Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Puma Owners Manual shortcomings

RMB

I picked up my Puma ST Line X First Edition EcoBoost Hybrid 125PS mHEV Petrol on Saturday.

I is packed with great driver assistance features etc which need some reading up and trying out to get familiar with.  I have found the owner's manual lacking in clear photos of the switches and certain controls.  This makes the learning curve overly steep!!

So I took photos of the switches etc as a reference set.  Very useful.  I attach the photos here to help others familiarise themselves with their new Pumas.  The photos are not annotated.  I hope the pictures are clear.  If not, I will convert the photos into jpg or similar format for this forum.

Puma controls.pdf

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

Same as Focus 4

Yes, I mentioned in my "New Puma Test drive" thread that the interior would largely be familiar to Mk 4 Focus or Mk 8 Fiesta owners, other than the digital instruments. But different to earlier versions though, so interesting to owners of earlier models who may be considering a Puma for Richard to post the pics, I think.

I have found several contradictions/omissions in both the hard copy and online versions of the Mk 8 Fiesta manual and ended up asking other owners on here, so it looks as if the Puma may be the same story from what Richard has found, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Aye, looks like my Focus Mk4 apart from the active cruise button.

• Like 1

I’m still getting to grips with the intricacies of programming the digital features.  It’s all quite straightforward A bit like setting up a smartphone or a computer. I attach a file which covers the basics of choosing information screens for the dashboard.  

the chosen screen is the Hybrid gauge.  A green arc appears to the left of the gauge when charging.  A blue arc appears to the right when running on electric power.  Well that is my assumption. The manual says nothing!   

The entertainment and navigation screen. “Infotainment “ is another matter.

Puma dash 01.pdf

As an aside,  our Fiesta Titanium X EcoBoost, with an extremely low mileage, will shortly be for sale at Bristol Street Motors Bromley.  It’s a great motor. Of course I would say that!

29 minutes ago, RMB said:

A green arc appears to the left of the gauge when charging.  A blue arc appears to the right when running on electric power.  Well that is my assumption. The manual says nothing!   

That's about right as I understand it. Being only a (very) mild hybrid the Puma never runs on electric power, the blue zone shows that the electric motor is giving assistance to the petrol engine, the green zone shows the battery being charged. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's about right as I understand it. Being only a (very) mild hybrid the Puma never runs on electric power, the blue zone shows that the electric motor is giving assistance to the petrol engine, the green zone shows the battery being charged. 

Yes that’s right.  The electric motor assists the petrol engine during acceleration 

Here are some more jottings. I hope they are useful.

BTW I find the gear change a bit notchy at present. Perhaps that will improve as the car wears in.

My first impressions after the Fiesta were. “The Puma is a bit like a tank.”Puma Dash 02.pdf It’s higher and more chunky than the Fiesta.

Puma Dash 02.pdf

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RMB said:

BTW I find the gear change a bit notchy at present. Perhaps that will improve as the car wears in.

My first impressions after the Fiesta were. “The Puma is a bit like a tank.”Puma Dash 02.pdf It’s higher and more chunky than the Fiesta.

The gear shift on the car I drove was the same. I thought the Puma felt very different when I first jumped in, but it seemed fairly normal by the time I returned to the dealers. Then my Fiesta felt strangely light to drive when I drove home! You do adapt fairly quickly, but I thought the point of the Puma was that it is a bit higher and chunkier than a Fiesta.

Just a suggestion btw - when I got my Fiesta (which was one of the first Mk 8 ST-L X on here) I opened a seperate "First Impressions" thread. Might be helpful if you could do likewise, then other new/potential Puma owners could find it easily?😀 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just a suggestion btw - when I got my Fiesta (which was one of the first Mk 8 ST-L X on here) I opened a seperate "First Impressions" thread. Might be helpful if you could do likewise, then other new/potential Puma owners could find it easily?😀 

Thanks. I will do that.

20 minutes later - thread created.  The 3 pdf files in this thread are included there

• 4 months later...

Just picked up my lovely new Puma on Thursday, took a look at the handbook last night and ended up with brain fade!! Couldn't even work out how you ae meant to close the boot!

25 minutes ago, LizP said:

Couldn't even work out how you ae meant to close the boot!

Assuming it's a manual tailgate, there will be the normal recess inside the tailgate to assist with partially closing, then you have to get your hand out without breaking your wrist as the tailgate comes down and finish the job by pushing the outside of the tailgate down if it hasn't fully closed/latched.

My first Ford (1966 Mk 1 Cortina) was not too dissimilar. Progress, eh?😀

• Like 1

Eventually worked it out myself, and can plainly see the 2 recesses either side, and yes you need to have your wits about you if you don't want to break an arm.

Sadly when i went to collect the Puma last Thursday morning it was lashing it down and the car was out in the open, so what with the rain and social distancing I didn't get to ask the usual questions like how to open the boot and bonnet etc.About the only thing I was told was how to operate windscreen wipers. Don't get me wrong it was no one's fault and the dealers have been very helpful, it was just everything conspiring against me that morning!

• Like 1

Does it have the recess at the very bottom like the Mk2 Focus did?  Or right inside the hatch so you have to curl your arm inside and do a weird dance to get your arm out at the same time as pulling it quickly enough to close all the way instead of stopping 12" early?  That's about the most un-ergonomic thing about my current car, much preferred the Focus grips!! 

Doubt my neighbours are overly keen on the speed it needs to pulled either but I don't want to have to finish it off by touching the dirty paintwork! :laugh: 

I'm surprised the tailgate bulbs take the abuse as well lol.

Option 2 is the one, inside the hatch, pull down and extract hands/arms while maintaining enough speed to actually close the boot! Great fun.

• 11 months later...

Picked up my Puma Titanium mild hybrid a week ago and ever since had all sorts of warning lights come when driving, only found out it was a loose connection when I finally had a chance to get it back to the Dealership today. Now I find I have a Blue arc when accelerating and, Green arc when I take my foot of the pedal. Not sure if the Blue is my battery charging normally or what. You would think in this day and age Ford would be able to produce an Owners Manual that would explain in more detail all that a new owner would need to know.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club