Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Respraying

Jez

Hi all,

So, a mere few weeks after I bought my shiny new red Fiesta, it seems some... individual... has scraped it (no idea when, I only just noticed it). I wiped off all the paint from the other car, but unfortunately some of my paint has been taken off. There doesn't seem to be much of a dent, so hopefully a respray will be sufficient.

Any tips you guys have as to how I should go about this? I want it to be relatively cheap, ideally doing it myself. Presumably I need to get a can of spray paint? How do I make sure I get exactly the right colour? Will the new paint I buy be as waterproof as the paint originally on the car? Here's a link to a piccie I took of the damaged bit just now. It's on the back of the car, passenger's side:

http://www.game-point.net/misc/cardamage.jpg

http://www.ford-shop.com/acatalog/Ford_Fiesta_MK7_Maintenance_Service.html

at the bottom of that is some touch up kits from ford.. i aint used them but looked at them cos i have a lil scratch on the back i need get rid of

Hmm... would you recommend going for the 'Ford Touch Up Paint - Aerosol Can', or the 'Ford Touch Up Pen Kit'? The aerosol can sounds... better.

god knows... i would think the spray paint looking at your picture as it dont appear to be a little chip

I don't mean to offend, but from your post you sound like you don't have much, or any experience of this sort of repair (correct me if I'm wrong).

Given the amount of prep work that would be required and the skill needed to achieve anything close to the original finish, I think you would be in great danger of making it worse by trying to re-spray it yourself.

If you just want to cover the marks and make it all the same colour - try touch up paint, but you will definately be able to see the repair if you stand next to the car.

You could also pay someone to touch it up (search for chip and scratch repairers on the internet) but again, this won't be perfect and will cost a minimum of £100 - £200 I would guess.

If you want it to look like new - you're probably going to have to pay someone to do it professionally and they will quite likely need to sand back that corner of the bumper and then re-spray most or all of that panel to get the colour to match and be even.

Hmm.

Why is it so difficult to touch up paintwork on a car? It isn't for walls of a house. :-) Do they make it a !Removed! to do on purpose?

I recommend 'chips away' they did a great job on a scrape I had on the side of mine, can't tell where the damage was. The colour match was perfect and I have a new colour that he'd never had 2 use before.

Hmm.

Why is it so difficult to touch up paintwork on a car? It isn't for walls of a house. :-) Do they make it a !Removed! to do on purpose?

If you chipped a lump out of the paint on the walls in your house and just painted over it, you'd see the chip or atleast see an imperfection. To do a propper job of it you'd need to sand it back and/or filler the 'hole' in the paint layer and then apply fresh paint over a larger area to blend the new paint into the old.

Now thats for paint which is generally matt, applied with a roller (which leaves a rough finish) and is also applied to pourous surfaces.

The paint on a car is applied to a perfectly smooth (relatively speaking) surface and has a very glossy finish which reflects most of the light which hits it - any imperfections will be highly visible unless its done propery.

I recommend 'chips away' they did a great job on a scrape I had on the side of mine, can't tell where the damage was. The colour match was perfect and I have a new colour that he'd never had 2 use before.

i wouldnt recommend them at all they did a repair on my focus and 2 months later the paint fell off the garage i bought it from arrangeed it through chips away so the garage sent me to a bodyshop where the guy was less than impressed with there work in the the car hadnt been prepped or sanded properly and though it looked a good repair when it was first done it wasnt at all hence why the paint fell off it took the bodyshop 2 days to fix the mess they made and the whole arch had to be sprayed which was far costlier than the original work and as usual the chips away guy wasnt available they are not pros they simply buy into the company get basic training and are let loose if you want it done get it done by a proper company.

lets hope the guy that did youres was better than mine cos the minute the frost gets at it and bad weather you may find it just flakes away

Please don't do it yourself.

I made that mistake a few months ago, now i have taken all the paint off again and i'm going to get it done professionally.

It looked awful done with spray cans.

i wouldnt recommend them at all they did a repair on my focus and 2 months later the paint fell off the garage i bought it from arrangeed it through chips away so the garage sent me to a bodyshop where the guy was less than impressed with there work in the the car hadnt been prepped or sanded properly and though it looked a good repair when it was first done it wasnt at all hence why the paint fell off it took the bodyshop 2 days to fix the mess they made and the whole arch had to be sprayed which was far costlier than the original work and as usual the chips away guy wasnt available they are not pros they simply buy into the company get basic training and are let loose if you want it done get it done by a proper company.

lets hope the guy that did youres was better than mine cos the minute the frost gets at it and bad weather you may find it just flakes away

Oooh I hope so 2! Lol! I used them about 2 weeks after I had my new car(ooops!) in June last year so its survived the winter so far! Guess they have different levels of ability between their workers, the 1 that did mine did a good job, even my brother who usually criticises everthing was impressed! And he had his BMW z5 done by them 2. Wasn't very nice 2 watch though cos they strip a big area 2 make sure it matches. Guess it depends on who actually does it though about whether it lasts and looks good.

If you chipped a lump out of the paint on the walls in your house and just painted over it, you'd see the chip or atleast see an imperfection. To do a propper job of it you'd need to sand it back and/or filler the 'hole' in the paint layer and then apply fresh paint over a larger area to blend the new paint into the old.

Now thats for paint which is generally matt, applied with a roller (which leaves a rough finish) and is also applied to pourous surfaces.

The paint on a car is applied to a perfectly smooth (relatively speaking) surface and has a very glossy finish which reflects most of the light which hits it - any imperfections will be highly visible unless its done propery.

Yeah, well, it sucks. But at the end of the day I don't have £100s to spend on it professionally, so it's either leave it with an ugly scrape or an ugly sprayover. Which is less bad?

Yeah, well, it sucks. But at the end of the day I don't have £100s to spend on it professionally, so it's either leave it with an ugly scrape or an ugly sprayover. Which is less bad?

Personally I think a bad repair job will look worse than a light to medium scrape.

Lots of cars have marks on, and unless you look for them they don't stand out. Dodgy spray painting does stand out.

If you're really after a budget quick fix - As you've only got localised scratches and a non-metalic colour, you might just get away with careful application of a touch-up pen, it'll cost you about £10 and will take some patience, but it might do what your looking for without being too obvious that its been repaired. If you choose to go down that route, some of the members on the forum will be able to provide advice on the best way to use the touch-ups.

i had a bump took out of mine and the whole panel re-painted for 350 quid and you cant tell so a lil scratch done pro shudnt cost an arm and a leg...

Personally I think a bad repair job will look worse than a light to medium scrape.

Lots of cars have marks on, and unless you look for them they don't stand out. Dodgy spray painting does stand out.

If you're really after a budget quick fix - As you've only got localised scratches and a non-metalic colour, you might just get away with careful application of a touch-up pen, it'll cost you about £10 and will take some patience, but it might do what your looking for without being too obvious that its been repaired. If you choose to go down that route, some of the members on the forum will be able to provide advice on the best way to use the touch-ups.

I think I would like to have a go at that. I could always do a small bit and see how it looked. :) Where do I post to find people who can advise me, then, and can you recommend a good online store I can buy the stuff from?

i had a bump took out of mine and the whole panel re-painted for 350 quid and you cant tell so a lil scratch done pro shudnt cost an arm and a leg...

Betcha it's over £100. Too much.

By the way, I'm surprised this isn't a more common problem. I dunno when this happened, but it seems to happen all the time... you're parked, some idiot tries to get in too quickly and scrapes you as they're going past... this is a common occurance. Is for me, anyway. Heh.

I think I would like to have a go at that. I could always do a small bit and see how it looked. :) Where do I post to find people who can advise me, then, and can you recommend a good online store I can buy the stuff from?

Search the formum for 'touch up' 'scratch' 'chip' etc and you'll find various discussions on the subject.

As for the best place to buy the touch-up, tbh its going to cost roughly £10 where ever you go, so either get it from some form of Ford dealer (online or local to you) or if you're certain of the paint colour/code you could probably get it from Halfords (or other highstreet retailers) or even eBay.

Search the formum for 'touch up' 'scratch' 'chip' etc and you'll find various discussions on the subject.

As for the best place to buy the touch-up, tbh its going to cost roughly £10 where ever you go, so either get it from some form of Ford dealer (online or local to you) or if you're certain of the paint colour/code you could probably get it from Halfords (or other highstreet retailers) or even ebay.

Does this touch up pen kit look OK?

https://www.allenparts.com/ford/acatalog/Ford_Focus_MK1_Touch_up_paint.html#a603

Betcha it's over £100. Too much.

By the way, I'm surprised this isn't a more common problem. I dunno when this happened, but it seems to happen all the time... you're parked, some idiot tries to get in too quickly and scrapes you as they're going past... this is a common occurance. Is for me, anyway. Heh.

worst you could do is ask? well if its a free quote and all that.. i got a few lil scratches on mine i need get rid hate when i clean my car they stand out

You can't just touch that up. The touch up pens are for touching up paint chips and nothing more really.

You can't just touch that up. The touch up pens are for touching up paint chips and nothing more really.

So you reckon the one and only solution is to pay over £100 to get it done professionally, eh? God knows how you guys afford these car things. :rolleyes:

So you reckon the one and only solution is to pay over £100 to get it done professionally, eh? God knows how you guys afford these car things. :rolleyes:

Can u claim these type of things on your insurance? Not something i'd do personally but if that's the only way you can afford to get it done professionally? Just cos I dont think it would be wise to start painting a brand new car yourself unless you really know what your doing.

:unsure:

i used the pen on my pug and it looked realy bad. and i mean it didnt even blend in with the rest of the car due to shaky hands etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club