Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First service question for my ST-Line

Cybrid3

Hi guys, after a bit of info regarding the first service for the car. The car is on PCP and the first service is approaching for 2 years. Mileage is 15000. At around 13000 miles I had the change oil  message. I changed the oil with what ford recommend and I used a genuine oil filter. I had this done at my local garage and have the receipts for the genuine parts and they stamped the book to say the oil had been changed. 

I am now due my first service and the prices I am being quoted seem a little steep. Do I have to get it serviced again seeing as the oil has already been done 2000 miles ago. What else will be involved in first service? Air filter, cabin filter? That's probably it? I don't want to spend over £200 just to have those 2 items done.

Can someone advise if I can do them myself using genuine parts, or do I have to take it to my local garage to get stamped, or does it have to be a ford dealer?

Any advise greatly appreciated

I would have had the first service when the change oil light came up - benefit of having service done by a Ford dealer during the warrenty period is if your engine seizes up having a non Ford dealer change the oil gives them a reason to refuse to pay for a new one.

Services unless a brand new car with warrenty and service included, are a rip off my opinion.Its easy to service your own car with oem parts if you wish , i keep all reciepts and write down when i carried it out.Ive never had a problem selling a car due to non garage servicing .I also service my car once a year irrelivant of milage for what parts cost for one days work .But at the end of the day its your choice...But check if your PCP says/states it has to be serviced at the given schedules by a dealer etc etc .........   ..... ..... if not do it yourself.

I've never had a PCP but understand that some make a "full manufacturer service history" a condition of the GMFV?

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Cybrid3 said:

Hi guys, after a bit of info regarding the first service for the car. The car is on PCP and the first service is approaching for 2 years. Mileage is 15000. At around 13000 miles I had the change oil  message. I changed the oil with what ford recommend and I used a genuine oil filter. I had this done at my local garage and have the receipts for the genuine parts and they stamped the book to say the oil had been changed. 

I am now due my first service and the prices I am being quoted seem a little steep. Do I have to get it serviced again seeing as the oil has already been done 2000 miles ago. What else will be involved in first service? Air filter, cabin filter? That's probably it? I don't want to spend over £200 just to have those 2 items done.

Can someone advise if I can do them myself using genuine parts, or do I have to take it to my local garage to get stamped, or does it have to be a ford dealer?

Any advise greatly appreciated

As you had the oil changed with receipts of genuine parts, ask Ford for the inspection service.  That should ensure the car has a Ford stamp in the book and as a bonus, should include a years breakdown cover.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've never had a PCP but understand that some make a "full manufacturer service history" a condition of the GMFV?

Exactly right Roger.  I bought my A3 on PCP and whilst they wouldn't have been able to void the warranty if I followed the 'rules' the VWF agreement stated if I had it serviced outside of Audi then the GMFV may be reduced.

This is irrelevant if you intend to keep the car or sell it privately (I sold mine after 18 months to WBAC for £1100 more than Audi offered me). and you ignore the fact some feel a dealer service history is more valuable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. Still a mixed bag. I wouldn't care so much if it were an average price but £225 for a service is just silly I think. I don't intend keeping the car so the gmfv is something I do need to take into consideration 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cybrid3 said:

Thanks for the info guys. Still a mixed bag. I wouldn't care so much if it were an average price but £225 for a service is just silly I think. I don't intend keeping the car so the gmfv is something I do need to take into consideration 

But you are getting free breakdown / recovery included for that so not so bad in my mind and if you have anything wrong out of warranty then Ford are more likely to contribute to the costs of repair.

And you should get a courtesy car for the day.

7 hours ago, Cybrid3 said:

True, but if you have a gas boiler serviced that costs £100 and a gas boiler is £1000 so £225 for a £15000 car is not so bad
.... and don't get me started on roofers £300 just to put a ladder against the wall!

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

£225 for a £15000 car is not so bad

At the current prices the ST-L range is more like £19k to £22k. I think VW are now asking about £350 for a 24,000 mile service!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club