Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Stop/Start Not Working

Cloth Tabs

I have a 23 month old Fiesta Titanium with 13000 miles on the clock. It had its first service 3 weeks ago and since then I've noticed that the Auto Stop/Start doesn't work.

On the dashboard display there is a circular icon with a capital A inside which has a line through it and it is  greyed out, which appears to  indicate that the Auto Stop/Start is disabled

If I hold the clutch down the icon disappears but it reappear once I release the clutch provided the car is stationary. 

Also there's a button with the same icon located behind the gear lever. If I press this button it illuminates in yellow to say that it is OFF and the dashboard icon disappears . If I press the button again the grey icon reappears 

Previously, when the Auto Stop/Start was working, the dashboard icon was  lit in green -- not greyed out.  

How can I enable the Auto Stop/Start and if I can't what is the likely reason for it not working now ?

There’s lots of reasons.

Mine goes through periods of this scenario and I just put it down to the car needing to charge the battery or some other criteria that’s stopping it. I find after 10-20 miles of the car running it’ll then work again.

On a previous diesel car (mine is now a petrol), the stop start would be disabled if the car was running a DPF regen cycle which happened a lot of you did a bunch of short journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi Bob, I'm not sure which menu you mean.

According to the manual the Auto Stop/Start can be toggled on and off with the icon button behind the gear lever, but I've found that this doesn't enable the function

as the dashboard icon when it appears is always greyed out.

Until last week mine hadn't worked since October, I do too many short trips and we are in a cold season,
A trip to the coast last week and now it's working again, probably won't tomorrow as I've not moved it in 2 days.
From what I understand, the car has to be fully warm and the battery needs a good charge,
This time of year batteries suffer from the cold and it takes longer for the engines to warm up.

• Like 2

Thanks RAIDER32.

I must admit that I haven't been doing much mileage lately and the lights are often on during the dull winter days. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the Auto Stop/Start re-enables itself when the battery is fully charged after a long run.

• Like 2

Until last week mine hadn't worked since October, I do too many short trips and we are in a cold season,
A trip to the coast last week and now it's working again, probably won't tomorrow as I've not moved it in 2 days.
From what I understand, the car has to be fully warm and the battery needs a good charge,
This time of year batteries suffer from the cold and it takes longer for the engines to warm up.

Very good points. Only one it don’t know about 100% is the engine temp one as I seem to recall mine activates when the car isn’t fully warmed up on occasion. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Daggerit said:

Only one it don’t know about 100% is the engine temp one as I seem to recall mine activates when the car isn’t fully warmed up on occasion. I could be wrong though.

I could be wrong too, on a similar thread someone mentioned the engine temp,
It would make sense that an engine wouldn't 'cold start' too many times,
say you leave your house and hit a series of traffic lights before it's even warmed up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

I could be wrong too, on a similar thread someone mentioned the engine temp,
It would make sense that an engine wouldn't 'cold start' too many times,
say you leave your house and hit a series of traffic lights before it's even warmed up.

According to a Ford Technical document I was reading recently Stop/Start is deactivated if the Coolant Temperature is either below 60c or above 110c.

There are also a lot of other reasons why it is greyed out, most of them to protect the Engine or its components and others such as user environmental settings, Sports Mode and even if the Fuel level is below 15%.

I your case it is probably because the battery Charge Level is too low.

• Like 2

It will tell you in settings, information, autostopstart

• Like 2

The owners manual has a list of conditions that could stop the system working.

16 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

It will tell you in settings, information, autostopstart

Did that and It says engine on due to battery charging.

That explains it. Thanks very much Guy

I thought if you are trying to warm the interior (ie with climate control if the interior has not reached the requested temp) then stop start will not activate.

35 minutes ago, Kental said:

I thought if you are trying to warm the interior (ie with climate control if the interior has not reached the requested temp) then stop start will not activate.

Definitely not all the time as when I leave work at the end of the day it'll activate while the car is trying to warm the interior and before the temp gauge is even off the stop...

On 2/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Daggerit said:

Definitely not all the time as when I leave work at the end of the day it'll activate while the car is trying to warm the interior and before the temp gauge is even off the stop...

Is that in Eco mode or normal?  Perhaps it just needs a certain amount of heat in the heater matrix.

55 minutes ago, Kental said:

Is that in Eco mode or normal?  Perhaps it just needs a certain amount of heat in the heater matrix.

That's just in normal mode because I don't generally drive in Eco.  I'd guess it's 500-600m to the first set of lights and it'll turn off there most days.

Mine didn't work from when I got it, but changed the battery recently and it works now as advertised. You could try resetting the battery. As a note, the car is charging at 15v at tickover to charge the battery to support the stop/start technology.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Daggerit said:

That's just in normal mode because I don't generally drive in Eco.  I'd guess it's 500-600m to the first set of lights and it'll turn off there most days.

That's pretty brisk. This morning it was about 2 miles before the stop start activated on ours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kental said:

That's pretty brisk. This morning it was about 2 miles before the stop start activated on ours.

Mine hasn't worked in a couple of months. Haha

Is the auto stop start for starting the car? If so how do you get it started? Is there a back up key? 

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue. My car was 14 months old with less than 12k miles when I bought it and the stop start has never worked on it. My work commute is 30 miles each way, so I'm definitely putting enough miles in it.

I was recommended to reset the battery monitoring system, preferably after a charge. To do this you need to switch on the car ignition (not engine)

Switch on headlights 

Flash high beam 5 times

Press brake pedal 3 times 

The battery light on dash should then flash

Switch off ignition.

Mine failed following a BCM replacement but a full dealer charge, costing more than it would save during the life of the car fixed it. It has since failed twice but has recovered with a couple of 60 mile runs. battery reset according to the procedure had no effect whatsoever. It now switches off within a mile.

• 9 months later...

Just had the same problem with a Fiesta that has just had a good run so battery warmed up. However, after doing the battery reset as explained above and taking the headlights off of auto, it works again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 
the start stop has stopped working, I have tried resetting it using the fog light and warning lights which works for about a day then stops again. When I start it the light comes up green on the dash to say it’s working but doesn’t. Anyone have anyone have and ideas on what else it could be thankyou

i have. 2013 Ford fiesta

• 5 weeks later...

My stop-start has not worked since we had a new exhaust fitted. Anyone else had this? 

• Haha 1