Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Best selling cars in uk.

jace1969

Looking at the list on a few sites it seems the corsa is making a comeback in 4th but Fiesta still top with v.w golf then Focus.

Got to say sitting in the new corsa it's a massive improvement over the old one but never driven one only my old 09 plate 6 years ago and the inside was way out of date and didn't hold the road.

The only non Ford I ever bought was a 61 plate Corsa diesel for my wife. It was awful, ridiculously underpowered, cheap rubbish interior, and working in the engine bay was a nightmare. I had to swap out the seized EGR valve and it turned into a 3 day job. 

As soon as I got it done I took it up the road and traded it in against my Focus. 

Never again. 

Read a test the other day on the new Corsa. Much improved but still didn't get into the top 5 superminis (Ibiza, Polo, Clio, Fiesta, Mini in that order) in their opinion. But for some reason they were testing autos, so the Fiesta fared less well than the manual might have done.

Don’t forget the new Corsa is on a PSA platform now. It’s no longer a 10 year old GM car underneath but the same as a modern Peugeot/Citroen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Don’t forget the new Corsa is on a PSA platform now. It’s no longer a 10 year old GM car underneath but the same as a modern Peugeot/Citroen. 

Yes, if you don't like the Peugeot i-cockpit or the wackiness of some Citroens, I guess it gives the option of the same mechanicals in a more conventional package!

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

I really am out of touch now...when did that happen? 😮 

Presumably it's a 208 underneath now?  I must admit I am impressed by the new 208 exterior looks, saw the ad with both electric and ICE options available recently.  I also like the look of the new Clio but you have to go quite high up the spec list to get the options I'd want sadly...

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Presumably it's a 208 underneath now?  I must admit I am impressed by the new 208 exterior looks, saw the ad with both electric and ICE options available recently.  I also like the look of the new Clio but you have to go quite high up the spec list to get the options I'd want sadly...

PSA (Peugeot) took over Opel & Vauxhall from GM in 2017. The Corsa F which was announced last year is built on the same platform as the new 208 and 2008 (also announced last year) and the DS3 crossback. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

PSA (Peugeot) took over Opel & Vauxhall from GM in 2017. 

I understand a lot of work had already been done on a new Corsa using GM componentry before the takeover. So they virtually had to start over with a new platform and have done pretty well to bring a competitive car to market in the timescale, I think.

I've seen a few impressions of a  rumoured Corsa VXR (which is probably going to be electric only) which looked pretty good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Arnold Shark gave me a 208 when my Focus was in with them getting the steering rack replaced. I had to talk them up to the 208, as they were trying to give me a Fiat Panda and I told them to f**k right off with it. 

The 208 was the worst car I’ve ever driven. By miles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Finance Guy said:

Arnold Shark gave me a 208 when my Focus was in with them getting the steering rack replaced. I had to talk them up to the 208, as they were trying to give me a Fiat Panda and I told them to f**k right off with it. 

The 208 was the worst car I’ve ever driven. By miles. 

You must have led a sheltered car life then, there are some horrific cars about! :biggrin: 

Tbf I haven't driven any supermini I actually liked driving so far...but I'm more of a comfort and lux guy than 'go kart handling' so I'm not really the target market lol.

I still think the new shape 208 with the more aggressive front looks good though...even if it drives awfully!

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You must have led a sheltered car life then, there are some horrific cars about! :biggrin: 

Tbf I haven't driven any supermini I actually liked driving so far...but I'm more of a comfort and lux guy than 'go kart handling' so I'm not really the target market lol.

I still think the new shape 208 with the more aggressive front looks good though...even if it drives awfully!

Fiat Punto 1.2 is by far and away the worst car I've ever driven! On topic though, I can see why the Fiesta consistently tops the charts, mines great fun for what it is.

There's a 1 series hatch round the corner.  Just looks like every other modern mid sized hatch.

Car design over the generations often seems to make them all look the same.

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

There's a 1 series hatch round the corner.  Just looks like every other modern mid sized hatch.

Car design over the generations often seems to make them all look the same.

Don't forget most of these 1 series driving around is likely financed by some kid who has no respect for other road users. Same goes for the Mercedes A classes. 

I feel both corsas and fiesta seem to have the average / friendly person in it but obviously you get those exceptions. 

I really like the 1 series now...even with the oversized front grill!  Think I must have been brainwashed by that advert being repeated constantly... :unsure:  

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I really like the 1 series now...even with the oversized front grill!  Think I must have been brainwashed by that advert being repeated constantly... :unsure:  

I think the brand new one has grown on me but I feel the fans don't like the FWD setup and smaller engines in the baby M version. I've got a little bit of a hatred to these though due to the stupid young kids driving around in them. That incident I said a few months back of one going in the middle of the road on a hatched area then cutting in front of my dad I believe I saw that car parked on my grans Road. If I was evil I would of done something but I'm not bad as these drivers. 

• Like 1

I wouldnt pay bmw/merc prices just to get into another fwd hatch.

• Like 1

BMW, Merc and Audi have all done the same - trying to create a car that appeals to the mass market. I reckon none of them are significantly better than a Focus, but are a lot more expensive. The PCP trap makes them affordable to anyone. 

They should all have stuck to their wheelhouses (RWD lux German Sports saloons) as I think it has devalued their overall brand. 

I've seen a lot of moans on BMW forums that the new 1 series looks like a Mk 4 Focus anyway - someone posted up photos of a side view and it really does, even down to the vestige of the "Hofmeister kink" .

• Like 2

Don't think i would ever have another corsa but was surprised how it jumped up the charts and still not as fun to drive as my little old fiesta i have read its a

massive improvement i think.

My old 1.4 Design drove bad as the roll on corners was bad and the inside looked like it was from the 1960's .

What is the top spec with everything on like the Titanium in a fiesta and the same as the 125 ecoboost as i have lost touch of the range on the corsa for years.

18 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've seen a lot of moans on BMW forums that the new 1 series looks like a Mk 4 Focus anyway - someone posted up photos of a side view and it really does, even down to the vestige of the "Hofmeister kink" .

It really does yes.

I mean I'd love to be back in a Merc but it would be a rwd C class saloon, not a fwd A class.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I mean I'd love to be back in a Merc but it would be a rwd C class saloon, not a fwd A class.

What's the attraction of RWD unless you go drifting roundabouts on the estate every night? (I'm guessing you're probably past that! :tongue: )

I've never driven RWD so far...but worried I'd mess up on the first damp corner in all honesty! 

• Like 1

I've driven my Dad's MX-5, admitedly that's about as balanced a car as you can get, but it does have a lovely feeling beind pushed by the rear of the car, than pulled by the front.

I don't think I'd want a nose-heavy, tail light RWD though, especially in the winter. My colleague at work kept all her Christmas alcohol, sacks of potatoes and such in the boot of her old BMW one winter.

• Like 1

RWD is great fun for handling (especially MX-5!), until it snows, or it’s really wet. 

• Like 1

It really does yes.

Had quite a lot of people say "I like your new beemer" until they see the badges and are surprised.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What's the attraction of RWD unless you go drifting roundabouts on the estate every night? (I'm guessing you're probably past that! :tongue: )

I've never driven RWD so far...but worried I'd mess up on the first damp corner in all honesty! 

I genuinely prefer the way it delivers, I prefer being pushed than pulled.

Maybe cos I'm old and the cars I first drove were rwd?  

I like the look of the long bonnet of a rwd saloon.

Aye I am not a drifter 😀

In snow the C was ok apart from getting out of our culdesac, as it's a blind uphill corner that you can't speed out of.

If I'd have put winter tyres on though I'd have been ok.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club