Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Meguires M105 & M205 advice

mitch84

Hi

I have just purchased a machine polisher kit that includes Meguires M105 and M205 , I want to try and remove some fine scratches and paint swirls, I also want to prep my car at a later date ready for a wax or ceramic sealant.

Has anyone used Meguires M105 or M205, just wondered if I can get away with just using M205 , as M105 is more of a cutting product and I think that would be overkill for panels that are in good condition.

Im going to use m105 to remove the scratches though.

Thanks

Mitch

I have used both mainly on Merc paint. I would do a few test spots around the car. 105 for the deeper scratches and 205 for the finer ones and following areas where you have used the 105 as it will leave it cloudy and the 205 will give it the final lift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would agree with the above. 

With me I'd use Koch chemie H8.02 compound which cuts and also leaves a good glossy finish 👍

If your doing it on a Ford test on an inconspicuous area first and probably do about 2 crosshatch passes then inspect the paint. Obviously though make you clean, decontaminate and clay the area so no dirt can get caught on the pad and scratch the paint. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Image2000uk said:

Mitch

I have used both mainly on Merc paint. I would do a few test spots around the car. 105 for the deeper scratches and 205 for the finer ones and following areas where you have used the 105 as it will leave it cloudy and the 205 will give it the final lift.

Having got the stuff now and read the descriptions of each product your advice makes sense as the 105 is mainly for scratches and marks.

As above I would clean my car first but is the claying always required beforehand as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mitch84 said:

Having got the stuff now and read the descriptions of each product your advice makes sense as the 105 is mainly for scratches and marks.

As above I would clean my car first but is the claying always required beforehand as well.

I'd say it may not be necessary but recommend it so there's no contaminates on the paint which might get picked up on the pad and start scratching the paint. 

• Like 1

Here's what I did on my car when I detailed it. About halfway down the page 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mitch84 said:

I always clay my car's before machine polishing them. I don't want to pick up a chunk of contamination then polish more scratches into the paint than I am trying to take out.

Don't forget to clean your pad after each panel.  I use an old toothbrush and turn the machine up to 6 and rest it upside down on my knee then rub the toothbrush over the pad to remove the excess polish and clear coat 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, zain611 said:

Would agree with the above. 

With me I'd use Koch chemie H8.02 compound which cuts and also leaves a good glossy finish 👍

If your doing it on a Ford test on an inconspicuous area first and probably do about 2 crosshatch passes then inspect the paint. Obviously though make you clean, decontaminate and clay the area so no dirt can get caught on the pad and scratch the paint. 

After a bit more research I have seen some more products that Im keen to try instead of the Meguiars 105 and 205.

I have seen Scholl s20 black which is a one step product and apparently is good at removing scratches as well as leaving a good polished finish, plus I can switch the sponges over so a heavy cutting pad for any scratches and the softer pad for the final polish.

I heard 105 makes a bit of dust and also is as well lubricated so have to stick to smaller areas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

After a bit more research I have seen some more products that Im keen to try instead of the meguiars 105 and 205.

I have seen Scholl s20 black which is a one step product and apparently is good at removing scratches as well as leaving a good polished finish, plus I can switch the sponges over so a heavy cutting pad for any scratches and the softer pad for the final polish.

I heard 105 makes a bit of dust and also is as well lubricated so have to stick to smaller areas.

I'd personally go with the Koch chemie H8.02. No dust, has good cutting power and leaves the paint nice and glossy. Only need a medium thickness pad for it 👍. I used a finishing polish after the compound and it was really hard seeing the difference. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I'd personally go with the Koch chemie H8.02. No dust, has good cutting power and leaves the paint nice and glossy. Only need a medium thickness pad for it 👍. I used a finishing polish after the compound and it was really hard seeing the difference. 

Will check it out, is it like the Scholl S20 black, in that it's 1 step so can cut and polish depending on pads used?

I have some hexlogic orange pads for cutting and white pads for polishing.

Just think it will be better to use a product that does all the jobs instead of using Meguires m105 to remove a scratch and the M205 to polish it.

Thanks

• Like 1

Yeah the Koch Chemie H8 02  suggests using a polish afterwards, so I think I will just use the Meguires and see how I go. 

23 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Yeah the Koch Chemie H8 02  suggests using a polish afterwards, so I think I will just use the Meguires and see how I go. 

Here's a 50/50 shot of when I used that compound. Honestly was good enough for me not to use a finishing polish 

_20200212_110242.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

Here's a 50/50 shot of when I used that compound. Honestly was good enough for me not to use a finishing polish 

_20200212_110242.JPG

Sorry if you already mentioned it but what pad did you use?

I think I will try Scholl S20 first, and use a hexlogic white pad as that hasn't got much if any cut to it, I don't really need much cutting power apart from a light scratch, but even then the white pad might do it, I could always get a CG green hexlogic pad otherwise for that area.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Sorry if you already mentioned it but what pad did you use?

I think I will try Scholl S20 first, and use a hexlogic white pad as that hasn't got much if any cut to it, I don't really need much cutting power apart from a light scratch, but even then the white pad might do it, I could always get a CG green hexlogic pad otherwise for that area.

I just used a generic hexlogic pad with medium thickness. Think it should say polish or compound pad. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club