Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 4:58 PM, Alex.S said:

I stop the car the s/s kicks in. Undoing the seatbelt starts the engine again. 

yep, mates Mondeo did that from new.... that I would suggest is a badly written bit of software.  can't see why that's a feature that would be deemed essential, but open to good ideas ?

edit... in fact he never uses his seatbelt.... it would fire up after cutting out when he opened the door to get out …..

2 hours ago, Botus said:

yep, mates Mondeo did that from new.... that I would suggest is a badly written bit of software.  can't see why that's a feature that would be deemed essential, but open to good ideas ?

edit... in fact he never uses his seatbelt.... it would fire up after cutting out when he opened the door to get out …..

Opening the door starts it too. It’s a safety warning that the cars about to restart anyway. 
No auto handbrake btw. 

19 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Opening the door starts it too. It’s a safety warning that the cars about to restart anyway. 
No auto handbrake btw. 

sound like a "lets fire it up a few times more than we need to get the cam drive under enough strain that it fails and we sell another car" trick to me

22 hours ago, Botus said:

A bit off topic, but a welcome distraction from talk of auto-hold whatever... Is there a way of deactivating the seatbelt warning chimes in the Mk4?  I did this on my Mk2 with a series of click in/out of the seatbelts but can't remember exactly what it was.  BTW I do wear my seatbelt on public roads but sometimes its useful not to have to buckle up if you are getting in and out, like to open and close a gate and such like.

he buckles it to the seat and sits on top.... bit of an idiot but there u go

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Botus said:

he buckles it to the seat and sits on top.... bit of an idiot but there u go

😂 I think that’s possibly the stupidest thing I ever heard.. 😂 

Re the sell another car trick..Ford, all manufacturers know every government will be giving hugely generous scrappage schemes . They don’t give a f*** about this (probably) last generation of petrol/diesel cars/lorries/buses. 
You’ve nothing to worry about , your mk2.5 probably run longer than my mk4. 

• 11 months later...

Hi I am having the same problem with my focus st line 2019 model

24 minutes ago, Steve morfee said:

I am having the same problem

Hi Stephen, welcome to the Ford Owners Club.

This an old and somewhat confused thread with many similar but diffrent problems being discussed. What exactly is the problem you are having with your Focus?

If it is a case that your Auto Hold is not always working, then in most cases it is caused by the car battery being low and needing to be charged.

• 4 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 6:23 PM, Alex.S said:

It has happened very few times in the 10 months I’ve had the car. I can’t figure out or explain why..

Phenomenon for now..

Did you ever find out what's causing the automatic handbrake issue? I'm currently having the same problem...

Sometimes when I turn the engine off while parking the handbrake will come on and other times it won't come on? It seems to be completely random and is driving me mad! I'm taking the car in tomorrow but worried they will palm me off. 

3 minutes ago, JezAdams said:

Did you ever find out what's causing the automatic handbrake issue? I'm currently having the same problem...

Sometimes when I turn the engine off while parking the handbrake will come on and other times it won't come on? It seems to be completely random and is driving me mad! I'm taking the car in tomorrow but worried they will palm me off. 

If your car is a Mk4 then It's an Electric Parking Brake, not an Automatic Parking Brake. To apply it you pull the lever up as per the instructions in the Handbook.

It does automatically release when you drive off as detailed in the Handbook if you don't manually release it and sometimes it will apply itself when you leave the car and do things in a certain order, but it was never intended to automatically apply itself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tizer said:

If your car is a Mk4 then It's an Electric Parking Brake, not an Automatic Parking Brake. To apply it you pull the lever up as per the instructions in the Handbook.

Now I'm confused!

But the handbrake is supposed to automatically come on when I turn the engine off right? So why does it do it sometimes and not others?

1 minute ago, JezAdams said:

Now I'm confused!

But the handbrake is supposed to automatically come on when I turn the engine off right? So why does it do it sometimes and not others?

No it is not supposed to automatically come on, its an Electric Handbrake not an Automatic one.

If you have a look at your handbook it tells you how to apply it and makes no reference to automatically applying itself and nowhere does it say it is an Automatic Handbrake. It does say that it automatically releases.

I don't know why it does apply itself sometimes if you do things in a certain order or timeframe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tizer said:

No it is not supposed to automatically come on, its an Electric Handbrake not an Automatic one.

I don't know why it does apply itself sometimes if you do things in a certain order or timeframe.

So what you're saying is that my handbrake shouldn't automatically be coming on when I turn the engine off?

1 hour ago, JezAdams said:

So what you're saying is that my handbrake shouldn't automatically be coming on when I turn the engine off?

Tizer never said that. 

He correctly said that it is not an automatic handbrake. You have to apply it by using the small lever. Under certain circumstances the handbrake may apply itself but this is only when certain conditions occur. 

The question I have is why is this question here in the Auto Hold thread which has nothing to do with the handbrake? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

Tizer never said that. 

The question I have is why is this question here in the Auto Hold thread which has nothing to do with the handbrake? 

Tizer did say that. Read their first sentence. 

Also the original poster of this thread said in their very first post, “This also goes along with intermittent failure to apply the parking brake on engine switch off.“

I don’t know why you guys are being awkward and dancing around my question? You are talking in doublespeak saying that it shouldn’t come on and that it should come on? 

The question is simple, when I park the car and turn the engine off should the handbrake automatically come on or not?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JezAdams said:

No it should not. But If you come to a stop and switch off the engine but don't apply the handbrake and then open the drivers door to exit the car then the handbrake ( electric) will auto apply.

I've got onto a lazy habit of switching car off  leaving in gear and just pull the internal door handle enough to see the auto apply message come up on the dash and then open the door fully before exiting the car.

• Thanks 1

I don't remember anyone asking this kind of question when there was just a big handle to pull that did a few clicks on the way up!  Are we losing the ability to do anything ourselves nowadays or just getting lazy, or both?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, south_bound said:

I don't remember anyone asking this kind of question when there was just a big handle to pull that did a few clicks on the way up!  Are we losing the ability to do anything ourselves nowadays or just getting lazy, or both?

It's just a confusing functionality...  As the handbrake applies automatically while on the road, you'd expect it to do the same when parked as well.

100% confusing thread! 

if you want the handbrake on …flick the switch 

Otherwise unless you’re getting out the car Auto Hold does it all. 

The End 

• Like 2

The Mk4 Focus will apply the electronic parking brake automatically when parking if you do things in the correct order and auto-hold is enabled. I hardly ever touch the manual switch.

It is linked to the seat belt.

Stop with the footbrake such that auto-hold engages and then unclip your seatbelt or turn off the ignition, the parking brake will be applied.

If you unclip your seat belt or open the door before you've come to a complete stop and before auto-hold has held the brakes, then it won't work.

It's the same way that it releases automatically when you first start the car and go to drive off. If you don't have your seatbelt on, it won't automatically release.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

The Mk4 Focus will apply the electronic parking brake automatically when parking if you do things in the correct order and auto-hold is enabled. I hardly ever touch the manual switch.

It is linked to the seat belt, not the door or ignition.

Stop with the footbrake such that auto-hold engages and then unclip your seatbelt, the parking brake will be applied.

If you unclip your seat belt or open the door before you've come to a complete stop and before auto-hold has held the brakes, then it won't work.

Well that's different to my Focus. 

If I stop then turn off the engine unclip seatbelt and proceed to exit the car as soon as I pull the door latch the " applying handbrake" notification comes on to the screen and that's without having "autohold" on.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Well that's different to my Focus. 

If I stop then turn off the engine unclip seatbelt and proceed to exit the car as soon as I pull the door latch the " applying handbrake" notification comes on to the screen and that's without having "autohold" on.

Yours is an auto though right? I'd expect a slightly different procedure for that. I assume you are in P when you get out.

Just now, alexp999 said:

Yours is an auto though right? I'd expect a slightly different procedure for that.

No. Its manual. 

Just back from the garage they tried to charge me 400quid to change the rear break pads and discs even though I’ve only done 6000 miles! 😂

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

No. Its manual. 

Do you leave it in gear when you turn it off?

I've never seen a message about the parking brake. Only ever if I try to move without my seatbelt clipped (like trying to move it on the drive before shutting the gate).

EDIT:

Although I might never have put it in the situation you see that message.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club