away normally and the brake release themselves

I guess it's each to their own with regard to preference on EPB / Conventional handbrake but for me, EPB is better. 

Reason being is that because it's actuated it takes away an element of human error in correctly applying the handbrake. Once it's on, it's in, if it fails then that's the manufacturer's problem.

Working within the industry the amount of hassle caused when a customer has applied the handbrake with insufficient force (minimal clicks) and/or not engaged first gear to prevent roll back.. well guess what, their car has careered into a wall/car/ overnight and now it's the manufacturer's fault because they've not waited to check it's ok 😂 

Call me a cynic but there's people on the roads that need to retake their test but that's another conversation entirely! 

50 minutes ago, Botus said:

Perhaps I've missed the point but that is exactly how the autohold works on the Focus4

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

The electronic handbrake should not be used when the car is in motion, but on a VW

do they not all do exactly that...

its doesn't apply the main brakes I believe, its just slows the car on the park brake without putting it on enough to lock

you can't handbrake turn any with electronic and brake (they'd have to built this way).... a lever you pull you can let off easily.... but if it did just lock the wheels how long does it take the electronics to release it.... just after the tree / someone's living room

my mate tries it on every car he's been in with electronic park brake and all just slow down gently (Peugeot, Renault, Nissan, Volvo, Ford, Vauxhall)  (he likes doing handbrake turn's - he's quite good at it)... I expect by law they must have it do something.... what if the hydraulics fail ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

Perhaps I've missed the point but that is exactly how the autohold works on the Focus4

first time I read that's how you apply on a Ford. Which left me wondering if most drivers realise this is how you apply.  The hill hold it automatic on my sisters seems dim to invent two methods to hold at rest..

of course Merc mainly doing autos and using a silly foot operated brake before the electronic stuff came along, they had to invent a way to help when driving a manual coz you can't release the foot operated park brake progressively (yes released by hand, but its instant off).

On 8/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, dmizz93 said:

If you turn the engine on, do not put seatbelt on.. disengage and engage the system the message will pop up. 

I followed your instructions and have now seen this warning message, pity it did not show a warning message when it turns its self off.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, alexp999 said:

reading the posts above.... again seems clear its all pointing toward it being a safety feature

its saying its unsafe to drive a car without a seat belt, so I've applied the brakes.  Which is a good idea.  When a driver overrides, its saying OK he's taking the risk, I tried to help (but off you go die, see if I care).  It then stays off, because there may be a situation (the vehicle can't be aware of) that means there was a good reason to circumnavigate a safety aid

• Like 2

12 pages though. I think I'll just continue to reach down and flick the lever. 😀

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, update to my randomly disabling auto-hold.

The garage had my car for a week and couldnt replicate the fault. Then they checked the connectors and found there was a slightly loose connection for the system. This runs next to the passenger seat, so if a passenger was in the car and knocked that area, the connection could break and cause the system to disable itself. (thats the jist of it, at least)

To me, this makes sense, as it would disable itself more frequently when there was a passenger in the front. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carlord01 said:

So, update to my randomly disabling auto-hold.

The garage had my car for a week and couldnt replicate the fault. Then they checked the connectors and found there was a slightly loose connection for the system. This runs next to the passenger seat, so if a passenger was in the car and knocked that area, the connection could break and cause the system to disable itself. (thats the jist of it, at least)

To me, this makes sense, as it would disable itself more frequently when there was a passenger in the front. 

Thanks for the info - I'll check mine out too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club