Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK2.5 sony stereo upgrade

spyroszar

Hi everyone. Today I was searching on how to upgrade the stereo on my car and I found this forum. I'm impressed with how much useful information and tips you all have in this community. Before I create a new topic I searched as much I could but as I'm completely new to this I have a few questions. What I want to do is to upgrade the stock 6000CD from my Ford Focus 1.6 MK2.5 from 2010 to something that can play music from my iPhone using bluetooth. Initially I was thinking to buy an aftermarket unit with Apple CarPlay but due to the cost of a unit with Wireless Car Play and the fact that I don't like the looks of an aftermarket unit, I discarded that idea. I found out however that I can achieve what I want with the Sony stereo but I got lost with all the different models. I also didn't understand if I also need to replace the bluetooth module or not. Currently with the stock 6000CD I can only connect my iPhone and speak on the phone. To sum up, my requirements are the following: 1) Play music from my iPhone using bluetooth. 2) Speak on the phone using bluetooth. 3) Play songs from USB (optional. I'll rarely use it).  Can someone guide me to what exactly I need to replace? Thank you all in advance.

Aftermarket is your best bet. They look so much more modern than the factory units (as long as you get one that bolts in without requiring a fascia adapter).

I had the sony unit in my Focus and couldn't stream music over bluetooth. You have to remember this mk2 facelift was released 12 years ago now. To put that in technology perspective, the iPhone 3 had just been released and most people were still using flip phones. There was no such thing as listening to music at that time lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Aftermarket is your best bet. They look so much more modern than the factory units (as long as you get one that bolts in without requiring a fascia adapter).

I had the sony unit in my Focus and couldn't stream music over bluetooth. You have to remember this mk2 facelift was released 12 years ago now. To put that in technology perspective, the iPhone 3 had just been released and most people were still using flip phones. There was no such thing as listening to music at that time lol.

From what I found out from my research, you probably didn't have the correct bluetooth module. Anyway, you're probably right. Even if I buy the correct components and the whole thing works from now, the components are still 12 years old and I'll probably have compatibility issues. Especially with newer phones. Let alone the fact that it will cost me about 250 euros to buy the Sony unit and the correct bluetooth module. After a lot of search here,  I found the Seicane aftermarket units which come with a custom fascia adapter and with 9" screens and Apple Car Play. Due to the custom fascia adapter, they offer bigger screens and a more pleasant look than a generic 2din unit. I think that I'll buy one of those.

For example this one: https://www.seicane.com/android-for-2004-2005-2006-2011-ford-focus-exi-mt-2-3-mk2-mk3-manual-ac-radio-hd-touchscreen-gps-navigation-with-usb-wifi-bluetooth-support-obd2-carplay-h621

After searching online, I found out that there are A LOT of bad reviews about Seicane units, so I decided not to risk it with this. I'll go with a more respectable company like Pioneer or Sony. Thank you all for your help.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After many months, I finally bought and installed a Sony XAV-AX3005DB head unit. Specifically, I bought this kit. It contains everything that is required for my car and everything works great. bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, Steering Wheel controls, automatic switching to the rear camera with reverse. I still wait the rear camera to arrive though. The setup was super easy and looks really clean and modern. I also bought this usb slot and it works great! Overall, I'm very happy with the result. It certainly wasn't cheap, but in my opinion it's worth it. Now I'm considering to upgrade the factory Speakers.

IMG_3119 2.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Congrats on installing the unit!

I've bought a Kenwood DMX-7017 DABS with CarPlay and installed it in my MK2.5. I was wondering if you have any issues with CarPlay on your Sony one. On the Kenwood, CarPlay sometimes acts up, showing this:

image3.thumb.jpeg.bd970c574c172f60db7d913eb6311cae.jpeg

Hi, I don't know anything about the unit you have but my Sony works perfectly with CarPlay. It has never lost the usb connection so far. I installed the unit in March, so I have it for almost 3 months now. I just posted the picture of the installation on May 1st. Do you connect your phone directly to the Kenwood or do you use an external usb slot like I do? Also have you tried different USB cables?

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:13 AM, doriangh said:

I bought a Kenwood DMX-7017 DABS with CarPlay and installed it in my MK2.5. I was wondering if you have any issues with CarPlay on your Sony one. On the Kenwood, CarPlay sometimes acts up, showing this:

image3.thumb.jpeg.bd970c574c172f60db7d913eb6311cae.jpeg

most stuff is chucked out for sale with a bare minimum development and little to no testing... sure enough some customer will complain then we "might" think about fixing it over the next 18 months... if its easy and we aren't bogged down trying to get new features working on the next model...

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/carplay-mm/DMX7017DABS/?view=support

2017 Navigation/Multimedia receiver firmware updates (9 August 2018)   wow that's old there's unlikely to be any more firmware fixes but worth check if you have this last one

Improved functions

(09.08.2018)

• Improved Apple CarPlay Function.
  • Improved Android Auto Function.
  • Improved Radio function.
  • Improved stability of performance.

(20.10.2017)

• Improved bluetooth Function.
  • Improved Dashboard Camera Function.

The firmware for the following products have been updated.

2017MODEL

• DDX9904S
  • DDX9704S
  • DDX9717BTS
  • DMX7704S
  • DMX7017DABS
  • DMX7017BTS

Be sure to read and follow the instructions in the "2017 Navigation/Multimedia receiver Firmware Update Guide."

28 minutes ago, Botus said:

most stuff is chucked out for sale with a bare minimum development and little to no testing... sure enough some customer will complain then we "might" think about fixing is over the next 18 months... if its easy and we are bogged down trying to get new features working on the next model...

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/carplay-mm/DMX7017DABS/?view=support

2017 Navigation/Multimedia receiver firmware updates (9 August 2018)   wow that's old there's unlikely to be any more firmware fixes but worth check if you have this last one

Improved functions

(09.08.2018)

• Improved Apple CarPlay Function.
  • Improved Android Auto Function.
  • Improved Radio function.

(20.10.2017)

• Improved Bluetooth Function.
  • Improved Dashboard Camera Function.

The firmware for the following products have been updated.

2017MODEL

• DDX9904S
  • DDX9704S
  • DDX9717BTS
  • DMX7704S
  • DMX7017DABS
  • DMX7017BTS

Be sure to read and follow the instructions in the "2017 Navigation/Multimedia receiver Firmware Update Guide."

I do have the latest one. 
I’m guessing you work for the Dev team at kenwood? Could the issue be a hardware one? And if I have the latest firmware can I install it again from a usb stick? And if I do, could it solve the issue?

thank you!

On 5/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, spyroszar said:

Hi, I don't know anything about the unit you have but my Sony works perfectly with CarPlay. It has never lost the usb connection so far. I installed the unit in March, so I have it for almost 3 months now. I just posted the picture of the installation on May 1st. Do you connect your phone directly to the Kenwood or do you use an external usb slot like I do? Also have you tried different USB cables?

I’ve had it thru an included usb extender, but since it started having those problems I’ve removed it. 
I’ve switched about 5-6 cables, the first two were MFI but aftermarket. The latter were original Apple cables, the last even being a brand new cable I’ve bought just for the occasion.

12 hours ago, doriangh said:

I do have the latest one. 
I’m guessing you work for the Dev team at kenwood? Could the issue be a hardware one? And if I have the latest firmware can I install it again from a usb stick? And if I do, could it solve the issue?

thank you!

sadly not....  You could feedback the issue and see if they have other versions in development.

most manufacturers have huge lists of bugs they ought to resolve....   But when the fix is small and they don't see many complaining they often leave a bunch of minor fixes in a development part finished update they never get round to releasing.  Multiple minor releases just makes them look bad.  Its when huge issues or major security bugs are out in the wild that gets them interested enough to bother. 

But the more that report / enquire, the more likely they will release a fix that could have many tiny fixes they actually resolved ages ago.  Trouble is model cycle are so fast they never care once its out of production....

another big issue is Apple are a dangerous bunch of incompetent bodge merchants... their software is based on guess and hope, rather than code following industry standards... its why nearly every update breaks bluetooth

I've just got in touch with the store I've bought it from, and they were very friendly and will take the unit back to take a look at this problem. Hope that fixes any issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club