Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake clicks

Jusitne

Hello,  does any one know the correct number of clicks on eco boost handbrake? 

Mine has 2 - 3 and wondering if this means the handbrake is over tight?

mine is the same as long as its not dragging whilst driving id say its fine

jack car up on each rear wheel and spin wheel with handbrake off, it should spin freely and keep spinning when you take your hand off it. I would recommend you put in gear and chock front wheel on the side that you are jacking up rear to stop car moving when you release hand brake. sometimes when spinning the wheel you get a slight rubbing noise from inside the brake, but the important thing is it keeps spinning when you take your hand off it.  (I assume you have drum brakes on rear)

My  Cmax is the same 3 clicks to fully on, not that I normally put the hand brake on with the ratchet engaged 

Mine won't go any further than three clicks.   On the slightest slope it will roll with the handbrake off though.

Jacked car up.  The wheel spins but makes a grinding noise when it get so far round.  Does this mean the brakes, or something inside the drum, is too tight?  

• 2 years later...

Hi, manual handbrakes are rapidly disappearing across all makes and models. You don't specify what sort of model you are interested in, but afaik from current range of cars only the Fiesta, Puma, Ecosport, and Mustang (petrol) have manual handbrake levers. 

On 2/11/2020 at 8:48 AM, pragmatix said:

My  Cmax is the same 3 clicks to fully on, not that I normally put the hand brake on with the ratchet engaged 

I was always taught to hold in the button when applying the handbrake to avoid the ratchet clicking.

But when I got my 2016 Fiesta ST-Line I noticed in the hanbook it tells you not to press the button, same in my 2019 model handbook too.

41 minutes ago, Blatto said:

I was always taught to hold in the button when applying the handbrake to avoid the ratchet clicking.

Yes, you and hundreds of thousands of other learner drivers. It was for no other reason than the driving schools didn't want the ratchet wearing out on the handbrake due to being excessively used compared to a privately owned car.

With a traditional handbrake, virtually all manufactures would state that a correctly adjusted handbrake should be applied with the ratchet making 3 clicks.

Focus 1999.JPG

• Like 2

I think all manufacturers have always said that the button should not be held in when applying the Handbrake but the noise seemed to get on the nerves of Driving Instructors so they wrongly taught their pupils to press the button.

Incidentally the Handbrake on my excellent Rover 400 was set correctly at between 6 and 10 clicks according to the Official Rover Workshop Manual. Mine was set at 8 and I used to have arguments at every MOT because the Tester could not get his head around that, and it worked perfectly and that confused them more🤭

• Like 2

I think the other thing that people don't do as listed in the manual is to apply the footbrake firmly whilst pulling on the handbrake.

As for the OP's original question, my Fiesta ST-Lines (2016 & 2019) models both seem to need about 3 clicks to be fully applied. My 2019 will make 4 clicks but not sure that's needed where I park (i.e. not on steep hills)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club