Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seeking Advice On Mk4

kingfisher1967

I currently own a Mk3 Titanium with the powershit, sorry shift gearbox and I'm looking to upgrade to the Mk4.

I have my heart set on a ST-Line X because, to me, its better looking than the Titanium, sporty with all the toys, but I'm unsure whether to go for the 1.0L or the 1.5L engine with, so I hear, a vastly improve auto box.

Do any members own either of theses or have thoughts on which to go for?

I mainly drive around town with the odd visit from Brighton to Bristol 3 or 4 times a year

I've ordered an ST line X 182 auto with many options  - due in March. Went for the 1.5L because I always feel a more powerful car will help make longer journeys more relaxing and I'm not bothered about the extra fuel cost as I only do low mileage over a year.

I guess it's down to your finances and maybe environmental concerns. I've read good things on these forums about this engine and gearbox combination. YouTube has some good vids too.

I've heard the 1.0 auto wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, go for the 1.5

43 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I've heard the 1.0 auto wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, go for the 1.5

I own a 1.0 Ecoboost Vignale Hatch and apart from all the usual problems I have had with the Software Bugs that the Mk 4 Focus suffers from it is a lovely car to drive.

I have over the years driven all sorts of cars from 1.2 ltr Renaults that wouldn't pull the skin of a Rice Pud to V8 Jags and 3ltr BMWs and I can tell you that the 1.0 Ecoboost is not slow by any means so my advice would be go and test drive one and see for yourself.

But be prepared to make regular visits to the Dealership if like mine you get one with Software issues I have not spoken to anyone yet in my area who owns a Mk4 who have not had some sort of Software issue.

Edited by Midgeman
Additional info
  • Like 1

I test drove a Focus mk4 1.0 125 manual.  While it wasn't fast it was willing and didn't feel like it was struggling.  Auto I don't know of.

My 1.5 182 auto is smooth, quick on the go but thirsty round town.

Oh by the way I agree the ST Line X is probably the best looking of them all I originally ordered 1.5 182 manual in May last year but after the original delivery date went from Sep to maybe sometime in December I cancelled the order and went for the Vignale which was in stock at my local dealer.

5 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I test drove a Focus mk4 1.0 125 manual.  While it wasn't fast it was willing and didn't feel like it was struggling.  Auto I don't know of.

My 1.5 182 auto is smooth, quick on the go but thirsty round town.

Mine is 1.0 125 Manual.

What do you call thirsty high 20s / low 30s ?

14 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

I currently own a Mk3 Titanium with the powershit, sorry shift gearbox and I'm looking to upgrade to the Mk4.

I have my heart set on a ST-Line X because, to me, its better looking than the Titanium, sporty with all the toys, but I'm unsure whether to go for the 1.0L or the 1.5L engine with, so I hear, a vastly improve auto box.

Do any members own either of theses or have thoughts on which to go for?

I mainly drive around town with the odd visit from Brighton to Bristol 3 or 4 times a year

Keep your current car until Ford have fixed all the software bugs in the new model. Unless you enjoy being a beta tester. Lol. Once it’s sorted you will have an amazing car. Mine is diesel and manual and it goes like a dream. So can’t comment on petrol or auto. If you go ahead, be prepared to be without your car fir several days as the dealer updates your car. (As a previous poster has commented.)

15 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

have my heart set on a ST-Line X because, to me, its better looking than the Titanium, sporty with all the toys, but I'm unsure whether to go for the 1.0L or the 1.5L engine

I have a st line x 182 auto desert island blue. If you can live with 28mpg I’d recommend it. Although on the motorway it’s mpg is much better. If I couldn’t have got the X I wouldn’t have bought the st line standard, also if I couldn’t have got the 182 engine I wouldn’t have bought the 1 L . The 1 litre has good reviews tho and 125 bhp is probably enough for most people. 

I'm getting 29.9 mpg right now.  As Alex says though, cruising mpg is much better.

5 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I'm getting 29.9 mpg right now.  As Alex says though, cruising mpg is much better.

I only get around 32mpg local and around 43mpg on a longer journey that is when the car is actually in my possession and not siting in the local Ford dealership

1.0 Ecoboost manual.

Wow, thank you all for your replies, 1.5L it is then.

My finances wont stretch to a brand new one but I've got my eye on a couple of newish models (fingers crossed desert island blue) that are on my wish list.

The powershift box is fine for local journeys but on my Bristol bound trips it gets a little jumpy when starting off in 1st gear, I think its time for a replacement ( FYI, this will be my 4th Focus)

5 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

That's what I get on my 1.6 nas jobbie.

4 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

fingers crossed desert island blue) 

£750 I paid for the desert island blue.  Nice colour.. I prefer it to even the performance blue on the ST. 

£750 I paid for the desert island blue.  Nice colour.. I prefer it to even the performance blue on the ST. 
Blasphemy [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

1.5L it is then.

I think that’s the right choice, I assumed the 1L would get a lot better mpg but at 32mpg and the 1.5L at 29mpg there’s not much in it. Cheaper insurance and tax would be the advantage. 

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I think that’s the right choice, I assumed the 1L would get a lot better mpg but at 32mpg and the 1.5L at 29mpg there’s not much in it. Cheaper insurance and tax would be the advantage. 

Interesting..I have the 1.0 & am getting 52 mpg on regular 30 mile runs, the worst on short journeys, around 46 mpg (averaged over so far 700 miles since December).

49 minutes ago, CallMeSteven said:

Interesting..I have the 1.0 & am getting 52 mpg on regular 30 mile runs, the worst on short journeys, around 46 mpg (averaged over so far 700 miles since December).

That’s what I thought  the 1L would do. 125bhp I’d imagine would be pretty good too. It’s incredible what a 1L engine can do these days.

• Like 1

Agreed. The only issue I have is that the engine does sound like it's labouring in the lower gears. Could be the fact it's a three cylinder, it's in Eco Mode (which I use for longer journeys) or they slowed the engine down to get the emissions to 107 mg. Not sure but I'm getting used to it's quirks 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallMeSteven said:

Agreed. The only issue I have is that the engine does sound like it's labouring in the lower gears. Could be the fact it's a three cylinder, it's in Eco Mode (which I use for longer journeys) or they slowed the engine down to get the emissions to 107 mg. Not sure but I'm getting used to it's quirks 😃

I feel like mine doesn't have enough grunt low down in the gears, I'm forever changing gear I feel like to get the most out of the engine. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My new 'baby'

1.5L automatic, Titanium X with the convenience pack, its a really nice car to drive.

I know my original wish was for the ST-line X but there were none in my area and the styling of the titanium isn't half bad when seen in real life.

Here's to many happy years of motoring.

Car Side View.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I am also very happy driving my Titanium X 1.5 auto. 😁
I went for black which looks nice if kept clean. !!
The extras I paid for were the convenience pack as it includes the rear camera, BLIS which includes cross traffic and the Heated Steering Wheel option.

16 minutes ago, PLB said:

BLIS which includes cross traffic

BLIS tells u if someone’s in your blind spot. What’s the cross traffic ? 

1 hour ago, kingfisher1967 said:

My new 'baby'

1.5L automatic, Titanium X with the convenience pack, its a really nice car to drive.

I know my original wish was for the ST-line X but there were none in my area and the styling of the titanium isn't half bad when seen in real life.

Here's to many happy years of motoring.

Car Side View.jpg

Nice looking car. The fog/cornering lights are different from the stx ? 

52 minutes ago, PLB said:

Yes, I am also very happy driving my Titanium X 1.5 auto. 😁
I went for black which looks nice if kept clean. !!
The extras I paid for were the convenience pack as it includes the rear camera, BLIS which includes cross traffic and the Heated Steering Wheel option.

So hard to keep the dust off the black it makes me so mad 😂 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club