Sign in to follow this  
mokes

Correct PAS fluid? YAWN....

Trawled the net and just got more confused, but all I want to do is replace the fluid as it's gone a bit brown and smells burnt.

I have a Ford Focus mk2.5 1.6 auto. Handbook says use wss-m2c204-a2. Other sources say wsa-m2c-195a.

Ford dealer says its green, the net says red as the green is for the later models and is a common mistake that Ford know about. The fluid in there now is brown if anything.

My local autobox chap says 'here you go, we use this'. He hands me a 1l bottle of Castrol Dextron 111 tranny fluid ( which mentions Ford Mercon on the label).

Do I use it or what? 

It's full hydraulic on the 1.6 (as opposed to electro-hydraulic on everything else in MK2.5) so I would assume it's still the red stuff, same as auto trans fluid.

Green was for the EHPAS which is why you'll get conflicting answers...

Ok thats good. With all these various specs. and colours it's hard to know what to do. Even Ford dont seem to know.

Then of course, theres MerconV and then theres other Mercons....which dont mix I'm told.

If you really want some confusion, the power steering reservoir on my old 1.6 was green so assume was filled with the green stuff (but mine was just a MK2 so maybe it changed for the facelift?).

Lots of conflicting information....I'll stick with what I've got and any issues  I'll be right back to the chap that sold me it.

IIRC  my C class used Dextron for power steering.

I know that doesn't help 😁 I just meant they could be right for Ford as well.

Too much confusion for something that does a simple job.

I'm sure the stuff I got will be fine. Whatever is in there now certainly isnt green, so at least the colour will be right. Not actually opened the bottle though so could be any colour in there!

Anyone got any advice about removing the stuff in the system at the moment? I was planning on emptying the reservoir using a suction pump and replace with the new stuff as I'm not sure how to do a full change. Not quite correct I know.

having contemplated about things since I posted the one above, if I remember the experts view here is the focus mk2 is always green and indeed the handbook says green,

it was NOT a misprint just a few legacy duffers who were never in the loop.... (and I count myself here as 4 years ago I never knew the word moved on 20 YEARS ago)

the only fly is that one factory making the mk2 was lazy and moved the new standard later than they were supposed too and thus filled some early cars with the wrong red stuff - which will be black grey filth now, so anything would be better.  On 30 year old car's that had PAS just about any red auto fluid will do....  

the law changed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_Life_Vehicles_Directive for environmental reasons and all car manu became responsible for the rubbish at end of life... hence small reservoirs and the need for longer life fluids

Mercedes use straw coloured stuff that the same spec at the green ford fluid.  

7 hours ago, mokes said:

!

Anyone got any advice about removing the stuff in the system at the moment? I was planning on emptying the reservoir using a suction pump and replace with the new stuff as I'm not sure how to do a full change. Not quite correct I know.

done it loads of times when I wrongly put red in (when sold the WRONG stuff by ford !!!)  when I changed the PAS pipes due to fracture issue.  Note same guy later sold me green for the same car a few months on !!!

suction out all you can from the reservoir (wipe the black gunk from the inside of the reservoir with clean lint free cloth), fill past upper level with green, start the car wind lock to lock and wiggle a bid repeat do that 3 times it will be flushed out completely and full of fresh clean green.  ideally you need 1.1 to 1.2 litres to do it...   if you try with 1 litre only you'll be about 92% fresh

if you use red in a mk2 it will be black inside 10k miles, the green stays green for 7 years / 50k miles, as indeed it was supposed to (copes with high temps and abuse better without breaking down) and it gets hot coz the quantity is tiny and there's no cooler as that adds more cost and more quantity which they were trying to reduce...

So your 100% sure its green then? Assuming the stuff in there now is original, would it be so bad to use red  apart from the longevity?  Do they mix?I'm also concerned about reports of the green stuff making the steering noticeably harder, it'not the lightest even now.

I see you have 'been there ' so to speak.

My findings :

,Ford say green ( maybe red)

Local garage says red.

I'd like to use the right stuff but really dont want heavier steering ( why does it?)

Maybe the fluid on my 20k miler is brown( dirty?)  due to the reasons you give above? ie wrong red stuff was used.

Who knew that changing PAS fluid would be such a dilemma?

yes red is half as good, meaning things will wear more as the lack of heat stability means it deteriorates quickly.... the grey colour is the metal mixed in as it falls to bits with the (now black) burnt red 

the handbook is right - ill-informed garages think its red

I'm changing the belts soon as tgey screech and squeal a lot, almost metallic sounding, especially on full lock. Reading what youre saying, I wondered if the noise was maybe  not the belts but the pump.

Kept it on full lock and trickled some water on the belts...all quiet. I will be checking the water pump when I do the belts though.

Just got to get some green stuff now, but not looking forward to stiff steering.