Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beware Used Wheels on eBay.

Milkman

I would caution anyone buying used parts on eBay as there appears to be a lot of rubbish on offer, especially used wheels with tyres, here is a very good example of one that is absolutely useless and possibly illegal, study the pictures, especially picture 5 showing part of the tyre wall and take particular attention to the sellers description, and his asking price for what it is, is up in the stratosphere. The guy obviously has no regard for safety and needs educating.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-16-Inch-Alloy-Wheel/114095450333?hash=item1a909e68dd:g:FYoAAOSwcDBeNZVo

• Like 1

not sure about the fifth pic, as long as no reinforcement threads are exposed that is not a problem, and I can't see any in the pic, but I would want to prise it more with a blunt screwdriver or something.  The eleventh pic puncture repair looks odd, I would be more concerned about that.  and the mention of a minor buckle. I wouldn't buy that unless I saw it spun round on a hub first to see if i thought it was minor.  MOT manual does not seem to give any specifics on where you draw the line on buckled wheels.

• Like 1

The first concern I have is it's in Bradford where you got most of the dodgy brothers there's. No offence to anyone. 

Buckle possibly could haggle the seller saying you'd want to get that fixed if you buy it. 

That slit on the wall doesn't look too bad. My 16 inch fiesta wheels with the same tire I accidentally made a big slit bigger than that on the wall after accidentally clipping a kurb 🤦‍♂️. No leaks from that. 

That tire puncture repair again might put people off. 

MarksST, I've sent him a message but not had a reply yet, not holding my breath on that one.

isetta, that tyre would, if on the car at the time of MOT would fail as it would be deemed to be damaged, likely to weaken the tyre wall, if in the boot as a spare it wouldn't even be looked at but would you trust a damaged tyre with your wife and kids driving on the motorway at 70mph?, I definitely wouldn't.

zain661, a buckled wheel is a buckled wheel and an alloy buckled wheel, no matter how little the buckle is, it's still scrap, you cannot repair it, if you try to straighten it the rim could and most likely would crack and no amount of 'balancing' would cure it plus it's another MOT failure. Again, regarding puncture repair, repairing one in the wall of the tyre is illegal, it can only be repaired if within so many mm of the tread from the shoulder of the tyre. MOT pass or failure largely depends on the examiner, some are tougher than others but all still have to carry out the duty to the ever changing  standards of the DOT and VOSA. (Now called DVSA). At the end of the day, I wouldn't trust the wheel and tyre (or the seller) as far as I could roll it down a steep hill.

• Like 1

Have you seen his feedback?  He seems to have hundreds of 16" Fiesta alloy wheels and many people seem daft enough to pay £100 each for them!! :laugh: 

That wheel isn't buckled though, it's just dented.  If it's an obvious rim dent it'll just be advised as such, one of mine was advised 2 years ago (but not last year, must have fixed itself!).  Mine is actually repairable but it's not worth the cost for me when it holds air and balances fine.  The tyre sidewall also isn't an MOT failure...that tyre has a rim flange protector and it's that that has taken the damage and ripped off.  There are no cords showing so it's not an MOT failure.  The price is ridiculous, but I can't see anything dangerous or illegal about the item itself.

Appreciate your comments Tom but I have had a few experiences with buckled/dented alloys and gouged tyres, not good either. The cording of a tyre does not need to be showing for it to fail an MOT, even a tyre that has signs of cracking will fail. Did you know that if MOT centres were to take it to the letter of the Law, a tyre that is more than 5 years old, regardless of condition, can be regarded as unsafe, especially trailer tyres, VOSA was recently doing tyre checks at our local cattle market and any tyres that were over 5 years old were ordered to be changed.

There's no law banning 5 year old tyres so unless they're perished (cracking/splitting) even DVSA can't force you to change them.  In fact, it's perfectly legal for a tyre garage to supply tyres that are up to 5 years old as 'new'.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

I have to say, I read that and I wouldn't say there's anything about this setup that would fail an MOT.

And there was nothing about age in there either so I'm not sure where the 5 year thing came from you're talking about?

On 2/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, zain611 said:

The first concern I have is it's in Bradford where you got most of the dodgy brothers there's. No offence to anyone. 

Buckle possibly could haggle the seller saying you'd want to get that fixed if you buy it. 

That slit on the wall doesn't look too bad. My 16 inch fiesta wheels with the same tire I accidentally made a big slit bigger than that on the wall after accidentally clipping a kurb 🤦‍♂️. No leaks from that. 

That tire puncture repair again might put people off. 

Fair point, I got my fiesta stolen a few years back and when they recovered it the alloys were gone. Top and bottom of it is you don't know where the wheels are from or how dodgy the seller is. Personally I would inspect anything like that carefully before buying.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, nicam49 said:

And it's already sold! Good grief! 

Amazingly it had sold the day this thread was posted!  Not to worry though, he still has 2 more you can buy...  Or you could just buy his entire Fiesta for not much more than 4 of his wheels!  :laugh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/simo55555/m.html?item=114095450333&utm_medium=ForumLinks&hash=item1a909e68dd%3Ag%3AFYoAAOSwcDBeNZVo&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_campaign=referrals&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Like 1

To be fair. We get a LOT of customers with a bent wheel in. Fiestas are an ongoing joke in the trade at how bad they're. People often buy one off eBay as we can only quote new they look at it as a good price

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bashbarnard said:

To be fair. We get a LOT of customers with a bent wheel in. Fiestas are an ongoing joke in the trade at how bad they're. People often buy one off eBay as we can only quote new they look at it as a good price

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Is it possible repairing buckled wheels? I'm sure I saw a video where they used a hydraulic press to lightly nudge the buckled bit of a wheel and showed after spinning it how flush the edges were

It really depends if it's actually buckled or not and how bad the damage is.  A small rim dent can be repaired quite easily.  Not really worth it on cheap standard alloys but very common on aftermarkets and rare stuff.  If it's actually buckled, and the whole wheel is bent out of shape, that's not really repairable, it'll never be perfect again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Amazingly it had sold the day this thread was posted!  Not to worry though, he still has 2 more you can buy...  Or you could just buy his entire Fiesta for not much more than 4 of his wheels!  :laugh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/simo55555/m.html?item=114095450333&utm_medium=ForumLinks&hash=item1a909e68dd%3Ag%3AFYoAAOSwcDBeNZVo&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_campaign=referrals&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Not sure he understands how no reserve auctions work.

It starts with: 

FOR SALE WITH NO RESERVE IS A FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI 5 DOOR ZETEC.5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION,1.4 DIESEL ENGINE,2008,08 REG,99,000 MILES.ONLY £30 PER YEAR ROAD TAX.H.P.I CLEAR,NOT RECORDED AS A INSURANCE COMPANY ACCIDENT DAMAGED WRITE OFF,NO OUTSTANDING FINANCE.

and then ends with:

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE ABOVE BEFORE BIDDING.ONLY BID IF YOU INTEND TO BUY THE CAR,PAY FOR IT AND TAKE IT AWAY.IT'S A 12 YEAR OLD CAR WITH 100,000 MILES ON,PLEASE BE REALISTIC ABOUT YOUR EXPECTATIONS.THIS CAR IS NOT GOING TO BE GIVE AWAY AND I KNOW IT'S RETAIL VALUE SO NO SILLY OFFERS YOU WON'T GET A REPLY

It's 2018 MOT failed on a corroded brake pipe and a buckled wheel. He says that he 'knows the retail price of this car', well, in it's present state it's worth about £200, the late 2007 1.4 5 door that I bought last month with 1/3rd less mileage in Parkers guide is valued at £250 so what he thinks it's worth and actual value is probably several miles apart. Interesting reg last 3 letters, ideal for a peeping Tom! 👀

It's worth what someone will pay for it, bidding is above £500.

I know what he means about no silly offers. If you put something on eBay at say £250 opening bid you still get people messaging say '  i'll give £100 and take it away today mate ' . It's very annoying. If I would take £100 I would put the opening bid at £100 wouldn't I.

Anyway, if someone I knew had this car and asked me how much they could get for it, I would have said if it drives and the engine and gearbox and clutch appear to be fine then you will get over £500. 

With those damaged areas I'd see it being priced around there. With my zetec s I'd price mine more than that however mine has had a few bits done to it engine wise like reconditioned injectors and new seals, reverse camera and has a lot of extras most of the zetec s on sale don't have. Bodywork is immaculate as I had machine polished it. 

When you get a car with that mileage, you've got to factor in the price of a new cambelt for starters, unless you can get proof it's already been replaced. 

• Like 1

yes and no. it might break but at that kind of price I reckon most buyers would just chance it and keep their fingers crossed. or someone who can do the work themselves might buy it. cambelt very easy to do on these fiesta diesels compared to the petrol engines. the other advantages of this car is they are very economical, £30 road tax and no dpf to worry about. these fiesta diesels will always be desirable because of these feature compared to other cars of same age.

if for example my car had been stolen last night and I needed one pronto because I could not do without one, I would be happy to pay £500 for that if it test drove ok (engine, gearbox, clutch) and did not look rotten when I stuck my head underneath.  The damage could be made to look a lot less bad with some tcut/mer/rubbing compound on the gashes and some touchup paint on the bits with paint missing. it wouldn't look brilliant but it would a lot less bad.