Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can key fob be upgraded (keyless)

gillyallan

Can my key fob be upgraded to new style of not emitting signal when still which I believe newer ford's have?

Mine is 2017 mk3. 5

If it can any idea price.

Only Focus 2018 on or Fiesta 2017 on  £72 + labour for programming .

• Like 1

I'm looking at a car at the weekend for a friend that doesn't like keyless entry, it's a Titanium X 2015, and I believe it *could* be as simple as pulling a fuse in the boot but I'm unsure if it will work so easily yet but will let you know.

It's a fuse listed as just the keyless entry, so the usual button locking/unlocking should work as normal with no detriment.

Will update as I find out more if the storm doesn't put the journey off..

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

Can my key fob be upgraded to new style of not emitting signal when still which I believe newer ford's have?

Mine is 2017 mk3. 5

Comares 2001 is right about price. It is another £70 odd to have it programmed. Very expensive replacement. I didn’t know you couldn’t replace slightly older car keys. 

I'm looking at a car at the weekend for a friend that doesn't like keyless entry, it's a Titanium X 2015, and I believe it *could* be as simple as pulling a fuse in the boot but I'm unsure if it will work so easily yet but will let you know.

It's a fuse listed as just the keyless entry, so the usual button locking/unlocking should work as normal with no detriment.

I like keyless entry. It's the older fobs like mine emit thier code constantly I don't like as open to scanning. The new ones switch off after a while until they sense movement and then come to life. For the most this avoids scanning and nicking off your driveway.

The reason I asked is the article I had read said some manufacturers offer to convert for free or a small charge. Obviously not Ford then.

• Like 1

If you buy a decent ELM lead to connect to the OBD and install Forscan you can switch keyless (passive) entry off yourself

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

Still leaves the hatch keyless, see #5

https://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/563443-disabling-some-conveniences/?hl=%2Bkeyless+%2Bentry

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, CallMeSteven said:

I have the newer fob, but still keep it in a blocker pouch

Can you tell me how you got it ? I have spoken to my dealer and Ford uk and they haven’t a clue what I’m on about . Mine is a 2020 fiesta and the fob looks like the new type but the new type says won’t work over 2 metres and mine opens the car at 10 metres 

9 minutes ago, Julianford said:

Can you tell me how you got it ? I have spoken to my dealer and Ford uk and they haven’t a clue what I’m on about . Mine is a 2020 fiesta and the fob looks like the new type but the new type says won’t work over 2 metres and mine opens the car at 10 metres 

Leave the fob somewhere solid near the car for a minute or two.  (Not in your pocket as it'll move).  Then try to open a door keylessly.  It shouldn't work until you move the keyfob.

• Thanks 1

The dealership has now emailed me back saying the new fob is only standard on the ST line and to upgrade it is £46 fob and £66 to program it 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Julianford said:

The dealership has now emailed me back saying the new fob is only standard on the ST line and to upgrade it is £46 fob and £66 to program it 

That's odd.  I'm pretty sure all the Focus's with keyless entry have had the motion fob for a couple of years now.  I'm guessing they mean ST rather than ST-Line.  Which spec is yours?

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Leave the fob somewhere solid near the car for a minute or two.  (Not in your pocket as it'll move).  Then try to open a door keylessly.  It shouldn't work until you move the keyfob.

Thanks Tom 

just done the test . Put it on the floor 2 metres from car and I could unlock it . Locked it back up and left fob in same place 40 seconds not moved and I couldn’t open the door so I think it does have the motion sensor even though the dealer says he checked my vehicle and it didn’t . I’m confused though as I thought the new fob would not operate over 2 metres and I can still unlock my car from 10 metres 

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's odd.  I'm pretty sure all the Focus's with keyless entry have had the motion fob for a couple of years now.  I'm guessing they mean ST rather than ST-Line.  Which spec is yours?

St line X edition 

On 2/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, gillyallan said:

Mine is 2017 mk3. 5

I was told my fiesta can be and it’s £46 inc vat for the fob and £66 inc vat to re program it that’s each key 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:16 PM, Gilli said:

Comares 2001 is right about price. It is another £70 odd to have it programmed. Very expensive replacement. I didn’t know you couldn’t replace slightly older car keys. 

On 2/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, gillyallan said:

Mine is 2017 mk3. 5

I was quoted by Sandicliffe Ford £46 each fob and £66 each fob to re program inc vat 

33 minutes ago, Julianford said:

Thanks Tom 

just done the test . Put it on the floor 2 metres from car and I could unlock it . Locked it back up and left fob in same place 40 seconds not moved and I couldn’t open the door so I think it does have the motion sensor even though the dealer says he checked my vehicle and it didn’t . I’m confused though as I thought the new fob would not operate over 2 metres and I can still unlock my car from 10 metres 

2 metres is for the keyless entry only.  The fob buttons will still unlock it from 10m away if that's what you mean?

• Like 1

Hi Tom yes . The test was over 2 metres the car won’t unlock even if the fob is moved . Within 2 metres of moved the car unlocks but if left 49 sec or more even next to the car it won’t unlock with your hands . 

the remote still unlocks at distance. 
is this the latest security fob ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

2 metres is for the keyless entry only.  The fob buttons will still unlock it from 10m away if that's what you mean?

8 minutes ago, Julianford said:

Hi Tom yes . The test was over 2 metres the car won’t unlock even if the fob is moved . Within 2 metres of moved the car unlocks but if left 49 sec or more even next to the car it won’t unlock with your hands . 

the remote still unlocks at distance. 
is this the latest security fob ? 

Yes, that's the latest 'sleepy' motion sensing fob.

Your dealership sounds about as useful as door edge protectors... :biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, that's the latest 'sleepy' motion sensing fob.

Your dealership sounds about as useful as door edge protectors... :biggrin:

Great thanks mate and yes there as useful as a chocolate fire guard . This forum is allot more help 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Julianford said:

Great thanks mate and yes there as useful as a chocolate fire guard . This forum is allot more help 👍

Always is. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club