Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre collision alert false alarms

David230757

Even after I turned the sensitivity right down I still had disconcerting red flashing pre-collision alerts a couple of times on the motorway when I could see nothing wrong, And several times when I was going down my drive and not in danger of hitting anything. But also there's also a multistory car park that makes it go off like crazy so I took a video which the dealer sent on to Ford. They've now replaced the front camera under warranty and checked everything is calibrated properly but I'm still getting the same problem.

Is this normal behaviour? I found a reference to the alert being triggered by street furniture. I think it's a dangerous distraction if it happens on the motorway for no good reason. Thanks, David

Hi David.  I've never had exactly the same situation as yours but I get false alerts occasionally.  Sometimes when there is a slip road from a motorway or when a car is turning in front of me and I can judge the distance / speed much more effectively than the system can.

I'm afraid, for me, its just another Ford technological 'feature' on the new Fiesta that doesn't quite work 🤨.

Thankfully I've not had it apply the brakes in error yet.

I test drove a new Puma the other week (seperate thread) and this thing was going off every time I passed a parked car! Thankfully I don't have it on my car - I think it came as part of an optional pack. Can it not be turned off?

40 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Hi David.  I've never had exactly the same situation as yours but I get false alerts occasionally.  Sometimes when there is a slip road from a motorway or when a car is turning in front of me and I can judge the distance / speed much more effectively than the system can.

I'm afraid, for me, its just another Ford technological 'feature' on the new Fiesta that doesn't quite work 🤨.

Thankfully I've not had it apply the brakes in error yet.

I’ve had it happen 3 times since owning mine in December, didn’t know it could apply the breaks as well, I guess it could depend on what sensor is activated?

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I test drove a new Puma the other week (seperate thread) and this thing was going off every time I passed a parked car! Thankfully I don't have it on my car - I think it came as part of an optional pack. Can it not be turned off?

Yeah it was part of some pack the previous owner had spec'd - never would have done it myself.  It can't be completely turned off.

3 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I’ve had it happen 3 times since owning mine in December, didn’t know it could apply the breaks as well, I guess it could depend on what sensor is activated?

You can adjust the levels of intervention and sensitivity - such as setting it to only alert but not apply brakes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I get that looked at, you could be doing 50mph and then it activates and applies the brakes ,dangerous me thinks.Anti collision more like cause one thank god i dont have that ....

The worrying thing is that autonomous emergency braking, like speed limiters, is part of the next package of compulsory safety kit from 2022. Need to buy a new car before then! Tbh the way this stuff is going I'd rather use the bus!

• Like 1

You're probably too late as its already being fitted on loads of new models including Fords eg Focus4.

3 hours ago, tef89 said:

Yeah it was part of some pack the previous owner had spec'd - never would have done it myself.  It can't be completely turned off.

You can adjust the levels of intervention and sensitivity - such as setting it to only alert but not apply brakes.

Will have to look see what it’s set on, is it on all fiesta models?

1 hour ago, mitch84 said:

Will have to look see what it’s set on, is it on all fiesta models?

Only on the ones that have the particular pack that includes it.

Mine has a few on it so I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the 'Driver Assistance Pack' on my 67 plate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

You're probably too late as its already being fitted on loads of new models including Fords eg Focus4.

Yes, you're right - Puma has it also as I mentioned above. I guess manufacturers will now be fitting this stuff to any new model introduced before 2022, rather than start fitting it mid-production at the last minute.

If you can't turn it off, I'd hope you can at least turn the sensitivity right down - although from David's OP that doesn't seem too successful. I didn't mess about with the settings in the Puma as I was trying to maximise my driving time, but it was ridiculous. Fortunately it was not set to activate brakes, or I'd have been explaining to the dealer how their demo car got rear ended by the twit who was about an inch from the rear bumper. I can see people panic braking even from the alert going off in their face, with the same result, so this is not my idea of a safety feature.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, you're right - Puma has it also as I mentioned above. I guess manufacturers will now be fitting this stuff to any new model introduced before 2022, rather than start fitting it mid-production at the last minute.

If you can't turn it off, I'd hope you can at least turn the sensitivity right down - although from David's OP that doesn't seem too successful. I didn't mess about with the settings in the Puma as I was trying to maximise my driving time, but it was ridiculous. Fortunately it was not set to activate brakes, or I'd have been explaining to the dealer how their demo car got rear ended by the twit who was about an inch from the rear bumper. I can see people panic braking even from the alert going off in their face, with the same result, so this is not my idea of a safety feature.

I'd really like the feature, if it worked without false positives.  Hopefully the technology will mature as it becomes mainstream.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Hopefully the technology will mature as it becomes mainstream.

I suppose there's no chance of it being dropped with the current direction of legislation, so let's hope so. From what I've seen so far I'll need a lot of convincing to get into a fully autonomous road vehicle!😀

• Like 1

The pre collision assist should only very occasionally give a false reading especially when sensitivity set on minimum. If it does its likely you have fault or that any cameras / radar detectors need re calibration. 

Intelligent speed limiter I find is actually a great addition that can be overridden or turned off however it does rely on correct positioning of road signs and up to date GPS  data.

39 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Intelligent speed limiter I find is actually a great addition that can be overridden or turned off however it does rely on correct positioning of road signs and up to date GPS  data.

It's the same story with the TSR/speed alert which is helpful when it operates correctly. Incorrect GPS data, or more usually, road signs that are badly placed, obscured by vegetation, faded so the camera can't read them, or are just plain missing, are the issues I find.

There's a lot of work needed to make all these systems function reliably, and not just by the car manufacturers, it must be said.

11 hours ago, tef89 said:

Only on the ones that have the particular pack that includes it.

Mine has a few on it so I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the 'Driver Assistance Pack' on my 67 plate.

No idea on mine then,  it does have the collision warning red screen though! will have to look in my owners manual.

I hate it.  As I may have mentioned before.  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I also have false alarms for collision assist. 2x engine emergency mode, because of that. On the highway... I don't know what to do with it. What if it happens to the wife.

8 minutes ago, proch said:

I don't know what to do with it. What if it happens to the wife.

Your wife has an 'emergency mode' ?    Well I never 🤣

11 hours ago, proch said:

I also have false alarms for collision assist. 2x engine emergency mode, because of that. On the highway... I don't know what to do with it. What if it happens to the wife.

Turn the sensitivity down to low, make sure your windscreen is clean, make sure your Wiper Blades are clearing the camera area properly, get the software updated in the IPMA