Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel consumption

Lisa N

Hi

What are peoples experience of the kuga's fuel consumption.  I have had my Ford kuga for nearly twelve months.  I used to have a diesel 2. I kuga..... I now have a kuga 1.5 petrol car as the Ford sales man recommend a petrol due to the type of driving I was doing. 

Current MPG in my opinion is rubbish.... Currently 26.7mpg.....putting £160 of petrol in a month Compared to £60 when I had the diesel 😞

9 hours ago, Lisa N said:

Hi

What are peoples experience of the kuga's fuel consumption.  I have had my Ford kuga for nearly twelve months.  I used to have a diesel 2. I kuga..... I now have a kuga 1.5 petrol car as the Ford sales man recommend a petrol due to the type of driving I was doing. 

Current MPG in my opinion is rubbish.... Currently 26.7mpg.....putting £160 of petrol in a month Compared to £60 when I had the diesel 😞

I recently had a 2018 Kuga Diesel on loan from Ford while my Focus was in for warranty work and it was recording 29.5mpg mainly local use.

Not sure what engine it was but I suspect it was a 2.0ltr based on the torque steer and its willingness to spin the front wheels when pulling away on anything but a completely dry surface.

If you're only doing short drives, petrol is more suitable because it won't have the DPF issues that short journeys cause on diesels.  

Petrol MPG won't be as good as the diesel was though.

DPF repair bills can be huge (as well as inconvenient!) so there's more to think about than just the fuel costs.

I don't have any experience of the Kuga but ~30mpg sounds perfectly acceptable for a car of that size with the 1.5EB.

1.5 Petrol AWD …..probably the worst MPG of all the Fords ive owned over the past 8 years....

I'm getting around 28 mpg (according to the onboard comp) and although I have rarely driven it the last few weeks I find everytime I take it out I have to fill up. coming from a 1.0L 2016 Focus EcoBoot I was easily getting 35-40mpg, not to mention it was nippier and more fun to drive..

Lisa, going by the mpg you say and the difference in how much you pay for fuel it would equate to you getting 65-70 mpg in the diesel - which does seem a bit unlikely

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, notfocused said:

1.5 Petrol AWD …..probably the worst MPG of all the Fords ive owned over the past 8 years....

I'm getting around 28 mpg (according to the onboard comp) and although I have rarely driven it the last few weeks I find everytime I take it out I have to fill up. coming from a 1.0L 2016 Focus EcoBoot I was easily getting 35-40mpg, not to mention it was nippier and more fun to drive..

28mpg is good!!

Mrs had the same 1.5 AWD auto and we could just scrape 24mpg on a steady 250mile cruise on nearly all motorway's and dual carriageways, around town it would get about 18mpg.

Also had a nasty habit of destroying the engine every 4000miles, first time it was cylinder 1 and the 2nd time it was cylinder 2 and the turbo. Got rid of it with 8000miles on the clock and got a 2l diesel one now, even with only 600miles on the clock it refuses to do less than 32mpg around town while being driven exuberantly lol

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is. 2.0ltr Diesel at first i was shocked the numbers were as low as they were for a 2wd, especially after having a 1.5d Mk3.5 Focus before (getting 60+mpg easily), then i looked at kerb weights and the fact its shaped like a brick! Was getting 42mpg on a motorway run, after investing in Bluefin I’m at 48mpg on a motorway run about 550mls to a tank and 200bhp to boot! Not the greatest on mpg but its a far roomier car!

im quite happy with my oil burner poluting the air , diesel kuga brand new , notice the fuel cost just driving it less than my last 2.2 merc i would say im down 10mpg , saw what the 1.5 petrol got and said fxxx that for a game of sudgers. its a heavy motor with a mondeo engine and all wheel drive so friction plays a part in mpg,s i would say cut your loses and get rid of it . and adopt a differant driving style , your up high look far enough ahead and make a desition to fether pedal or come of it and coast . other than that dont fill the tank up keep it low for less weight to haul

• 4 months later...

Get a plug in Kuga  phev Up to 40 miles - no petrol ! Then average around 150 mpg. Simples.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, Nems said:

Get a plug in Kuga  phev Up to 40 miles - no petrol ! Then average around 150 mpg. Simples.

And hope the battery doesn't spontaneously combust 😯

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Mark M said:

28mpg is good!!

Mrs had the same 1.5 AWD auto and we could just scrape 24mpg on a steady 250mile cruise on nearly all motorway's and dual carriageways, around town it would get about 18mpg.

Also had a nasty habit of destroying the engine every 4000miles, first time it was cylinder 1 and the 2nd time it was cylinder 2 and the turbo. Got rid of it with 8000miles on the clock and got a 2l diesel one now, even with only 600miles on the clock it refuses to do less than 32mpg around town while being driven exuberantly lol

On 3/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, S88RKR said:

Mine is. 2.0ltr Diesel at first i was shocked the numbers were as low as they were for a 2wd, especially after having a 1.5d Mk3.5 Focus before (getting 60+mpg easily), then i looked at kerb weights and the fact its shaped like a brick! Was getting 42mpg on a motorway run, after investing in Bluefin I’m at 48mpg on a motorway run about 550mls to a tank and 200bhp to boot! Not the greatest on mpg but its a far roomier car!

Only had my kuga 20TDI 2014 for 3 months and been looking at some of the MPG that has been put out there which varied from 34 to 43 MPG .

just been on a run to Melton Mowbray and avaraged 50 to 53.3 great return for a big car .

3 hours ago, Steve j cole said:

been on a run to Melton Mowbray and avaraged 50 to 53.3 great return

Sounds like Pie in the Sky !! 🤣

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 11:39 PM, unofix said:

Sounds like Pie in the Sky !! 🤣

I think not. My wife took my car down to Northampton from home (near Edinburgh) and averaged 54.48mpg. This was accurately measured brim to brim and not reliant on the on board computer. 

..........oh !!!

I get the feeling my little joke has been missed.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:52 PM, Steve j cole said:

Melton Mowbray

Pork pie.JPG