Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is A Spare Tyre Really Necessary?

cyb

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had need to use your spare tyre?

• Yes because I had a flat tyre
    • Yes because there was no tread left on my other wheel
    • No I have never had need to use a spare
    • No never used one, carrying it around must have cost me an arm and a leg in extra fuel costs

I’m often reading threads about the spare wheel (or rather the lack of ) in the new Fiesta (+ others).

This made me think (and I may be tempting fate here) but I can’t remember the last time I had need to use a spare. I’ve had a few punctures but usually of the slow variety where I was able to put more air into the tyre and drive on to my local tyre dealer.

So whilst most think not having a spare is a bad idea when did you last have need to use yours or have you been carrying a rather heavy piece of metal and rubber around for mile after mile never to be used?

Can I suggest we stick to instances where you’ve need the spare in an emergency type situation – i.e. a flat/blow out and not because you used it as a replacement for a worn out tyre.

I have had a flat tyre on a few occasions - saying that, none of them were something that the foam couldn't have fixed. Any worse I'd just call the AA.

i think you should have it on you... i had too change it when my wheel blew out on me when it was bouncing it down so saved me having sit there for awhile... i do think not carrying it is daft, you never know what might happen without it

I have had a flat tyre on a few occasions - saying that, none of them were something that the foam couldn't have fixed. Any worse I'd just call the AA.

I was thinking about this earlier - if you have a puncture and call out the AA surely all they can do is use their own foam stuff to fix the tyre, fit your spare for you or tow/transporter your car to somewhere that can fit a new tyre.

I've never had to use a spare, but tbh the times when you need a spare are the times when you REALLY need one!

Say you've got a serious puncture out in the middle of nowhere, on a Sunday - the AA / RAC will take a good hour to reach you and if they can't patch the tyre at the side of the road you're going to get towed somewhere and then have to wait till Monday to get the tyre replaced.

Even if you have to get someone else to fit the wheel for you, at least you'll be on your way within an hour or so.

Only used a spare tyre twice in over 12 years of driving, both times when I hit a kerb when not paying attention. :angry: Wrecked tyre sidewall and dented rim badly. As for leaving the spare at home to save fuel is tempting fate.

Never had flat tyre other than that.

My pothole flat tyre incident was quite literally in the middle of nowhere. It was very reassuring that i had a spare tyre on me! Just took 15 minutes to change and i was on my way again (in between a huge amount of swearing)

One of the things i need is a spare tyre for my new alloys...hmmm...

I’m often reading threads about the spare wheel (or rather the lack of ) in the new Fiesta (+ others).

This made me think (and I may be tempting fate here) but I can’t remember the last time I had need to use a spare. I’ve had a few punctures but usually of the slow variety where I was able to put more air into the tyre and drive on to my local tyre dealer.

So whilst most think not having a spare is a bad idea when did you last have need to use yours or have you been carrying a rather heavy piece of metal and rubber around for mile after mile never to be used?

Can I suggest we stick to instances where you’ve need the spare in an emergency type situation – i.e. a flat/blow out and not because you used it as a replacement for a worn out tyre.

I've had quite a few punctures over the years - due to nails, screws etc in the tyres. When I ordered my Fiesta a spare was a no cost option so thought I might as well have it - but although my car's a Titanium with 16" alloys the spare's smaller - I think the same size as the wheels/tyres fitted to the entry level model - although I knew about this when I ordered.

Wouldn't be happy without a spare - not all punctures can be fixed by "more air then off to the tyre depot" e.g. what if I damaged a tyre in the middle of nowhere at 10:00pm? Also if I was about to go on holiday & found that I had a puncture on the morning of my departure?

For me - definitely need a spare!

Last week i swapped the space saver for a full size wheel. When i got the proper size in the boot it lifted the boot carpet way up and looked stupid. Put space saver back in, because how often do you get a flat tyre. I've had 2 flats in 6 years.

I guess spare wheels are good if u know how 2 change them, I personally haven't got a clue and if I had a puncture I'd no1 call the guys I know and no2 call the AA! But I suppose its different for guys who want 2 b manly and do their own wheel changes! :-)

I've had one need of a spare in almost 10 years and 4 cars, and guess what! When the same one went flat again, and I hadn't bent the wheel, I pumped it back up, and went and got it changed!

As for the screw, I didn't know it was there as it bunged up the hole, and they found it when balancing!

Some good replies guys but theres a lot of 'what ifs' :) I do agree with them but in over 20 years of driving I have only ever had need to change a wheel once and even then if I had some way of putting air into the tyre I would have been able to get myself home.

One thing I would suggest to those, who like me, dont have a spare is to buy a small compressor that works off your cars 12v power socket (have a look in Argos catalogue a cheap one will do)

Should you then have a flat rather than use the can of gunk you simply plug in the compressor connect it to the valve and let it blow some air back into the tyre. That way you may find you can still get the puncture repaired.

Changing a wheel should be part of the driving test. I'm horrified that some people can't do the most simplest of tasks.

• Like 2

My Mums had to change one as while she went to the supermarket her tyre went flat. I had to use one as I skidded in snow/ice in december and buckled a wheel and lower steering arm(10mph but about 8mph too much =|) I didnt change it then, it had to be recovered but while looking for a new alloy i had to use the spare.

I guess spare wheels are good if u know how 2 change them, I personally haven't got a clue and if I had a puncture I'd no1 call the guys I know and no2 call the AA! But I suppose its different for guys who want 2 b manly and do their own wheel changes! :-)

biggrin.gif

you can practice changing all our wheels on the next meet smile.gif

Fezza came with the tyre inflation kit and was quickly changed for the spare wheel for ease of use and piece of mind .

Does the spare wheel really cost that much to carry, how many time's a year do you use the air con apart from real use in the summer but you are paying to carry the compressor around or the heavy airbag's when you may never need them

wheel changes are easy... if you get showed how too do it once, you can do it over and over again i been doing most my mates and its done in like 5 mins now like a f1 team mee ;)

biggrin.gif

you can practice changing all our wheels on the next meet smile.gif

LOL! I probably couldnt even lift a tyre/wheel never mind change one! ;)

Changing a wheel should be part of the driving test. I'm horrified that some people can't do the most simplest of tasks.

Totally agree

Dave

Chose the option of the spare wheel mainly because I do shiftwork and nothing worse than being stranded at stupid o'clock waiting over an hour for recovery and then being late for work. Carry a spare, you are up and running in 15 minutes.

As KeithC says, changing a wheel should be part of the driving test.

I actually agree with the test.

Instead they spend 5 mins asking if you can read a number plate :huh:

This could be a slight dig at me, as I said I'd take it out! And I have, I also got a jack off eBay, and that had the fixing pin, but the wheel didn't, so bounced around summat wicked. When I got my new alloys, I at first put 5 in the basket, then saw the price, but I'll measure up the size of them, and measure the hole, see if a full wheel would fit!

I actually agree with the test.

Instead they spend 5 mins asking if you can read a number plate :huh:

So you would rather someone know how to change a wheel than have their eye sight checked? :o

Now that would be scary, there are enough blind drivers out there now :) :)