Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Puma ST Line X First Edition - First Impressions

RMB

I have owned my new Puma since 1st February.  It’s quite a change from the Fiesta which I traded in.

I traded in the Fiesta because one day we will be driving electric vehicles. The migration to a hybrid, even a mild hybrid, was a logical step to take.

The Puma is of higher value than the Fiesta. This, in theory will make the move to an even higher value electric or true hybrid an easier step to take financially.

Then, I was after sat-nav and more boot space.  Also, with the SUV ground clearance is higher making it easier to get in and out of the car.  Now, because my car is a First Edition model there are loads of factory fitted extras thrown in at a reasonable price. The sound system had B&O Speakers. There are loads of safety features such as lane drift warnings, proximity warnings re hazards close by all 4 sides of the car, a brilliant rear camera screen Also when you first select reverse, the car won't move until, you depress the clutch a second time; this is to remind you to look around to make sure all is clear before moving.

I love the digital displays and the ability to toggle through up to 7 information screens, such as tyre pressures, average fuel consumption, the hybrid gauge, and 2 trip gauges.

Then, you can select your preferred ride including Eco, sport, and normal.

This car is going to be fun to drive. It’s a nice SUV

• Like 2

I’m going to repost some files which cover the car’s digital displays and other initial items which I think are not adequately covered by the printed version of the driver’s manual.  The online manual available via the Ford-pass app is far better.Puma Dash 02.pdf

Puma dash 01.pdf

File 3. Which looks at some of what is displayed before switching on the engine and after switching off the engine

Puma Dash 03.pdf

I bought a first edition 155 yesterday. Just a few days to wait until it arrives from Dagenham. I have driven the 125 and the 155. The 155 was a plus edition on 19" rims.  I was surprised at how supple the ride was on those wheels. 

I have had 3 Fiesta ST's on the bounce and wanted a bit softer ride and more practicality, in exchange for performance that I rarely used and not feeling every jar and jolt from stiff suspension on our pot hole riddled roads. 

Pictures of the car don't seem to do it justice. I thought it looked far more proportional when looking at it at the dealers.

I found the extra torque of the 155 over the 125 noticeable, the steering light but direct and the gear change spot on with a light clutch action. It's far more comfortable than my fiesta st. It is still a fun drivers car though. 

You can feel the battery regen when coasting off throttle to hazards etc. I was able to roll to a stop without breaking. Start stop cuts in a lot earlier too. 

I looked for a battery charge status indication, is there one? You have the regen or boost scrolling gauge. Is that the only indication of hybrid status?

Blis works well as does adaptive cruise. It feels planted at motorway speeds and is very quiet.

One thing I don't understand is why heated seats and wheel are not included in either two of the top spec first editions. I know this is the comfort pack but why do ford not include this when every other extra is standard. 

Power tailgate.... I don't know how I've ever managed without one. The load space is flexible and the megabox will be handy for muddy walking gear. I also like how the flexible parcel shelf is attached to the boot lid.

Hopefully I'll be on the road by the end of the week. 

Be safe in these strong winds. 

Edited by Wdf76
Spelling
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wdf76 said:

I have had 3 Fiesta ST's on the bounce and wanted a bit softer ride and more practicality, in exchange for performance that I rarely used and not feeling every jar and jolt from stiff suspension on our pot hole riddled roads. 

I'm awaiting the Puma ST with interest for the same reason. Couldn't live with the Fiesta ST (much as I'd like one) on the roads I have to use, hoping the Puma might be a better compromise!

12 hours ago, RMB said:

Also when you first select reverse, the car won't move until, you depress the clutch a second time; this is to remind you to look around to make sure all is clear before moving.

I didn't find that on my test drive, just depressed the clutch, selected reverse, let the clutch up as normal.

@RMBIs there a setting to make the power tailgate open with your foot? I couldn't make it work at the dealers yesterday. Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Wdf76 said:

@RMBIs there a setting to make the power tailgate open with your foot? I couldn't make it work at the dealers yesterday. Thanks. 

I haven't found a setting.  I managed to work the feature once - never again.   I'v followed the instructions to the T, but to no avail.

23 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I didn't find that on my test drive, just depressed the clutch, selected reverse, let the clutch up as normal.

Maybe this is a programmable safety feature.  I'll investigate.  I thought there was a problem when this first happened to me, but it definitely happens.

1 hour ago, RMB said:

I thought there was a problem when this first happened to me, but it definitely happens.

If I'm understanding correctly, you depress the clutch, put it in reverse, let the clutch up and nothing happens, then have to depress and release the clutch again and it moves? Be interesting to see if Wayne's ( @Wdf76 ) does the same.

I don't recall this happening at all. I reverse parked twice at the dealers in both cars that I tested going straight from first to reverse.

Are you letting the clutch pedal up in neutral and the start stop is activating, before depressing the clutch to select reverse? 

Do you have park assist selected? Is this system activated by a double clutch movement?

I did for find that the start stop was keen to switch off the engine with the clutch depressed or neutral selected when rolling to a stop. The car still steers as normal. With previous start stop systems the engine has only cut off when the car is fully stopped. It feels like you are coasting to a stop in a full hybrid or bev car. 

This new generation of cars seem jam packed with systems that will take some learning to get the best of. I'll get stuck in this week. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wdf76 said:

This new generation of cars seem jam packed with systems that will take some learning to get the best of.

Oh dear! 

I'm still finding stuff in the Fiesta after 2 years, so looks like the Puma will take some getting to know!😀

• Like 2

It's really not helped by sales staff not being fully aware of everything the car is equipped with and how some of these systems work. Compounded as @RMB says with poor manuals.

It's just a case of being curious and playing about. I like to know what everything does. I'll happily get stuck in and find out how stuff works when I sign for the Puma. 

I remember the dealer ringing me with a couple of questions about my Mk.8 ST so he could help out a prospective customer.... 

He did tell me that he'd been on a course to test the Puma, but I think it's just a 'jolly boys and girls' outing. 😁😁

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Wdf76 said:

It's really not helped by sales staff not being fully aware of everything the car is equipped with and how some of these systems work.

Well, there is a lot more to know about modern cars, I suppose, but unfortunately a lot of sales staff I encounter don't seem that interested in the product itself, as opposed to  the finance plan, service plan, extended warranty plan, GAP insurance, paint protection, fabric protection, wheel insurance, etc, etc!

BMW apparently now have "product geniuses" that you can talk to about the actual features of the car, so you only need the sales person when you get to the finance bit. I haven't tested this yet but I was (slightly) interested in the new 1-Series so might give it a try, sometime. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Well, there is a lot more to know about modern cars, I suppose, but unfortunately a lot of sales staff I encounter don't seem that interested in the product itself, as opposed to  the finance plan, service plan, extended warranty plan, GAP insurance, paint protection, fabric protection, wheel insurance, etc, etc!

That's a great point, well made. 👍😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Oh dear! 

I'm still finding stuff in the Fiesta after 2 years, so looks like the Puma will take some getting to know!😀

After 18 months with the Golf, I found out last week the hook under the parcel shelf is to hold the boot carpet while you remove the spare!  Always wondered what you'd hang off of it! :laugh: 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, detroitdiesel said:

does anybody know when the twin clutch auto is due out.

I've seen suggestions of later this year (along with the ST, a diesel and a lower powered petrol), but no confirmed dates.

5 hours ago, Wdf76 said:

I don't recall this happening at all. I reverse parked twice at the dealers in both cars that I tested going straight from first to reverse.

Are you letting the clutch pedal up in neutral and the start stop is activating, before depressing the clutch to select reverse? 

Do you have park assist selected? Is this system activated by a double clutch movement?

Park assist wasn’t activated. There is a button in the group of buttons between the front seats to activate it. 

The car is at a standstill. Depress clutch then I select reverse. The car won’t move. The rear view camera screen has a text along the bottom along the lines of “Check all surroundings before moving off.”  I have to depress the clutch and release it for a second time before the car moves.

@RMB Understood. I'll try this week and see what happens. 

Just thinking out loud with regards to the power tailgate.... Does it only work with your foot when the car is locked. Eg. Approaching the car with shopping bags in each hand. Car is locked, key in pocket, stick foot under bumper and up she goes......

I’ve gone through the in-car settings menus quickly.  The attached file shows the “commands” hierarchy. There’s quite a choice available!  I haven’t explored much further than this.

the drive settings Eco, sport, normal, off road etc are scrolled through by pressing a button in the cluster between the front seats.

I hope this all helps, rather than confuse. 🙂

Puma settings menus.pdf

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Wdf76 said:

@RMB Understood. I'll try this week and see what happens. 

Just thinking out loud with regards to the power tailgate.... Does it only work with your foot when the car is locked. Eg. Approaching the car with shopping bags in each hand. Car is locked, key in pocket, stick foot under bumper and up she goes......

Yes that’s the general idea.  You’re supposed to put your foot under the sensor in mid third area of bumper and kick outwards sharply.

• Thanks 1

@RMB Just wondering how you're getting on with the Puma generally. Are you happy with your decision? I'm looking forward to getting mine. 

I had a pint with a couple of mates today, whilst watching the rugby I told them I'd changed my car. They were like Brenda from Bristol. "What.... Another one....." 😁😁. When I told them I'd traded for a Puma they had no idea what it is. 

This new Ford is still well below the radar...

• Like 2

I hadn't seen any and then 3 drove past me in a row on the way back from Warwick on Friday

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club