Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"smart" repairs to paint work

cjay1

has anybody had smart repairs carried out on there paintwork and if so what was the end result?

i.e. could you still see where the repair was carried out?

just had a repair completed and although the colour match is spot on the paint looks rippled when the light hits it. is this a limitation of smart repairs or would a rippled finish indicate a poor repair job?

My brother has used our local chap and believe me he is anal with his BMW Schnitzer and you couldn't see the finish , but maybe depends on the surface as well.

I had the front corner of a car repaired about 3 years ago using a very highly recommended local smart repair company. I'd scraped the corner of the bumper removing the metallic blue paint and leaving the plastic bumper damaged too. The repair to the plastic was perfect, the paint colour was perfect too but the metallic finish of the paint didn't look quite the same as the original factory paint. I'd shopped around for several quotes and everyone told me "you can't get a factory paint finish outside of the factory". I was very pleased with the repair...….but I could see it if I looked carefully. My Dad has recently had a smart repair to the passengers door and wheel arch and again it's excellent but you can find it if you look carefully from certain angles. I've not seen anything which looks like "ripples"...….just a slight difference in the paint finish.

mine is deep impact blue so a metallic colour the clear coat blending cannot be seen but you can see where the colour coat ends as the paint is higher where the colour coat has been applied which is showing up when the light hits it.

I had a couple of repairs on my Audi a few years back using a local guy who was independent, not a franchisee of one of the "names". You really couldn't see where the repairs were, he did a superb job both times and I got top dollar for the car on trade in.

Unfortunately the guy ceased business and I have since used a local "conventional" bodyshop who also does an excellent job but is rather more expensive.

When mine was done (metallic blue paint with clear coat over) the chap repaired a patch of the bodywork about 5 inches square but he painted a much larger area all the way to where there were corners or edges. I assume that was so there was no blending from new paint to old paint on a surface where it would show. I was amazed by what he achieved to be honest given it was two hours work on my driveway and not in a proper paint booth.

the company that did mine coloured a small section around the scratch then clear coated a much larger area it is this colour coat looks like it was proud of the surface when the clear coat was applied this is what is now catching the light from certain angles.

In fairness if you are blending in you are putting paint on top of other paint so you will get a slightly raised paint.  Well done blending fades as you go to the end of the job, but near the repair you will have a raised area. In fairness you know exactly where to look so you will be extra critical.

• Like 1

Why not take a photo of the repair not close up but from a standing distance and let us see if its obvious ? only a thought.

• Like 1

I had a repair done to the rear wheel arch, mega door dint 😞 I had the dent fixed and couldn't fault the quality of the repair and the colour & finish matched perfectly, but two years in the filler has slightly sunk in now, hardly noticeable but I know the exact point of the mega dint.

uploaded a couple of photos. i have tried to catch the reflections best i could. but the camera doesn't really show it up 

IMG_20200202_100644.thumb.jpg.919feba83e27658b8a8f77b36c3c9503.jpgIMG_20200202_100516.thumb.jpg.65e47ba83213fdaebb409ac85b0f6b13.jpg

It looks very good to me. The colour match is perfect and the finish is as good as I think you'll get given it's not the original factory paintwork. If you know where it is then you'll always be able to find it yourself.

the colour match is good just the reflections don't look good to me

That looks pretty good to me also, can't tell from the pics where it is. Perhaps the water beading helps - I was always told not to look at a potential purchase in the wet. Mind you, the reverse applies when you take it in for a trade-off valuation, aim to go when it's just rained!

I can see the difference, where the reflection of the white window is ? maybe getting some 2000 grade paper and wet flat th area and repolish up, not a hard job and 2000 grade paper won't take much lacquer off.

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

I can see the difference, where the reflection of the white window is ?

yes this is the location of the repair have attached a closeup and a second one of pin holes in the lacquer what would cause these and can they be removed.

1484541758_pinwholes.thumb.jpg.18bfb93e0ec899103515f7455b28e6eb.jpgIMG_20200202_163518.thumb.jpg.b3f55a56d0c09ea2a3db740e28a222f7.jpg

• Sad 2

Okay i agree its not a good job to be fair,i wouldn't be happy with that at all.Its not the worse but i would not be happy with that repair on my car my opinion.

• Like 1

Ah! Yes, I can see it from that angle, unfortunately - especially the left hand photo.

• Thanks 1

Is the fingerprint in the lacquer ? Looks a rushed job and the painter has applied heat to get the job done quicker.

How much did you pay ?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Is the fingerprint in the lacquer ? Looks a rushed job and the painter has applied heat to get the job done quicker.

How much did you pay ?

£150 inc vat 

That's a better photo. Now I can see it properly I agree with the previous couple of comments. That's not a good repair...…...unfortunately 😥

38 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

£150 inc vat 

Was expecting you to say £65 all in!! For £150 I would expect a 1st class repair job, something this is not.

Go back and just tell them how you feel ? It'll be buggin you for ever and every time you wash the car you'll look at it.

i will get in touch with them tomorrow i went with them as they offered a lifetime warranty and said it would look "as good as new" when done which this is not.

Went in today. As the defects are below the clear coat the only option is to strip back and complete the repair again so car is going back next week.