Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue with Sat Nav on '15 MK2 Focus ST2

AJ Powell

Hi, I recently purchased a 2015 Focus ST2 (which I'm loving) from a second-hand dealership, everything's fine mechanically, but I'm having trouble with the Sat-Nav on the Sync-2 infotainment dealio.

Essentially, the blokes at the dealership popped the SD card in, and the car wasn't detecting it, rather it read it as a media one instead of a dedicated Sat-nav one. They suggested that I'd need to get the Sat-Nav run through an initial set-up at an Official Ford dealer.

However, upon speaking to someone at the dealership, they suggested it was highly unlikely a car this old will not have had the Sat-nav set up by any of the previous owners (Which I agree with), and that it could just be an issue with the car, and they could book me in for a diagnostic (at a premium of £150.)

One of the techs that was nearby did suggest that the SD cards are very specific though, and it could just be a case of the garage using the wrong one for that particular model of car.

So essentially, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues, and if so, if they had any suggestions? I've seen that you can purchase the SD cards off eBay, but I don't particularly want to be spending £30 and waiting for delivery only to find out it's the incorrect card. By all means, if you guys know which is the correct card to get for this particular model, that'd be great!

Latest version should be F8.
Is nav enabled on your car?
If you can see a compass on the top right quarter then it isn't.
Have a word with@Bannko , he's the nav guru here.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@AJ Powell as Stoney asked. Just let us know what SD you have there and what it says on the top right corner above the compass. 

• Like 1

I'll PM you, it sounds like it's been sold to you without Nav actually as a feature, if so I might have something to give you ammo if you wanted to argue it for a part refund or get them to have it enabled for you..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bannko said:

@AJ Powell as Stoney asked. Just let us know what SD you have there and what it says on the top right corner above the compass. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, Stoney871 said:

Latest version should be F8.
Is nav enabled on your car?
If you can see a compass on the top right quarter then it isn't.
Have a word with@Bannko , he's the nav guru here.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It has got the little compass thing, so that's good to know. Appreciate the prompt responses.

I don't currently have an SD in though, unfortunately, blokes at the dealership took it out when it didn't work and left me without one. I've got the little plastic casing that I assume came with the original one in the little holder for the manual, if that can be of any assistance?

From what I remember, it just kept trying to read it as though it were media (I.E, play music or something off it), and still prompted us to insert a Nav card when I attempted to enter the Sat-Nav on the screen.

Hiya AJ,

I've fired over another message with hopefully some useful info for you. If you do struggle at all and that doesn't help, @Bannko is definitely the Nav legend on here, just for awareness 😉

• Thanks 1

@AJ Powell well assuming from your description your SYNC2 is a nav unit and maybe just a bad SD card was provided by the dealer.

But to give you just a quick explanation. Above the compass you can see there 3 types of short message:

1. Information system - this means the SYNC2 is a non-nav unit

2. Insert NAV SD card - SYNC2 is a nav unit just a SDcard with nav maps is missing in the SD slot in your arm rest.

3. Navigation - navigation is up and running, you just tap on the compass and it will start. 

The nav SDcards for SYNC2 are mark with a capital letter + number (no. represents version, the higher the newest map database). For example this is the latest correct SDcard for SYNC2. So if it was not an F-card that the dealer provided you, then it is completely normal that the SYNC2 did not recognized it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XFord+F8+SD.TRS0&_nkw=Ford+F8+SD&_sacat=0

So let us know further details if possible 🙂

-----

@WireyWhenWet haha thanks pal for the kind words 😉 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, Bannko said:

@AJ Powell well assuming from your description your SYNC2 is a nav unit and maybe just a bad SD card was provided by the dealer.

But to give you just a quick explanation. Above the compass you can see there 3 types of short message:

1. Information system - this means the SYNC2 is a non-nav unit

2. Insert NAV SD card - SYNC2 is a nav unit just a SDcard with nav maps is missing in the SD slot in your arm rest.

3. Navigation - navigation is up and running, you just tap on the compass and it will start. 

The nav SDcards for SYNC2 are mark with a capital letter + number (no. represents version, the higher the newest map database). For example this is the latest correct SDcard for SYNC2. So if it was not an F-card that the dealer provided you, then it is completely normal that the SYNC2 did not recognized it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XFord+F8+SD.TRS0&_nkw=Ford+F8+SD&_sacat=0

So let us know further details if possible 🙂

-----

@WireyWhenWet haha thanks pal for the kind words 😉 

Hi, I've managed to get it sorted! @WireyWhenWet was able to guide me on which card to get, got an F8 delivered this morning, and it's all up and running. Can't thank you both enough for the help, you've been real life savers!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AJ Powell said:

Hi, I've managed to get it sorted! @WireyWhenWet was able to guide me on which card to get, got an F8 delivered this morning, and it's all up and running. Can't thank you both enough for the help, you've been real life savers!

Great to hear it's all sorted, theres nothing more frustrating than knowing a feature should work and it isn't!

Happy motoring in the ST, they're a great car 😊👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club